GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Trip To SRT - LONG

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 06:09 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up My Trip To SRT - LONG

My Trip To SRT - LONG

Disclaimer: IMHO, YMMV, HTH, etc., etc., etc.

MrJohnson and I had scheduled appointments this past weekend at SRT. Me, for a TC and Intake install, and him, for a SC - Giddy Up

The Staff

Mo
He knows his ****; every single bolt size, fitting, how to do, order, etc. He was also kind enough
to let us hang around and watch him and Marken work; if you have a question, he will answer
it; very laid back, funny guy, but when he’s working, he’s very focused.

Marken
Mr. Laid Back; - just messing guy. He seemed the perfect extra set of hands that Mo needed while working.

The Atmosphere
Again, laid back, but focused with a sense of urgency; we all joked around about different things – my overwhelming sense of cleanliness was my undoing….from my engine bay, to my interior, my undercarriage, and the exterior; I was told I have a ‘problem’ ;p Oh yeah, I washed my car and engine bay after I got back fro the 5 hour drive…..

The Torque Converter
This was very cool to witness. My car was up on the lift and seemed to have itself gutted from underneath – the exhaust, drive shafts and respective shields, the tranny, and a catalytic converter. The most stressful part of the visit was when one of the tranny housing bolts was fouled up or something and wouldn’t come out. LSS, the bolt broke flush with the housing after abut an hour of slowly working it out, then waiting for it to cool, applying WD40, then repeat. We decided to leave it in, especially considering there were 9 other firmly keeping the housing in place. OEM TC is heavy. Absolutely use nothing but OEM Toyota/Lexus ATF Fluid. Mo was very clear on this.

The bolts on the catalytic converter were also tough and one had to be drilled out and replaced.

At the end of Sat, when the TC was in and functioning, Mo took my car and me for a test drive. Keep in mind that the intake had not been installed yet.

Holy ****. I see new tires in the near future. Incredible launch. I almost had to check my shorts when we were done with the test drive! It was a little scary, OK, it was VERY scary, but Mo was always in control and never flinched while I was about to come out of my skin. It’s one thing to ride in someone’s car that has the TC; it’s another to actually feel and control it. Standard launches from 0 are solid and still very smooth, and of course quicker. The higher stall speed is almost imperceptible, and the shifts glide a little more. At highway speeds the kickdown form 5 to 4 comes sooner and with more authority. 5 to 3 is climactic.

Mo couldn’t get his hands on any Tranny Coolers, so I’ll have to do that myself later. This was really the only disappointment for the trip, but the cooler isn’t an absolutely integral part for my average style of driving, and its cooling off around here anyway…..

The Intake
Sun morning I had my Intake installed. Well, I thought the TC was nice, this was throwing more gas onto the fire.

The quality and finish of the materials is good, but I had hoped for better fits where the heat shield meets the engine bay, and where the tube passes through the heat shield. Maybe variances in the model years or fab processes, I dunno; I was so giddy at the time, I missed it and didn’t ask about it. See all the intake pics here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/sh10298/l...view=t&.view=t

That’s easily resolved with some weather-stripping, or some surgical tubing…I plan on powder coating it later anyway….

The ECU is now kept inside the wiring box, not on top like the previous design. Stealthy; me likey

This test drive was very impressive!

Tire breaks galore
Throttle steering
MUCH quicker throttle response
Tire breaks from a roll!
The engine roars nicely under WOT, but under normal driving, barely perceptible.
The ‘whistle’ issue: can’t hear it unless under very hard acceleration; again, under normal driving, barely perceptible – maybe I got a quiet one, I dunno.

The CL Drop Ins
GSPusher – you and your brother are slick; I really enjoyed meeting you guys; you too Arthur; very sweet SC3.

Other things. I didn’t have any kills on the way back. I passed a beautiful red Turbo 911, but he was traveling slowly, and I ain’t stupid. VA is covered in State Patrol – I easily saw 10-15 on 95; usually in bunches, marked and unmarked, with all kinds of cars pulled. I only went 10 over through the whole state. I don’t know how anyone can drive that slow all the time.

That’s about it. I feel confident I will be going back sometime for more goodies. For me, it’s well worth the drive to have a truly knowledgeable team like SRT do the work.

My UGO STB were waiting for me when I got back Sunday, so I'll get those in this week...

Later
Old 11-05-01, 06:22 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dexter,
Nice write-up and pix! Enjoy the new power, and keep us posted as to how badly your mileage begins to suffer.
Old 11-05-01, 07:14 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Congratulations on your new setup. Clearly, you'll love it.
Old 11-05-01, 07:25 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I say I am jealous!??!?!?!
Congratz on the new found power.
Old 11-05-01, 10:30 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Thanks for the shot out to me and my twin brother. We enjoyed your company too Dexter & Mr. Johnson. I will be back up there real soon talking to Mo about my set up. Just keep those Mustang owners down in N.C. in their places......hahaha!
Old 11-05-01, 01:54 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Congratulations Dexter!!! Nice mods...The "issue" with the small gaps between the mounting points on the heat-shield are intentional....Metal-on-metal would not be a good solution (trully a nice piece as you mentioned)...Performance is the EXACT same either way. Cosmetically, if it bothers you, use the same material that MO supplies for lining the heat shield opening.(know what I mean?)
Oh yeah, I may be the reason that the heat shield openings are larger now.(not positive though...) When I recieved my intake/ecu, the heat shield opening was NOT large enough to accomodate the connection between the intake pipe and air-element. Also, I accidentally got an IS300 ecu instead of a GS400 ecu.
MO immediately had a heat shield machined 1/4 inch larger for me and overnight mailed me the new ecu(AM delivery at his expense)
Needless to say the fit was PERFECT then. My personal experience with SRT and MO was un-equaled, he saw the entire purchase through to the END. Then, when I had install questions, he went as far as to give me his mobile # and welcomed my questions with EXTREME patience until we figured out I had the wrong ecu. Now I really wish I had the TC!

Oh yeah, I just installed a tranny cooler yesterday....This mod was THE easiest thing Ive done.....

Last edited by tinygs; 11-05-01 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-05-01, 02:33 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

[stroking / smoothing my fu man chu]

very in-ta-resting tiny

I have to go to HomeDepot after dinner to get some tools for my UGO install tonight, so I'll probably get the materials I need and do a test application on the intake as well...

I still have to say that I am surprised that the metal to metal places do not have seals of somekind.

Again, oh well, I enjoy the tweaking....makes it my own.
Old 11-05-01, 05:03 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks for the description of SRT

Nicely done Dexter – I enjoyed the description of the SRT attention to detail and some insight into Mo and Marken’ s respective personalities.

I just installed my SRT HFI this past weekend and it DOES make a difference – I don’t care whether some of our brethren think that the power increase is minimal (10hp, etc.). Ten horsepower/lbs. torque doesn’t feel like that - It is clearly and distinctly noticeable – and I don’t mean just the sound either. I’d love to go up against a clone of my car before the HFI, he’d be creamed easily every time.

I had only brief conversations with Mo when I ordered, but he seemed to be interested in my satisfaction. Nice fit and finish – had a small (1/8 in.) gap all the way around the intake and heat shield opening – seems about right to me – agree with Tiny, I wouldn’t want zero clearance. The install was not difficult and I’d had finished sooner but took the time to clean the engine while it was naked. All in all, a very worthwhile investment in “FASTER”. I took a bunch of pictures of the install and would post if anyone has any interest.

Dexter, unfortunately, your post adds another straw to the back of the TC camel – I hadn’t anticipated adding a TC – but now, I wonder???? I’ve seen pricing on the TC but what are we looking at for install? Anyone in the Dallas area know?

Tiny, great narrative of your cooler install – more of us need to spend a little time (like you did) describing the install/fix of parts for the other brothers and sisters – would make the forum even more valuable. BTW, did you get to the last meet late? I see that you were there but I didn’t see you – I left early (as usual) – would have taken some pics of your GS too!
Old 11-05-01, 05:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Dexter - You dog you! Sounds like a great experience. I see my bank account balance going down...
Old 11-05-01, 05:12 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

I got on an install kick after doing my front UGO bar tonight. The rear will wait until tomorrow - those bolts are a *****...had to douse them with WD40...

As we speak, I am attempting tp improve the fits on the intake - I'll post pics tomorrow if it works...

Tune in tomorrow, same bat channel, same bat time....
Old 11-05-01, 08:32 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Question How much for the TC and Install

Dexter,
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the TC and to have Mo install it? If you don't want to post it on here, PM me the info, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, enjoy your ride and take it easy on the tires Great post
Old 11-06-01, 04:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: How much for the TC and Install

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the TC and to have Mo install it?
No problem - I think the price I got was what is currently posted on their website - $875

Labor - ~$400 - Mo was really cool about this because he put much more than that hours into it with all the bolt 'challenges' I had

This is kinda common sense I know, but again, I cannot stress enough, if you have another shop do your install, do your research to the best of your abilities and make sure the shop knows their stuff. This was a very labor intensive process that involved a lot of know-how and experience. Heck, maybe the deler could do it, I dunno - best to ask the shop foreman; probably not teh service tech. Again, I don't know.

I would hate to think if I had just had Mo ship me the parts and had taken it to just any tranny shop, dropped it off, and said,'here ya go, see ya in a few hours....' Meanwhile, they encounter some problems and decide to just do whatever they see fit without asking the customer....I got squeamish just watching Mo work on my car, can't imagine someone else - but then again, I'm a baby when others are working on my car....

HTH

Last edited by ///MDex; 11-06-01 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-06-01, 07:35 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up T/C Install

Garnet - Figure on 3-5 hours of labor for the install. Not really difficult but, as Dex said, time consuming because U need to remove all the undercarriage parts. Strictly bolt-on stuff but still time extensive. Wouldn't try it in your garage unless U have a tranny jack/hoist - makes it SO much easier. Since U're in Big D, hook up with Marcus ( TXSTYLE ) about his friends at the dealership that just hosted the last meet in DFW. Sounds like those guys would be willing & able to handle the job - some dealerships don't want to do aftermarket work. Heck, some don't want to do the L-Tuned mods & those R Lexus parts!! :eek:
Old 11-06-01, 08:08 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

yeah it was definitely fun. you forgot to mention the second drive that we all took in the "OTHER GS". first MO demonstrated the acceleration, then how to drift a little, then the big difference Brembo brakes make. OMFG. those brakes are insane. dead stop from 20mph in like 3-5 ft. something ridiculous like that.

I had a great time there. met some new friends and a few more car nuts that are local

you guys should of seen his undercarriage. NOT A SPOT OF OIL, DIRT OR ANY OTHER KIND OF DEBRIS. I WANTED TO YACK. it was so clean i couldn't beleive he had actually driven the car.

Arthur

Last edited by wolfy187; 11-06-01 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-06-01, 08:37 AM
-Lexus-GS400-
Rookie

Great report,, You can right a book...

I have a dragon tc and lsd and man it is the greatest...

Quick Reply: My Trip To SRT - LONG