GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Condensation Problems....Foggy Windows...NOT headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07 | 06:42 PM
Metlupass2
Driver

Default Condensation Problems....Foggy Windows...NOT headlights!

I've had my '02 GS SD for a couple months now. It seems that whenever it rains out all 4 of my door windows fog up terribly. I turn on the defrost and it doesn't help much except for the area around my side view mirrors, where those vents are on the doors. Sometimes it gets so bad that I have to roll my windows down to see. Yesterday it was 49 degrees and raining. I had the temp set at like 74 inside the car, not too hot or anything and same problem. I turned on the AC, still nothin. I have the air flow button coming from the outside and still nothin. Anyone have any ideas or similar problems? Its a REAL BIG PAIN!!

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-05-07 | 07:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Make sure the AC compressor is running. As in the light on the AC button is lit. Also try to lower the temperature in the car....say around 70 or so. As for the air, try to put it on recirculating rather than venting from outside.
Old 01-05-07 | 07:22 PM
Metlupass2
Driver

When the light is on that means the AC is on right? It seems to make it worse when I recirculate the air from only inside the car rather than from outside.

Thanks
Old 01-06-07 | 01:19 AM
tmeg
Driver School Candidate

Recirculation increases the fog problem, if the AC is not put on. So if AC does not work, just increase the temperature and let the air flow from outside. If AC works fine, after a very short time the fog should be gone, regardless of other settings.
Old 01-06-07 | 07:16 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Here's my observation with fogging and icing issues. Number 1 cause: moisture in the cabin. My GS generally stays clean of any of these conditions when I'm alone in the car. However, last week I had my daughter and 2 grand daughters in the car and the rear side windows fogged up quickly. I believe this was due to 2 reasons, the snow they tracked into car and their breathing thus exhaling more moisture. We were on our way to Anchorage, 62 miles away, and the fog didn't completely disappear by the time we arrived. Kinda pissed me off . The fogging hung around for several days. I don't have a garage so parking it in there with the windows cracked (to allow the moisture to escape) isn't an option for me. I ended getting rid of it by accident. I was picking up the wife, it was -4F outside so I left the car running with my window cracked open about 1 inch while I waited for her. 15 minutes later no more fog and the windows are once again staying clear. My suggestion is to have the AC on, fresh air on, Temp set around 74 and the driver's window slightly cracked open while you drive. If you have a heated garage, leave all of the windows down overnight. Another thing that has caused this in the past with other vehicles I owned was clogged drainage holes in the doors. Moisture can and does make it's way by the windows seals. Good Luck, fogged windows are a pain, but the grand kids love drawing stick figures on them!!!
Old 01-06-07 | 07:46 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Here's my observation with fogging and icing issues. Number 1 cause: moisture in the cabin. My GS generally stays clean of any of these conditions when I'm alone in the car. However, last week I had my daughter and 2 grand daughters in the car and the rear side windows fogged up quickly.
This happens to me a lot even when I'm the only one in the car. It always starts on the back window and the fog ends up on all the passenger windows But then again I did have the air in the recirculate mode.
Old 01-06-07 | 10:46 AM
salimshah

Try this:

1. Use a clean wet chamois or towel (lint free) to clean the inside of all windows.... yeah the rear is a real pita. This removes all dust particles and reduces the surface area for moisture to condence on.

2. Keep the AC on auto and set what ever temprature you like. You can heat the cabin with AC on. The cold AC heat exchanger pulls the moisture more than the cool windows.

3. Use the defogger if necessary

Make sure your A/C drain is not clogged.... During high humid summer days that is where the condensate drips. With AC on during winter this is where the condesate should drip out as well. If the condesnate does not flow out it collects and re-circulates and thus you hunidity level never drops.

Salim