GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Discharged Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-06, 04:08 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discharged Battery

Have'nt driven the 04 GS300 for about 3 weeks and I tried to start the car this morning but the battery does not have enough juice to start the car. Is this normal?
Old 12-25-06, 04:46 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would think a battery would last more than 3 weeks. unless some kind of light is on causing it to drain.
Old 12-25-06, 10:49 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

I had the same thing happen to my GS4 not to long ago. I used my little jump start pack, and got the car started. used it to run some errands, then parked it for 1 week, found the car to be dead again. battery was shot.

Somewhere in here there is a thread that talks about how some lexus batteries that came out werent very long lasting, I wouldnt be suprised if yours is shot as well.
Old 12-25-06, 11:01 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Did you have some kind of light on? I have had my Gs430 parked for about alittle more then 3 and when i did started her up there was no problem. Try going to autozone and have them check your battery.
Old 12-26-06, 12:28 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mvallido
Have'nt driven the 04 GS300 for about 3 weeks and I tried to start the car this morning but the battery does not have enough juice to start the car. Is this normal?
3 weeks might be long on a stock battery and don't realy know age and condition of battery. jump the car and have the battery tested.
Old 12-26-06, 04:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

3 weeks seems odd to me for a stock battery not starting, though not totally impossible. However, usually once they go due to sitting a bit (as opposed to running the battery down with a radio or other device) usually tough to get it going.
Old 12-26-06, 09:54 AM
mvallido
Pole Position

Dropped the battery off to autozone for free charging and testing this morning. Will keep you all posted.
Old 12-26-06, 11:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the tightness of your terminals. If they are a bit loose even after you tighten them, replace the terminal(s). Your battery may not be charging fully via the alternator if terminals are not tight. I experienced this before and my positive battery terminal was the reason for my dead batteries in the past. Had it replaced for 10 bucks at Pepboys.
Old 12-26-06, 05:15 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Got the battery back and autozone said it's good. Got the terminal tightened and the car started. I'll contact the dealer if my battery is still under warranty tomorrow.
Old 12-26-06, 10:16 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure to check your alternator output. The alternator could be contributing to your partially discharged battery.
Old 12-27-06, 08:22 AM
mvallido
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gserep1
Be sure to check your alternator output. The alternator could be contributing to your partially discharged battery.
Can Autozone check for this too or I have to take the car to the dealer?
Old 12-27-06, 10:55 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Autozone can definitely check this for you, as well as SEARS and any automotive service center.

As a note, PLEASE DO NOT remove the negative or positive cable to the battery while the engine is running, This is dangerous, and can really damage your charging system even if the alternator wasn't originally bad.

The battery puts a LOAD on the alternator causing it to charge at the rate it needs to recharge the battery. If you remove the cable, the alternator senses no load or voltage, and the voltage regulator will apply maximum field to the alternator in an attempt to charge the battery. An unregulated good alternator can supply in excess of 17-20 volts DC, (which is enough to fry your engine management computer, stereo or anything else connected at the time. this is reeally bad especially if you are revving the engine while someone else removes the cable.

I speak from experience...please don't do it that way.
Old 12-27-06, 01:08 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gserep1
Autozone can definitely check this for you, as well as SEARS and any automotive service center.

As a note, PLEASE DO NOT remove the negative or positive cable to the battery while the engine is running, This is dangerous, and can really damage your charging system even if the alternator wasn't originally bad.

The battery puts a LOAD on the alternator causing it to charge at the rate it needs to recharge the battery. If you remove the cable, the alternator senses no load or voltage, and the voltage regulator will apply maximum field to the alternator in an attempt to charge the battery. An unregulated good alternator can supply in excess of 17-20 volts DC, (which is enough to fry your engine management computer, stereo or anything else connected at the time. this is reeally bad especially if you are revving the engine while someone else removes the cable.

I speak from experience...please don't do it that way.
Thanks. I'll think I'll take her to the dealer if the battery gets discharged again. I emailed Bob Baker Lexus here in San Diego and below is their reply:

Marco,
The original battery and alternator are part of your comprehensive warranty, which is 48 months or 50,000 miles from the date of first use. According to your vin, the DOFU is 7/10/04 which is well within warranty.
Old 12-27-06, 10:47 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had problems with my oem battery too. it would loose charge quick after system installed. i did a load test and it said the battery was fine, but i did not want to deal with this problem so i just replace the battery. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-27-06, 11:35 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

MVALLIDO,
San Diego is my stomping grounds as well, and I like Bob Baker Lexus better than the OTHER dealership in town.

I DO get most of my parts from Carson Toyota just up the rad in Carson. My youngest daughter lives in Long Beach so she picks up my parts when I need them.

PM me if you want to talk offline or get together around town.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Discharged Battery