GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to disable Auto Dimming of '01+ gauges at night?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 06:08 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thats the only thing I am going in for is to have the setting changed and not for any other maininence, thus why I am not upset with a $50 charge to get every setting the way I want it.

As for other settings. I am going to have them set it so when I shift into park all the doors unlock automatically. I am also gonig to have them set it where when I press the unlock button on the remote, ALL the doors unlock, not just the drivers door.
Old 01-17-07, 06:28 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by golfkid777
Well thats the only thing I am going in for is to have the setting changed and not for any other maininence, thus why I am not upset with a $50 charge to get every setting the way I want it.

As for other settings. I am going to have them set it so when I shift into park all the doors unlock automatically. I am also gonig to have them set it where when I press the unlock button on the remote, ALL the doors unlock, not just the drivers door.
A couple of suggestions (not that you asked ). First, you do know that you can get all the doors to unlock from the remote, right? Press the unlock button once and the driver's door unlocks, press the unlock button twice and all doors unlock, and press and hold the unlock button a third time and all the windows will roll down and the moonroof will open. Second, this is just me, but I would highly recommend against having the doors unlock when you put the car in park for two reasons. First, as you may have heard, one common problem with the GS is that the electric door lock actuators go bad very frequently. By having your car set to unlock all the doors when you put the car in park, you will be putting extra and unnecessary wear and tear on those actuators and they will fail prematurely. Second, I think there's a safety issue. If you have kids in the car, you definitely don't want all of the doors unlocking when you put the car in park. Also, even if you don't have kids in the car, there might be a situation where there are questionable people standing around or near your car when you put it in park and the last thing you would want would be all the doors to unlock. Anyway, just some food for thought.

As for the $50, how about waiting to do the settings until your first oil change? I bet if you ask they'll go ahead and do it for free.

Hope the info helps.

e

P.S.: By the way, I am pretty sure that disabling the DRLs is not an option on these settings.
Old 01-17-07, 10:04 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
This is just my opinion, but I think $50 is absolutely ridiculous. My dealership did it for free in a matter of 5 minutes. The tech came outside with the handheld computer, plugged it in under the dash, and we went through each setting (for 98-00), there are no more than 10 or so settings. To tell you that it's going to take a couple of hours is really misleading. I'm not saying that they're not entitled to charge you, but assuming you will be going there for oil changes and other maintenance, this should be a perk to you. It's not like you're going to be in there every week changing the settings. You do it once, and then you're done. Just my .02.
There are more options for the +01.
Old 01-17-07, 10:30 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Thankyou for the insight. I am not too worried about having my car in a questionable situation, and have thought about the door actuators going bad early, but at the same time, its something thats not a super expensive fix. As for kids, I am 21 and really not wanting any little responsibilities of that magnatude for a few years.
Old 01-18-07, 12:26 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it only takes like 5 min... depending on the service advisor he could be a **** and charge you... my dad works for lexus and it doesn't take more than 5 min to change any setting really...
Old 01-18-07, 05:54 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jwin
it only takes like 5 min... depending on the service advisor he could be a **** and charge you... my dad works for lexus and it doesn't take more than 5 min to change any setting really...
Can you ask your dad to tell you how you change the setting. Maybe we can have a little DIY experiment, and save many people on here $50.

thanks
Old 01-18-07, 08:39 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Well I took it there today, they could not figure out how to make the autodimming feature go away, so they did not charge me and still changed the other settings I wanted along with a nice bath after the last few snow storms in Seattle. If ANYONE knows a way to do this, pelase tell me and I will get it done. I really just want some bright gauges again.
Old 01-19-07, 04:21 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Well I took it there today, they could not figure out how to make the autodimming feature go away, so they did not charge me and still changed the other settings I wanted along with a nice bath after the last few snow storms in Seattle. If ANYONE knows a way to do this, pelase tell me and I will get it done. I really just want some bright gauges again.
As I suspected, a DIY is needed. Im guessing we have to disconnect a wire or two form the instrumental cluster.
Old 01-19-07, 05:02 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I was REALLY looking forward to that. I'm off today, so I'll call Lexus of Wilmington to see if this can be disabled.
Old 01-19-07, 10:39 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Sorry guys, I called my Lexus dealer and also Lexus of Cherry Hill (South Jersey) and both said the auto-dimming feature cannot be disabled. We tried.
Old 01-19-07, 11:44 AM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I was wondering if disconnecting the two sensors would make any difference. Any thoughts or imput would be great, I think this would be a great sticky to have at the top of the forum if we can figure it out.
Old 01-27-07, 04:43 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

So the only way to make it bright all the time is to basically have the wire cut off.?
Old 01-27-07, 04:46 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Yeah, I was wondering if disconnecting the two sensors would make any difference. Any thoughts or imput would be great, I think this would be a great sticky to have at the top of the forum if we can figure it out.
Thats not an option to those who want to use their AUTO lamp feature, as well as those with Navi screens. Dont want to be blinded at night with the DAY MODE.

HOWEVER, I think we should find the light sensor wire that goes into the back of the CLUSTER... that way only the cluster loses knowledge about the light sensor input, and not other systems.

Question is, which one is it... anyone has a wire diagram they could share?
Old 01-27-07, 05:01 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Thats not an option to those who want to use their AUTO lamp feature, as well as those with Navi screens. Dont want to be blinded at night with the DAY MODE.

HOWEVER, I think we should find the light sensor wire that goes into the back of the CLUSTER... that way only the cluster loses knowledge about the light sensor input, and not other systems.

Question is, which one is it... anyone has a wire diagram they could share?
That would be perfect, anyone could do a DIY on that, rather than paying $50 at a dealership.

if anyone has one please post as a pic.
thanks
Old 01-27-07, 05:59 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The big problem is that the light sensor is connected to the cars multiplex system. The rheostat (manual control) is NOT

If you look at this diagram:

The manual setting is completely different from the auto setting

The AUTO stetting is combined with the cars multiplex system here:

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE WITHOUT A HARD WIRE MODIFICATION

Quick Reply: How to disable Auto Dimming of '01+ gauges at night?