GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

No White X-Mas, No White Winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 04:41 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No White X-Mas, No White Winter

This is to be taken more in a humerous way than on a serious note. Today (which is my birthday BTW) we've yet to recieve a trace of snow. Although most of you here have had your rides for some time now, this is my first winter with the car. Normally, we would get some kind of measurable snow but nothing yet. I've read a lot of posts over the months about the GS and it's poor handling in winter weather. I'm actually awaiting snow so that I can drive and see myself how my car performs and handles. Usually we get a lot of snow in Jan & Feb but when you get temps in the 50's, snow seems way down the road. Trust me, I don't like the snow especially when I have to drive 25+ miles to get to work.

Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-26-06, 04:51 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats snow?
Old 12-26-06, 05:25 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you're saying, the fact that we haven't had ANY snow yet is just crazy. I'm debating though, part of me is going nuts because I want to break the snowboard out and hit the slopes, the other part of me is really liking the idea of being able to drive the GS in Dec. Once the salt hits the roads it's time for the GS to go into hibernation,
Old 12-26-06, 06:13 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Old 12-26-06, 07:45 PM
olddog
Pole Position

happy birthday man.
and i can't believe you await snow.
i and the gs are loviiiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg the snowless december.
Old 12-26-06, 11:45 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

happy belated birthday, and i hate the snow, out in Kansas we dont get it too often, but when it doesn, its no fun to drive in!
Old 12-27-06, 05:04 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Let's see, I've got just over 5 hours of daylight, -4 F, ice fog and about 3 feet of snow. Wanna trade? Actually, I like winter, just wish it wasn't so long up here. My opinion, if you know how to drive in winter conditions and have the right tires, the GS is an amazing winter car. Deep snow, over 12", is it's only hinderance. Picture just taken out my front door.....,
Attached Thumbnails No White X-Mas, No White Winter-snow1.jpg  
Old 12-27-06, 06:53 AM
yelnoc
Rookie

After 30 winters in the mid-west in the following cars to name a few, 73 VW Beetle, 75’VW Rabbit, various old GM beaters, a 2 wheel drive Ford Ranger, and three Honda Accords, I spent the last four winters with a 02 Mustang GT as my daily driver. In my experience unless you go with 4 wheel or all-wheel drive, it is about a wash between front and rear wheel drive. I drove in the most snow and got stuck the least in the old Beetle and the car that handles the best in the snow has been my wife’s AWD Honda CRV (may be its only redeeming quality).

As of friend from AK says, it’s the depth that gets you and it gets you with front or rear drive. I keep my GS in the garage through rain and snow. I know not everyone has that choice, but having had to drive that Mustang in the snow for four winters, I never got stuck with it except in deep snow in my driveway. A GS cannot be worse. Also much easier to do donuts
Old 12-27-06, 07:02 AM
David1969
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrurmil
whats snow?

+1

Never snows in San Antonio. I've never seen snow in person in 37 years of existence.
Old 12-27-06, 09:25 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Happy birthday man

The GS is definately one of the best handling cars ive had in winterconditions...that is IF you get a decent set of wintertires...(and this offcourse goes for every var out there) and not those horrendous M+S-marked tires
Old 12-27-06, 10:47 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the belated birthdays guys.
I'm just looking for just a couple of inches of snow to see if the GS will be a slippin' and a slidin'. For 2 or 3 feet a snow, they'll be no test of the handling since the car and me will be permanantly stuck at home for days like most others.
Old 12-28-06, 09:13 AM
lostinthew
Driver

I have 4 snows to make it easy here in Chicago, although we had only one snow fall of 8 inches about three weeks ago. Without the right tires you'll be in trouble! Good luck!
Old 12-28-06, 11:17 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the snow too. You guys might be offended or something, but I drive my GS in the snow and love it. Just use the snow button to get out, and drive careful. I rather have white stuff, instead of this bleak weather that we have now.
Old 12-28-06, 05:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
This is to be taken more in a humerous way than on a serious note. Today (which is my birthday BTW) we've yet to recieve a trace of snow. Although most of you here have had your rides for some time now, this is my first winter with the car. Normally, we would get some kind of measurable snow but nothing yet. I've read a lot of posts over the months about the GS and it's poor handling in winter weather. I'm actually awaiting snow so that I can drive and see myself how my car performs and handles. Usually we get a lot of snow in Jan & Feb but when you get temps in the 50's, snow seems way down the road. Trust me, I don't like the snow especially when I have to drive 25+ miles to get to work.

Happy New Year!!!
I was in Delaware working until Dec 21st when I came down to Alabama. It is odd we did not get any measurable snow, it did snow for like 45 minutes about 3 or 4 weeks ago one night but it did not accumalate. I have Z rated Pilot Sports on my GS so I don't think they would do too well in the snow so I am glad it was snow free. Now that I am in Alabama I at least don't have to worry too much about snow other then small amounts.

I know the IS300 is terrible on slick roads. My friends IS300 lost control that was following me at the same speed I was going in my Honda Accord at the time taking a slight turn and I know of someone else whose IS300 suddenly lost control under normal driving in the snow. I even read in a magazine where their long term IS300 was totaled from loosing control in the snow. Hopefully our GS's are a little better.
Old 12-28-06, 07:44 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
I was in Delaware working until Dec 21st when I came down to Alabama. It is odd we did not get any measurable snow, it did snow for like 45 minutes about 3 or 4 weeks ago one night but it did not accumalate. I have Z rated Pilot Sports on my GS so I don't think they would do too well in the snow so I am glad it was snow free. Now that I am in Alabama I at least don't have to worry too much about snow other then small amounts.

I know the IS300 is terrible on slick roads. My friends IS300 lost control that was following me at the same speed I was going in my Honda Accord at the time taking a slight turn and I know of someone else whose IS300 suddenly lost control under normal driving in the snow. I even read in a magazine where their long term IS300 was totaled from loosing control in the snow. Hopefully our GS's are a little better.
Judging by your username, I take it that you attend U of D right?
It sounds like you have yet driven your GS in the snow yet or maybe it's new tires that you have that have not touched snow yet. So you said it snowed about 3 weeks ago? That was probably when I spent some days in Jersey and it did snow over there but it was just flurries; nothing extreme. I know it's coming. If we have a snow free January then something is definitely bizarre.

Quick Reply: No White X-Mas, No White Winter