GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need HELP! on how to get drivers side back back spark plug out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 04:55 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP! on how to get drivers side back back spark plug out.

I'm in the middle of changing my spark plugs and I'm having a little problem:

How do you get the drivers side back spark plug out? There is so little room and I can't figure out how to do it.

I have an extension for my spark plug socket that locks it in place so you don't lose the socket - but it's too long and won't fit with so little room on that back one.

So can someone post exactly what tools to use, with how you did it, to get the back driver's side spark plug out. The more info the better!

I read in another post to use a long 5/8 spark plug socket - will that work to get that back one out? However, it seems that the long one might not fit in there either with it being so cramped. The cars apart so any info ASAP would be much appreciated.

Thanks all,

Scott Peebles
2000 GS400
Old 12-30-06, 05:56 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Do you have the flex drive ... looks and works like cv-joint. This will give you vertually any angle when placed between the socket and the lever-arm.

See the sticky thread on spark plugs.

Salim
Old 12-30-06, 07:19 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

It's easier if you have a 1/2" drive set since the pieces tend to stay together.

Pretty sure I used a cv joint, a 5" shaft and a 10" shaft.
Old 12-30-06, 11:13 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Hey guys thanks for posting -- but I don't think I was clear enough of what my problem is.

Okay - I've got the spark plug socket and with the 3" extension on it and with the 3" extension it's too short - needs to be longer to stick out of the hole to turn with the ratchet. But with the 6" extension attached to the spark plug socket it's too long to get the spark plug socket into the hole due to the limited space on that back drivers side plug with very little room.

So how do you get the spark plug socket into this hole with the limited room and having it long enough to come out so you can turn it?

Do you just drop the spark plug socket into the hole and then put the extensions on it to turn and get it out? Thats my big question - what trick is there to get the spark plug socket in and out with the limited room? And what size socket extensions work? I'm not concerned about the rachet.

Sooo - I went out tonight and looked for other sizes of extensions and found a 1 3/4" extension to add to the 3" extension to make it longer. I'm planning on trying this in the morning. However, I'm concerned I will get it all in there and then the extensions will come apart with the spark plug stuck in the spark plug socket and then what do you do? Maybe duct tape to keep it all together?!

I did not find any other sizes of extensions other than 3" and 6". I was thinking a 4" or 5" would work find but after going to Home Depot, Osh, and Auto Zone no luck anywhere. I tried to find the long spark plug socket one of the other members posted about but no one had this either. Anyone know where to get one?

And what is a cv joint? Please explain this more.

Thanks for any advice on this!

Scott
Old 12-31-06, 06:40 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how I do it .....

1 Determine which extention will clear the end of the plughole WITH THE SOCKET SEATED ON THE PLUG.

2. Drop the socket in then the extension, feel the extension go into the socket, seat the socket on the plug

3. Attach a Flex-head socket wrench to the extenstion and remove the plug

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...&gobutton=find

DaveC
Old 12-31-06, 08:35 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Bossgs4 - thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

Jonathan - what size inlet are your Borla Tips? Is it 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 that fit on the GS? They look great!
Old 12-31-06, 04:00 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Thanks all - got a universal joint and this did the trick!

Scott