GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

who has a cell phone holder in the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 09:11 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default who has a cell phone holder in the GS?

hey people.

I have a cell phone holder attached to my center-right A/C vent. It's a nice place but it's blocking out the A/C air. Anyone got a cell phone holder in the GS that's in a nice position? Got any pics?

Anyone have the Pro-Fit mount?
Old 11-05-01, 09:41 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cup holder works great. If they are in use the ash tray works good as an alternative.
Old 11-05-01, 09:43 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, just use the cup holder
Old 11-06-01, 05:55 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I had a Pro-Fit mount installed to the right of the ventilation system controls and fitted a mount for my Nokia to the Pro-Fit. Then added a hands-free kit that plugs into the cigarette lighter with a cable that connects to the phone on the Pro-Fit. Works great.

The mount was about $35 and I paid another $35 to have it installed. The mount for the Nokia was about $15 and the hands-free kit was about $50 from Cingular.

Another hands-free option is called Navigator by CCM (about $40-50). It plugs into the cigaretter lighter and has a built-in phone mount. I didn't like it because if I forgot to turn off the phone when I turned off the car it drained the phone's battery overnight.

Last edited by RealMarty; 11-06-01 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-06-01, 06:06 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pro-Fit

I have the profit mount also, with a Motorola Timeport (same shape as the Startac). Works great, only problem is they hooked up to the built in antenna in the GS and my reception gets killed. I'm in the process of talking to Motorola, and Verizon techs, as to how to fix this without adding an external glass mount antenna (that is one solution though). The others may be to 1 disable the antenna pinout on the cable that connects the phone to the mount, or 2) to just disconnect the phone kit from the external antenna. Apparently the phone's software "knows" when its hooked up to an external antenna, and it assumes it will be stronger than the phone's built in (bad assumption). I can get pictures, but probably not for a week or so.
Old 11-06-01, 08:42 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

Johnny Mo:

I have the Nokia car kit in my GS. It is hooked up to the external antenna. I also have Verizon Cell phone service. It all works great together.

I suggest that you get someone to troubleshoot your install.
Old 11-06-01, 08:53 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Depends on the phone

If your phone is analog it'll work great (the gs antenna is analog), mine is Tri-Mode and requires a tri-mode antenna. Also, the Nokia phone may utilize better logic in it's selection of antenna. If you are curious as I was, try this next time you plug your phone into the hands free jack, look at your signal strength meter on the phone, and then plug it in - any drop or increase? Then you'll know that it is either using the phone's antenna, or the car's antenna. BTW when you say that it is using the "external" GS antenna, you are referring to the one built into the glass that looks like the rear window defroster right? I'm trying to avoid the little black antenna mounted on the outside of the glass.
Old 11-06-01, 08:55 AM
TheWorm
Driver School Candidate

I've had the Pro-Fit mount for a couple of years, and use the Startac/Timeport permanent install (glass mount antenna). LOVE IT!

We have a Panavise (similar to Pro-Fit) in our other car with a "temp" install kit that works equally well from an installation perspective, although the full-duplex and sound quality are better on the permanent install (obviously).

Old 11-06-01, 10:06 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

Johnny Mo:

I'm using a Nokia 5185. This is a digital/analog phone.

(Previously, I've used a 6160, 5160, and 5165 (all digital/analog) with the cradle as well.) The cradle is a Nokia product that mutes the radio, charges the phone, etc.

The external antenna (yes in the glass) provides two more signal bars than the antenna on the phone when the antenna is retracted on the phone. This is true here in New Jersey with both AT&T Wireless and Verizon service. There is little difference with the antenna extended.

The whole kit cost me $300 with installation.

Princeton
Old 11-06-01, 10:41 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Well now I'm just po'd

Princeton,
after hearing about your phone I'm a little P.O.'d at Motorola for not being able to make this work. I'm gonna do some more investigating and see what I can do.
Old 11-06-01, 02:59 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for all the help guys!

Well I've taken the whole audio/NAV unit out myself before, and according to the instructions on their site that's all I'll need to install it, so I think I can do the installation myself.

Another question to those of you who uses Pro-Fit:

I've noticed the metal piece faces towards the driver (which is great) but I'm planning on using a fairly thick phone holder. Will a thick holder on the pro-fit make it hard for me to reach the buttons near it?

What about the passenger? Is the pro-fit in a position where the passenger will find it annoying and constantly hitting it?

thanks for all the help! I'm really interested in one!
Old 11-06-01, 06:05 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would just like one you put in your A/C vent, globe if you buy the pro-kit please PM me regarding your vent one
Old 11-06-01, 06:23 PM
TheWorm
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
...Another question to those of you who uses Pro-Fit:

I've noticed the metal piece faces towards the driver (which is great) but I'm planning on using a fairly thick phone holder. Will a thick holder on the pro-fit make it hard for me to reach the buttons near it?
probably not; it's a slight angle; depends on how thick the mount is.

What about the passenger? Is the pro-fit in a position where the passenger will find it annoying and constantly hitting it?
never had a problem.
Old 11-06-01, 06:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
i would just like one you put in your A/C vent, globe if you buy the pro-kit please PM me regarding your vent one
Pro-Fit is a mount not a holder. If I get the Pro-Fit I'll be putting my vent holder onto the Pro-Fit mount.

If you want the one I have I can show you where to get it. What phone do you have? My holder is very small and will only fit a few phones.

btw thanks alot the Worm!
Old 11-06-01, 08:02 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a phone like urs the Nokia 3390.. one of the smallest... well not the smallest but its small heres a picture

i have a carbon fibre look case on mine too

Quick Reply: who has a cell phone holder in the GS?