GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A Little Disappointed in my GS300.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 02:02 AM
box
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little Disappointed in my GS300.

Whats up everyone,

I bought a Lexus Certified 2002 GS300 2 months ago. 48k miles, Black Cherry/Tan. The interior is spotless and exterior is completely spotless. The overall quality of the car I couldnt be happier with...but the proformance is letting me down a little bit. I have looked at many thread and am sadly regretting not getting the GS400/GS430. I didnt do my research well enough to realize they are fairly same on the mpg. I am mainly disappointed on throttle response. I feel like the car lags with acceleration. I know that is something the V8 wouldve handled.

I know there are good mods available for the GS3. I havent done much to the car other than add a Borla rear section exhaust. What would be my best investment besides a turbo kit to increase throttle response and a quicker take off? Thanks!

Old 12-26-06, 03:33 AM
My98gs4
Driver

2jz tt head a big ol turbo, and the basic turbo upgrades

also has anyone tried doing a supra M/T swap?
Old 12-26-06, 05:52 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy bolt on method:
Torque Master Plugs
SRT Intake (if you strapped for cash K&N)

Harder bolt on:
Nitrous Kit (75 Shot)
Headers + HiFlow Cat

Hardcore:
Built-Motor OR Turbo System
Old 12-26-06, 09:19 AM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save up for the turbo kit, you'll be happy... search for posts by JPI, they're in Texas and have been putting turbos on GSs for some time now
Old 12-26-06, 09:45 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Be patient and do things right the first time, meaning just save up for the turbo kit.. you will be more than happy you did, that's just my opinion

Originally Posted by my666gs4

also has anyone tried doing a supra M/T swap?
There is a member here called DETUNED that is getting the supra 6 speed tranny swap on his GS. Check out his latest post, he mentions it there:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255683
Old 12-26-06, 09:58 AM
HAWAI'I
Rookie

did you buy your car cash? If so, and if you are really unhappy with it, sell the car, buy the V8. You will be more content in the long run if that is what you are looking for.
Old 12-26-06, 11:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your car is beautiful. I never saw a GS300 in that color, only 430's. If you are willing to have the car operated on and spend $$$, a heart transplant may be the ticket, or changing the head as some guys suggested. A stock GS300 does indeed feel lethargic compared to the inline 6 in the 5 series Bimmer.. Both cars are pigs, but the Bimmer with the inline 6 really hustles. Mod the motor on the beauty.
Old 12-26-06, 11:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

buy a gs400/430. its better than adding a bunch of mods to your car. It'll take a lot to get the same kind of power the V8 is getting, NA-wise.
Old 12-26-06, 11:56 AM
P Rock
Driver

If you're looking to mod the car, the 2JZ (GS3 engine) has more potential and parts available. Look at all these NA-T Supras running around with 600+ RWHP. If you just want something stock and don't want to modify, the 400/430 is better than the GS300 (in stock trim) but doesn't have the same potential for growth.

I'm within arms reach to a complete stock twin turbo setup from a Supra with only 45k on it...hmmmmm...... This turbo setup is factory made for the 2JZ engine so it's factory, toyota reliable. My Supra made 412 on this same stock, twin turbo setup RELIABLY. Just a few bolt ons

The 2JZ is a legend already....not too many other motors are overengineered to the point of handling 800+ RWHP on stock internals. I chose the GS3 because I'm familiar with the engine from being around high powered Supras.

Last edited by P Rock; 12-26-06 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-26-06, 12:07 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I know its easier said than done, but in your shoes I would already be looking for a V8. I had a 98 GS300 first. While it was a novelty to have my first Lex, it was indeed disappointing performance-wise. You will most likeliy take a hit on dropping your new-found ride, but look at it this way: for all the money you can spend modding the GS3, you still wont have the reliability factor (or even the performance) of a factory V8. And who knows, money-wise, it may be a wash.

I say go for the GS4. I did, and havent looked back.
Old 12-26-06, 12:11 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

get bruce nomura to boost it
Old 12-26-06, 05:40 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

one word... BOOST!!! either supercharge it or turbo it out. nothing like that swoooshhhhhhhhhhh noise I tell ya..
Old 12-26-06, 06:09 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by box
Whats up everyone,

I bought a Lexus Certified 2002 GS300 2 months ago. 48k miles, Black Cherry/Tan. The interior is spotless and exterior is completely spotless. The overall quality of the car I couldnt be happier with...but the proformance is letting me down a little bit. I have looked at many thread and am sadly regretting not getting the GS400/GS430. I didnt do my research well enough to realize they are fairly same on the mpg. I am mainly disappointed on throttle response. I feel like the car lags with acceleration. I know that is something the V8 wouldve handled.

I know there are good mods available for the GS3. I havent done much to the car other than add a Borla rear section exhaust. What would be my best investment besides a turbo kit to increase throttle response and a quicker take off? Thanks!

Get a supercharger less stress on the motor. Big bang for the buck trust me I know . You will love the s/c sound quite, but a hint of a beast waiting to be unleased.
Old 12-27-06, 03:40 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99 GS 300
save up for the turbo kit, you'll be happy... search for posts by JPI, they're in Texas and have been putting turbos on GSs for some time now
I havent been able to find too many places online that offer turbo kits for 02 GS3. I am also not too familiar with good manufacturers. Any recommendations would be good.
Old 12-27-06, 03:43 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Your car is beautiful. I never saw a GS300 in that color, only 430's. If you are willing to have the car operated on and spend $$$, a heart transplant may be the ticket, or changing the head as some guys suggested. A stock GS300 does indeed feel lethargic compared to the inline 6 in the 5 series Bimmer.. Both cars are pigs, but the Bimmer with the inline 6 really hustles. Mod the motor on the beauty.
Thank you! I happen to be at the right place at the right time to run into this GS. The dealer told me they've only gotten 2 in that color in the last four years. The car has been maintained so nicely. The interior looks like its never been touched. That is one of the few reasons why I dont really want to part with it and move on to a GS4. I am looking into turbo but am just a bit worried about losing the reliability.

Quick Reply: A Little Disappointed in my GS300.