GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to disable Auto Dimming of '01+ gauges at night?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 11:30 AM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable Auto Dimming of '01+ gauges at night?

I just picked up an 02 GS 300 and the only complaint I have so far is that the Electro Luminescent gauges dim whenever it gets dark outside. I understand the purpose but I am used to the very bright gauges in my Audi and want these to stay as bright as they are during the day time ALL the time. It happens if I drive into a tunnel or a garage and when it starts to get dark. If there is an easy fix for this please let me know.

I may be a newb here but I know unwritten rules of the forums and have spent a good hour searching for an answer and couldn't find it.

Old 01-15-07, 12:13 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

easiest fix is to have 2 little lights shine on those 2 black plastic domes on top of ur dash near the windshield
but thats the ghetto way of doing it i suppose

as for the proper way of changing it... i dunno
lol
Old 01-15-07, 01:04 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golfkid777
I just picked up an 02 GS 300 and the only complaint I have so far is that the Electro Luminescent gauges dim whenever it gets dark outside. I understand the purpose but I am used to the very bright gauges in my Audi and want these to stay as bright as they are during the day time ALL the time. It happens if I drive into a tunnel or a garage and when it starts to get dark. If there is an easy fix for this please let me know.

I may be a newb here but I know unwritten rules of the forums and have spent a good hour searching for an answer and couldn't find it.

Lexus Dealer can do it for you
Old 01-15-07, 01:22 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
I'M ON MY WAY!!!

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 01-15-07, 04:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i thought if you turn it all the way to the brightest then it won't dim off during night time

at least that's the case for our sc430
Old 01-15-07, 04:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Even at the brightest setting, it still dims. I drove under a tunnel and the lights dimmed right away, even though my setting was at max. I kind of prefer to control it myself rather than having the auto-setting.
Old 01-15-07, 05:28 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know about how much the dealers charge for doing this, I would prefer this as well, it is so much brighter.
Unless if someone knows and can tell us how to...
Old 01-15-07, 05:46 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't like that auto-dimming feature only because the gauges gets very dim at night. If there is a way of disabling it whether DIY or the dealer, that's something that I would like done.
Old 01-15-07, 05:50 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
easiest fix is to have 2 little lights shine on those 2 black plastic domes on top of ur dash near the windshield
but thats the ghetto way of doing it i suppose

as for the proper way of changing it... i dunno
lol
I was waiting for a friend in my car and I opened my cell phone and placed on one of those plastic domes to see if the gauge turned brighter. No luck; it didn't brighten. Just a quick little experiment I did cuz I had nothing to do while waiting.
Old 01-15-07, 05:59 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I was waiting for a friend in my car and I opened my cell phone and placed on one of those plastic domes to see if the gauge turned brighter. No luck; it didn't brighten. Just a quick little experiment I did cuz I had nothing to do while waiting.
Those sensors are solar activated, you actually need a light source that throws off some heat. Sometimes a drop light will not do it, and I'm talking about the old style with an incadescent bulb.
Old 01-15-07, 07:43 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i thought if you turn it all the way to the brightest then it won't dim off during night time

at least that's the case for our sc430
Henry -- does your SC have a click at the top end of the dimmer? My wife's 99 ES had this. When you turned it up to the point where it clicked, the gauges became super bright and did not dim in tunnels. The GS does not have a click at the top end of the dimmer.
Old 01-15-07, 08:52 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm having the same issue... dims too much at night. Problem is, if you mess with those sensors, your navi wont switch to night mode. And if you utlitize the AUTO lighting function, your lights would never come on.

But It might be a C-best option. I would like to be able to adjust it, as if it was daytime. Guess I'll have'em do it along with ALL DOORS unlock at the first click of the remote, as well as doors unlocking when shifter goes into park, so the rear passengers dont feel like im trapping them when they try to exit. (doors auto-lock when shifting from Park.)

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 01-15-07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 10:19 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

I think I am gonig to have to ask about all those options when I stop at the dealer to get this done as its done snowing here.
Old 01-15-07, 10:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ive been looking into the c-best settings list

there are 3 main settings for lighting brightness
Code:
Category            Item Select             Default     Description                                                                                 Options
=========================================================================================================================================================================

Light Control       SENSITIVITY             NORMAL      Adjusts the sensitivity of the automatic headlight illumination system                      DARK2/DARK1/NORMAL/LIGHT1/LIGHT2
Light Control       DISP EX ON SEN          NORMAL      Adjusts the brightness of indicator lights (Shift Taillight Headlight Cruise
                                                        and Power Mode indicators) when headlights are ON                                           DARK2/DARK1/NORMAL/LIGHT1/LIGHT2
Light Control       DISP EX OFF SEN         NORMAL      Adjusts the brightness of indicator lights (Shift Taillight Headlight Cruise
                                                        and Power Mode indicators) when headlights are OFF                                          DARK2/DARK1/NORMAL/LIGHT1/LIGHT2
2nd one and 3rd one seems to be the ones more related
but not sure if "indicator" lights are the same as gauge brightness
Old 01-16-07, 07:15 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
are you sure about that?

Quick Reply: How to disable Auto Dimming of '01+ gauges at night?