GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS = gas eating monster

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 03:14 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol at meanboy.....your last post cracks me up especially "I do something called work".....eh eh eh....your userID fits perfectly.....play nice guys....
Old 11-05-01, 04:49 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I held back too. I could have said a lot meaner things. Besides, he's the one who said that the other fellow went absolutely nowhere. Ithe guy lives in a town with lots to do he doesn't need to burn four tanks worth of gas a week.

Think about it. How many of you have the time to drive 1200 miles or more a week.
Old 11-05-01, 05:02 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by meanboy

I fill up once every two weeks. I have two cars, and I do something called work. And I live a few miles from work. Even when I drove 120 miles each day I would only fill up twice a week. Where do you go? You must not live in a city.

Let's see, 300x4=1200 miles a week. You'll have a 100k on your car in 2 years.
1) First off, unless your profile is wrong, you own a GS300, not a 400, thus making any comparison of my driving/gas needs pointless.

2) I do not have 2 cars, this is my everyday driver

3) I also work...5 days a week, 8-10 hrs a day...doesnt stop me from driving a minimum of 80 miles a day on THOSE days

4) Here in jersey many people commute further than a few miles...My commute is 35 mins if im going 75-80 the whole way down without traffic...now that happens when? never. So im obviously not in a city...I use it to drive into nyc on weekends though, which is only 35 mins away..if i lived in nyc, I sure as hell wouldnt have the car anyway.

5)100k miles in 2 yrs? Believe it or not, even though we fill up 3-4 times a week, we dont go that far. My first year i had the car, it was sitting for 6 months out of the 12...and i drove 10k miles....The last two years, I have put another 32k miles....leaving me with a total of not even 42k right now.
Old 11-05-01, 05:06 PM
enginyr
Banned

Will someone please end this thread or shoot me. You pic
Old 11-05-01, 05:37 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ThemisN

1) First off, unless your profile is wrong, you own a GS300, not a 400, thus making any comparison of my driving/gas needs pointless.

2) I do not have 2 cars, this is my everyday driver

3) I also work...5 days a week, 8-10 hrs a day...doesnt stop me from driving a minimum of 80 miles a day on THOSE days

4) Here in jersey many people commute further than a few miles...My commute is 35 mins if im going 75-80 the whole way down without traffic...now that happens when? never. So im obviously not in a city...I use it to drive into nyc on weekends though, which is only 35 mins away..if i lived in nyc, I sure as hell wouldnt have the car anyway.

5)100k miles in 2 yrs? Believe it or not, even though we fill up 3-4 times a week, we dont go that far. My first year i had the car, it was sitting for 6 months out of the 12...and i drove 10k miles....The last two years, I have put another 32k miles....leaving me with a total of not even 42k right now.
Your point about me driving a GS3 and not being able to comment has no valididity. My GS3 certainly comes close to the gas mileage of a GS4. The difference in gas mileage is insignificant. EPA says 18/25 vesus 18/23. I get what, 30 miles more then you do per tank? And what the GS4 weighs about 60 lbs heavier? Yes, it does come close enough for me to comment. And of course, I cannot comment on your driving style. No one can.

So if you drive 80 miles a day, that only makes it 560 miles a week. How does that translate into 3 or even four tanks per week. At a 1/4 left over per tank that's a minimum of 45 gallons. Are you saying you use 45 gallons of gas to drive 600 miles a week? Bumper to bumper maybe. And if you do, I apologize and I hope your doing okay with the stress. Have you ever considered public transportation for work so that you can keep your GS miles down? Maybe, two of you go to work so it's cheaper that way. I know some folks like that.
Old 11-05-01, 06:50 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I go to school and my work is project based. Therefore I have all the time on my hands I want so I drive all the time to friends houses, coffe shops, school, other nearby towns etc.

I live in San Diego and the city is very large. Also I go streetracing pretty often. Not for the past few month though.

I know this thread is not going anywhere, just shooting ****
Old 11-05-01, 07:05 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

So do you rule the streets?
Old 11-05-01, 07:59 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Maybe on paper it seems that they are similar, but I personally give those ratings no credit at all. Its just a common expectation, and reality, that a V8 will burn up more than a smaller V6. In any case, again you are calculating using minimums. Those 80 miles a day are if i go to work and come back. There is such thing as going out afterwards for dinner, coffee, etc. So lets just say, that given a normal week of not going that much out on weekends, I average 100 miles a day...with those 45 gallons...that makes it 15.5 miles/ gallon? doesnt seem that farfetched now does it? Someone else with a GS4 also posted saying they usually go through 3-4 tanks a week, so stop talking like its that improbable.

Finally, I have one more thing to say bc this is no longer worth my time. Carpooling is not an option with my line of work or given that I live nowhere near anyone else I knwo at the firm. It seems that you bring this up since it seems to be a money issue for you. I know I dont care, and will never go back to a v6 for better mileage. In the same spirit, even if i could, i wouldnt save myself the 20 bucks a week to carpool rather than drive a car that was meant to be driven. And public transportation? Only if you had to deal with going into the city to work, which I dont. Again, money is not an issue when you have the joy of getting there faster and in the privacy and comfort of your luxury sports car.
Case closed.
Old 11-05-01, 08:23 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Exclamation Mine numbers and a question

I went home this weekend and for pure highway driving i got 22.5 mpg going home and 21.5 going back which was like 350 miles and the gas light just turning on....Actually it wasnt all pure highway driving because i hit some traffic and was going like 10-25 miles for 15 minutes going down and on the way up it took like 30 minutes to go 3-4 miles because of some previous accident and people rubbernecking. Some friends of mine left a couple hours earlier and supposedly got stuck in the same spot for 1.5-2 hours.

In pure city driving i get like 250 miles or like 15 mpg....

On a side not what gas do u guys use for driving? I have noticed that when i use 89 versus 87 octane i get a little better acceleration, have yet to use 93 though, but i dont recall fuel economy difference. I find it hard to put anything else in my car except 87 or regular....Its a waste to put 89 or 93 if i am on the highway and my speed stays at a constant 80-85 with very little need to pass people by flooring. The reason for this is i stay in the left lane and by going 80-85 people get passed on the right lane or move over to the right to let me pass. Where i live there, at the university, the speed limit is 20 mph so there is not much chance or need to floor it.... Ill probably get chewed out for using 87 though but oh well....
Old 11-05-01, 08:40 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Come on. A gs4 v8 is not a large v8. I had a 5.0 and it got over 22mpg on the highway and it would have matched up pretty good against a gs4. A gs3 doesn't not have a small six. And it's not a v6. At least if you are going to discuss something, know what you're talking about. It's a 3.0 straight six, and if you think it's not worth you time, fine. As seem people know, the GS3 has more performance potential then a GS4. But why am I discussing this since it isn't worth your time. In fact, I don't really care what kind of mileage you get. I hope you fill up eight times a week so the gas companies can still in business.

I can understand if you can't get to a carpool cause you don't work downtown, but if you did I bet you would still drive. You sound very stubborn, and somewhat of an elitist to suggest that I care about the money. Who has two cars and who has a daily driver?

My time is worth a lot. I don't spend it sitting in traffic being unproductive, and I don't want to waste it responding to this thread. At least if your username is associated with it.

Case closed.
Old 11-05-01, 08:59 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ThemisN
Someone else with a GS4 also posted saying they usually go through 3-4 tanks a week, so stop talking like its that improbable.
Hey, find the quote for me. I glanced over the postings and I cannot find a post where a GS4 owner fills the tank up it up four times a week besides you. Only one I found was a LS400 owner who drives around time, and does street racing.

So it's not improbable, it's just not likely if the majority of the miles are on the freeway. Unless, of course, you're a boy racer.

BTW, don't bother responding, I won't read it.

Case closed II
Old 11-06-01, 06:31 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

For your reading enjoyment....posted by Retrodrive:

"3 - 4 times a week also. Its impossible to get it once a week!"

One thing I've noticed, since my previous car was an i6....your driving habits change with what your car allows you to be able to do. I'm also sorry if you may also disagree, but I push for getting the most out of an engine using natural aspiration before thinking to use a supercharger/turbo in order to achieve the same HP that the v8 has stock.

I apologize if I sould like an elitist or that I do not have second car. I am not one to be afraid to spend money, so if I had the funds, or did not have other goals in mind, I would have already gotten my second car, which btw would have been an x5 4.4 or an ML55. I apologize for quoting your engine as a V6, instead of the i6 that it is....In my head I was just thinking 6 cylinder. Like it or not, these are mostly highway miles, with backroads mixed on both ends of each trip. I am not a "boyracer" as you seem to suggest...I do not waste my time with hondas, in fact I don;t even bother racing M3's anymore cause they arent much of a challenge. Give me something that I know can beat me, then I'll have my fun and give it a shot. Where most of my mileage is hurt is getting onto a highway, where I do not waste my time getting on. There is no way you can really tell the mileage difference between city and highway when you are constantly going between the two areas....So it may be entirely possible I push towards 18-20 mpg on the highway, however the amount of time in the various towns I go to, knocks that down significantly. That's all. My father owns an S430 having switched also from an inline 6 car, and even he has noticed a very significant loss in mileage. From where he used to fill up TOPS twice, he is now seeing 3 times a week almost a necessity. Trust me, this the idea isnt outlandish.
Old 11-06-01, 08:05 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Can't we all just get along???
Old 11-06-01, 08:23 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default a couple things....

1 Maybe you guys are fillin gup 3-4 times a week, I fill up almost every day but I only put in like 10 at a time.

in fact I don;t even bother racing M3's anymore cause they arent much of a challenge
!!!!!!!! WTF !!!!!!!
Old 11-06-01, 08:35 AM
enginyr
Banned

Talking

Attached Thumbnails GS = gas eating monster-stfu.jpg  

Quick Reply: GS = gas eating monster