GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ready to buy my GS 430..last min check list.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-07, 10:52 AM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ready to buy my GS 430..last min check list.

Id probably be flying out this weekend and driving her back from Nevada. I pulled a car fax and got this though.

09/24/2004 Utah
Police Report
Case #8----- Accident Reported
in Salt Lake County
Involving a front impact
It hit a motor vehicle
Left rear damage reported

The car looks to be in good shape from the pictures, and is not reporting any frame damage. Is this something I should proceed on? (03 430 w/ 50K miles for 24,500 silv/blk/ML/Nav) First time out of state buyer. Just don't wanna wind up doing one of these...

Last edited by YeShrug; 01-01-07 at 10:53 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 01-01-07, 11:35 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't buy one that's been hit/repaired unless it was really cheap.
Old 01-01-07, 02:25 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

hey it's the dude from OT. you're selling the tl?
Old 01-01-07, 03:30 PM
rjgraham
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too much money for a wrecker
Old 01-01-07, 03:41 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with the other folks too. I wouldn't pay that much for a car that's been in an accident.
Old 01-01-07, 04:44 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hold on everyone. We don't know what kind of accident it was in ... serious or minor and to what level it was repaired. If it was in a big time wreck, I concur with the peanut gallery on passing this one up regardless of the quality of the fix.

However, I believe that you would be grossly negligent if you didn't have a reputable shop or two inspect it prior to buying it. If you've got a good feeling from the seller on the car, pick it up for a day and make your round of appointments. If the airfare is too steep, ask the seller to take the car to the appointments that you set. In this case, I'd be rather leery since the shops would be dealing with the seller and their actions might be compromised. Oh one more thing, let the seller know that you'll share the results of the inspections in case concessions need to be made on the price. If the seller won't agree to at least consider budging on the price if they see an inspection report showing that it needs $2,000 of work, what's that say for them?!

Choose from the Lexus dealer in SLC (Larry Miller) or Provo (Lindon, another Larry Miller) AND a body shop. Spend a few hundred bucks up front to protect yourself from a PITA later.

P.S. TL? Trunk looks more like a CL to me.
Old 01-01-07, 05:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^nope. just the fact that it has a check on its carfax is enough for for me. when he goes to sell it he'll have to deal with leery buyers. also, half the time minor and not so minor stuff doesn't even show up on carfax, so for this to actually make a carfax report must have been significant.
Old 01-01-07, 05:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TheAcclude
Id probably be flying out this weekend and driving her back from Nevada. I pulled a car fax and got this though.

09/24/2004 Utah
Police Report
Case #8----- Accident Reported
in Salt Lake County
Involving a front impact
It hit a motor vehicle
Left rear damage reported

The car looks to be in good shape from the pictures, and is not reporting any frame damage. Is this something I should proceed on? (03 430 w/ 50K miles for 24,500 silv/blk/ML/Nav) First time out of state buyer. Just don't wanna wind up doing one of these...
Avoid......
Old 01-01-07, 10:06 PM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Thanks for all of the insight guys. What worries me is that I fly out there and then I can see sanding marks in the paint or something. I was looking to do something this weekend on it. For the price though I might try and get em down to the lower 20s as retail is 32k according to KBB. This would be my first out of state purchase so I just don't want this to blow up in my face (no pun intended).
Old 01-01-07, 10:09 PM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ChrisES
hey it's the dude from OT. you're selling the tl?
Yes, looking for 15.5.

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/254377800.html.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...e/IMG_6578.jpg

post scottwax.com lovin

Last edited by YeShrug; 01-01-07 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-01-07, 10:09 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Whats KBB on the car.

I would consider it if the price was right. I would not pay the same for that one as one just like it that was not in a accident.
Old 01-01-07, 10:52 PM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
Whats KBB on the car.

I would consider it if the price was right. I would not pay the same for that one as one just like it that was not in a accident.

thats the "wrecked" side

More Photos Condition Value

Excellent
$35,575

Suggested Retail Value Assumes Excellent Condition... More

Search Local Listings
Get a CARFAX History Report
Vehicle Highlights
Mileage: 49,888
Engine: V8 4.3 Liter
Transmission: 5-Speed Auto (ECT-i)
Drivetrain: RWD

Selected Equipment Change Equipment
Standard
Auto-Climate Control Cruise Control Leather
Power Steering AM/FM Stereo Dual Power Seats
Power Windows Cassette Moon Roof
Power Door Locks CD Auto-Changer
Telescoping Wheel Dual Front Air Bags

Optional
Mark Levinson Audio DVD System Traction Control
Navigation System F&R Side Air Bags Chrome Wheels

Blue Book Suggested Retail Value
The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.
Vehicle Condition Ratings Check Vehicle Title History Excellent
$35,575

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.
* Nevada 1/1/2007

Blue Book Retail Value Assumes Excellent ConditionThis value assumes the vehicle has received the cosmetic and/or mechanical reconditioning needed to qualify it as 'Excellent'. This is not a transaction value; it is representative of a dealer’s asking price and the starting point for negotiation.
Old 01-01-07, 10:54 PM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Whats a good way to negotiate on a wrecked car? Should I state the carfax reports info? I want a GS yesterday but I also dont want to lock myself in to a 3-5 yr commitment Ill regret.
Old 01-01-07, 11:23 PM
Gixxed_Spyder
Driver School Candidate

I'd skip it, I just picked up an 03 Certified Blk/Blk Nav/ML 430 with 43k miles for 29k. The certification was pretty important to me, 3 year warranty from time you buy it or 100k miles...
Old 01-01-07, 11:36 PM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gixxed_Spyder
I'd skip it, I just picked up an 03 Certified Blk/Blk Nav/ML 430 with 43k miles for 29k. The certification was pretty important to me, 3 year warranty from time you buy it or 100k miles...

Hey where did you find yours? I just located an 02 in TN.

What do you guys think? I cant get over what I thought was my dream ride being wrecked :-/

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modeli...ref=srl#vdptop

am I correct that the DVD is the only major upgrade from 02-03?

Quick Reply: Ready to buy my GS 430..last min check list.