GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starter problem. No click, nothing. What's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 08:44 AM
mosesgolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problem. No click, nothing. What's going on?

My 98 GS400 is having a starter problem. When I go to start the car, there's no click. This has been going on for the last couple days. This happened yesterday and I had the AAA guy come out. He put the car in drive, moved it a little and it started. He said he somehow got the starter to loosen up. Anyways, the car starts fine the whole day and I even turned off the car and started the engine 5 times in a row to test for good measure. It fired fine. But when I go to start the car again this morning, no click, no noise, no nothing. Do I need a new starter? What's going on?
Old 12-28-06, 11:09 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a loose wire somewhere. If the starter was gone, you would hear a single click, which you do not. So consider yourself lucky... and try and trace the battery terminals. Sounds like the starter isnt getting any juice to begin with.
Old 12-28-06, 11:20 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree sounds like something is just loose.
Old 12-28-06, 12:44 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES,
I agree. Please check all your connections on the battery. Securely tighten both the negative and positive cable ends and then try to move them. If they still move, replace that bad terminal end. It sounds silly but make sure the battery is good. A weak battery cangive you that same click. Eliminate the battery and go from there.

The positive cable end is really prone to this because it is surrounded by plastic, and it is really easy to overtighten it when installing a battery. Some installers at shops tighten that end until it can't go anymore, and that bends the entire assembly. Even when tightened up all the way, mine came off very easily when I moved it, so I had to replace it. Thed battery was good, but the connection was bad.

Lexus parts will stick you for over $20.00 for a new one, while Toyota parts is considerably less. It is the same part that goes on an Avalon or other large Toyota cars.

Pep Boys or Autozone have even better prices for their generic terminal ends. They work the same without the plastic corrosion-fighting cover. I paid $3.99 for mine and treated it for corrosion with spray. Works the same.

However, if correcting all of this still results in an intermittent "click" especially in the morning, it is possible that your starter is failing. Mine started just that way. Months after replacing the terminal end, the clicking started again.

It got so bad, I was sitting one time for over 10 minutes of clicking before it would start. I finally broke down and replaced the starter myself a couple of days later.

There are some tutorials on this website showing how to change the starter on the LS / GS400/430 1UZFE engine, but I've seen nothing on the 6 cylinder engine.

Dealers get $500.00 to $600.00 with labor to do the job. I paid under 300 bucks for the starter and I did it myself after buying 2 intake manifold gaskets and 2 water gaskets out back.

Good luck

Last edited by gserep1; 12-28-06 at 12:48 PM. Reason: 1
Old 12-28-06, 12:47 PM
Machog
Driver

I had exactly the same thing , stuck in Home Depot parking lot and I agree with the others, probably a loose battery terminal. I ended up putting lock nuts and then battery grease on both terminals-no trouble since.
Old 12-28-06, 01:21 PM
mosesgolf
Driver School Candidate

Battert terminals are fine. All the electric components work. If not the starter, than could it be the starter relay? BTW, how do you remove the starter relay? I can pull that thing out no matter how hard I yank on it.
Old 12-28-06, 11:52 PM
pardesi
Rookie

I agree with GSEREP1 ... my borhters GS400 did the same. Had the same issue. One time it would start fine then all the sudden just click and nothing happed. It was time to replace the starter, so we replaced it along with two gaskets.
Old 12-29-06, 12:00 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

The starter's main relay, or "solenoid", sits atop the actual starter. On the 1UZFE engine, the starter is buried beneath the intake manifold.

I did mine in 4 1/2 hours with 2 intake manifold gaskets, and 2 water outlet gaskets for the rear of the head near the starter.

Since it was so hard to get to, I elected to change the whole starter complete with solenoid. It is not worth it to me to do part of the job, and then have to go back in there again anytime soon because I tried to save a few bucks.

Last edited by gserep1; 12-29-06 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-29-06, 08:30 AM
mosesgolf
Driver School Candidate

Having it towed and taking it to a repair shop. Thanks for the info gentleman.
Old 12-29-06, 10:01 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

That's probably smart, if you don;t have the time or inclination to do it yourself. The shop can get a discount on the price of the starter and may not pass all the cost to you.

Good luck and keep in touch with your update.
Old 01-01-07, 01:23 PM
mosesgolf
Driver School Candidate

Yup. Definitely the starter. $700 to replace at my local shop which is much better than what the dealer asks. Regardless, my GS400 w/ 165000 miles was a near flawless automobile in the time I had it but w/ expensives repair bills possibly down the road--transmission, timing belt, I traded it in on a Merc E350 lease. I'll be back to Lexus w/ possibly the ISF or a higher powered GS4xx down the road. Anyways, thanks for all the generous advice.
Old 01-01-07, 11:31 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW MERCEDES. I am sure you will enjoy it. The GS should still be in good shape, and a starter that lasted 165,000 miles definitely did its' job.

Mine lasted 122,000 miles, and some go sooner than that. It all depends on how it is used.

A timing belt is a wear and tear item and is changed every 90,000 miles or so. The transmissions inour cars are known to last over 300,000 miles IF they are properly maintained.

I think you were ready for a new car, and wanted new car reliability and a warranty. All cars need maintenance from time to time, and your new car is no exception. You don't seem to have the time or the inclination to do your own work, and sooner or later we all reach a point where we cut our losses and get something new.

Don't be a stranger and keep in touch. You've been bit by the Lexus bug....ONE DAY YOU'LL BE BACK, ha ha.
Old 01-02-07, 09:35 AM
sadiqtt
Driver School Candidate

Check the starter contacts, the same thing happened to my 4runner and it was just a matter of fixing up the contacts.
good luck!
Old 01-02-07, 10:07 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

had the same problem different motor, 2jz the positive battery cable was loose at the starter end. Tightened it up, no more problems.
Old 01-02-07, 12:00 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

I had intermittent problems with my GS400 for about 4 months. It would click and then eventually start as I kept clicking (1 or 2 tries). As the weather got cold it got worse. It actually finally got cold enough that it did not even actuate (no click). I went over every cable I could and had no desire to get into the starter. I replaced it last Saturday and everything has been a dream since. It took about 5 hrs in my garage.

Quick Reply: Starter problem. No click, nothing. What's going on?