GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why is my tire rubbing my fender liner? Bone stock '03 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 08:19 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why is my tire rubbing my fender liner? Bone stock '03 GS300

For some reason my front drivers side wheel is making contact (rubbing) with the plastic fender liner. If I make a hard left turn, if I exit a driveway, or if there is a dip on the road going highway speeds. It's hitting in 2 different spots and Lexus could not find anything wrong, they ordered a new fender liner for the car, but obviously something is causing this to happen. Everything is within spec (including tires) and the ride height is correct.

Help.
Old 12-30-06, 09:05 PM
kendre
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altered suspension?

Is it possible the suspension is not original, or has been lowered slightly? I have 20's and L-tuned shocks/springs, which lowered my car about 1-1/2 inches, and I have the exact same rubbing issue only on the front left side when turning my steering wheel sharply to the RIGHT and reversing. I have never understood why the same doesn't happen on the right side when turning the wheel in the opposite direction, etc. I never had that problem when I had stock wheels and suspension though.

-Kendre
Attached Thumbnails Why is my tire rubbing my fender liner?  Bone stock '03 GS300-p1000259.jpg  
Old 12-30-06, 10:06 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

happened to me a few times too with my bone stock 2001 GS300 as well
stock suspension, stock 16" tires/rims

only happens to me when im coming out of a parking ramp with full turn of steering wheel

i got my mechanic to check the bottom of the car while we had it on a shop lift and he saw nothing wrong with the car
maybe the stock suspension is just too soft
Old 12-31-06, 11:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Stock 16 tire spec is taller than 17. Stock suspension has VERY long shock/spring travel, so low speeds allow huge movement of body, leading to possibly rubbing, especially with 16s.
Old 12-31-06, 01:12 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

I'm blown away... I thought the dealer was just blowing smoke up my a$$ or was to lazy to really do a full check on my front end, but you guys are basically telling me to accept it!? From a car this highly engineered, I wouldn't expect a BS problem like this... but I love my car, I just thought there was something majorly wrong...

My car was actually rubbing so much last week that the fender liner was smoking after I parked...
Old 12-31-06, 07:21 PM
lexus_mouh
Driver School Candidate

Default hi there

[is it the back side or front did u try lifting
Old 01-02-07, 11:50 AM
flashbang
Driver

my gs4 has the same problem on the left rear side
does not make sense when only one side scracth the fender maybe I should do a fender roll?
Old 01-02-07, 12:50 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lexus_mouh
[is it the back side or front did u try lifting
The tire is rubbing the fender liner at the very top, dead center of the wheel well. It is also rubbing on the side (kind of behind the shock/strut assembly). My feelings are that I shouldn't have to try anything. My car is a completely stock setup. I seriously doubt that the fender liner was rubbing when the car was new so there is a problem somwhere in the suspension or something... Like I said, the dealer ordered a new fender liner and if that liner rubs as well, it is going straight back to the dealer again. It's a good thing that I work out of town during the week so I do not need my car...
Old 01-02-07, 09:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

What are your exact tire sizes? (All 3 numbers, e.g., 235/55-16 or something like that)

And did you buy your car new? If not, maybe it had changed springs or shocks and you don't know? Or just maybe the shocks are trashed.
Old 01-02-07, 11:12 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I upgraded my tires to 245/45ZR17 (up 10mm in width from the original 235/45ZR17) and one of my tires was rubbing the fender liner when I put it in reverse and cranked the wheel all the way to the right

My mechanic just took a small metal clip (it looked like a big paper clip) and clipped the fender liner to the fender because it was sticking out a little bit. That solved the problem for like 25 cents and 1 minute of labor

I didn't think I would have to worry about rubbing with 245s either, because the Lexus dealership around here actually recommended that size, they said they had 245s and 225s in stock, but no 235s, which is strange because those were the OEM size.
Old 01-03-07, 08:13 PM
socalgs300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chin
The tire is rubbing the fender liner at the very top, dead center of the wheel well. It is also rubbing on the side (kind of behind the shock/strut assembly). My feelings are that I shouldn't have to try anything. My car is a completely stock setup. I seriously doubt that the fender liner was rubbing when the car was new so there is a problem somwhere in the suspension or something... Like I said, the dealer ordered a new fender liner and if that liner rubs as well, it is going straight back to the dealer again. It's a good thing that I work out of town during the week so I do not need my car...

your stock shocks may be blown...by the way it sounds it seems like it, blown shocks are soft like that. my friends car similarly has the same symptoms but he lowered his car and it started rubbing after awhile too he checked it out and his shock was blown.
Old 01-04-07, 05:40 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

Its not normal, for me... I nevered had any rubbing issues when my car was stock
Old 01-04-07, 07:19 AM
overboost
Rookie

Definitely not normal, I have a stock GS3 and have no rubbing issues at all, didnt have them when I had 18's on them with stock setup either. Something is definitely wrong and I tend to agree about blown shocks.
Old 01-04-07, 09:05 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by overboost
Definitely not normal, I have a stock GS3 and have no rubbing issues at all, didnt have them when I had 18's on them with stock setup either. Something is definitely wrong and I tend to agree about blown shocks.
I wonder if my shocks would be covered under my original warranty? Anyone know? The dealer already said the ride height is correct, but my fender liner rubs even on a level road, making a hard turn barely moving...
Old 01-04-07, 11:03 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What are your exact tire sizes? (All 3 numbers,

Just in case, what is on the car?

Quick Reply: Why is my tire rubbing my fender liner? Bone stock '03 GS300