GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: G35 OR GS400 ??
G35
15.79%
GS400
84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus GS400 or Infiniti G35 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 05:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another thing to consider is maintainence. The VQV6 (G35) uses a timing chain rather than a rubber timing belt 1UzFE(Gs400). Less cost to you...Infiniti.
Old 01-17-07, 06:01 PM
Lexusalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im definetly going to mod the car,,but i dont think there is any more mods for the G35 then there is for GS400. Same stuff,,Exhaust ,intake , SAfc and plenum spacer,,,thats about all there is for the G35.

And i do love the body kit that i got.... looks way different compared to stock g35

Old 01-17-07, 06:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would only get the G35 if it had a manual trans. I'm sure it handles much better too.
Old 01-17-07, 07:17 PM
rdefabri
Driver School Candidate

Total noob here guys, but been a lurker for some time. I know Nissans well, I've owned a 5th gen Maxima and I also have a '72 240z.

The G35 is cool, but has some serious quality issues - go search some G35 forums, you'll see - I was in the market for a sport sedan, I ruled out the G35 pretty quickly. Awesome car, but crude and poor quality.

I actually just purchased a 2000 GS400 Platinum Edition, although I really had my heart set on a Subaru Legacy GT. The Legacy had a 5-speed (which I love) and was *****-quick! Plus, I am in NJ, so when the weather gets bad, the Legacy would be great, but the quality issues spooked me and I couldn't get the dealer low enough.

I always liked the GS400, but for some reason, I am still pining for the Subie (although my wife loves the GS). In any event, I am now a GS400 owner, and pretty proud of that!

I'd go with the GS400, quality in a used car goes a long way, you really can't beat them.
Old 01-17-07, 08:21 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I'd take a manual G35 coupe over the GS400, I'd probably take a GS over the 4 door G35 though.
Old 01-17-07, 08:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

G35 has a better driving dynamic overall IMO
im not sure about the premodded one though
if u like the look of that guy's G35 then why not, go for it
i would...
better mileage, do mother Earth a favour
Old 01-17-07, 08:47 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I cross shopped an '05 G35 Sport Sedan with manual this summer before I bought my GS430. I was absolutely infatuated with it's performance on paper (298hp w/6spd manual) and looks in person ("new" '05 interior in black leather w/aluminum-like accents, sport wheels with manual transmission, etc). After driving it, my bubble was burst. Lots of motor noise at all throttle positions that I realized would annoy me over time, but I do wish my GS4 would make some menacing noise when I go WOT. The G35 was nice enough, but I think the GS blew it away in terms of a ride, lack of cabin noise and the quality of the interior bits. Granted I bought an older car ('02 CPO versus an '05, but it was less expensive) and that pains me a bit from time to time, but I haven't really second guessed my choice. I'm happy with the GS over the G35 Sport Sedan with manual. [I was looking forward to the brand new '07 G35 interior, but found that it is horribly cheap and down-market when I saw it at the auto show this weekend; if I were buying a G35, make mine an '05]

Subie's Legacy GT w/manual tranny is a bargain for what it delivers. Fast, like you said. Features leather, roof and power equipment. Certainly not a luxury car, but it's not priced like one either. Cost of ownership should be less than the G35, too. I think you'll see the Legacy GT at $18K for an '05 w/low miles that's still under the factory warranty! I'm a believer and think that it would edge out the '03-'04 G35 Sport largely based on it being AWD versus RWD if I were in the car market today in that price range. An '05 G35X with its slightly revised interior and AWD might yield a different decision, but that car has to be another $7K?

All in all, I love my GS430. Love the torque. Love the lack of noise in the cabin. Love the timeless center stack and dash design. Love the soft touch dash. Love the ML audio. Love the BIG backseat for passengers, but the tiny trunk and high lift over is poor. Love the standard HIDs and fogs. And my mpg is probably the same as what I would've gotten in the G35?!
Old 01-17-07, 08:56 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS400
Old 01-17-07, 10:02 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Those G35's have some serious quality issues. If you're used to Lexus quality, then the Infinity will tick you off more and more the longer you own it. My friend bought a brand new 05' G35Coupe 6MT two years ago and that thing is pretty much falling apart by now. Yeah he drives it hard, but I drive my car almost as rough and so far mine has zero issues. As for his car, rattles all over the place, a couple of electrical issues, the infamous tire wear issues, bumpers are rattling and squeaking, etc. What most other people would say is that the drivetrain is pretty solid. Nope, first motor shot a rod and the tranny gears have given out a few times. Engine replaced: 1, Tranny replaced: 3. Ok, well maybe he drives a little rougher than me, but not by too much . Good thing is that it was all covered under the warranty Problem is that they still can't fix the rattling and squeaks.
Old 01-17-07, 10:32 PM
McDj18
Pole Position

Go with the GS400. You won't regret it one bit!
Old 01-17-07, 10:42 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Your best investment......GS4.
Old 01-18-07, 06:29 PM
kazam
Driver

Check out my archive threads. I have owned both the GS400 and 2004 G35 Coupe at the same time. The G35 was literally garbage compared to the GS4.

Once again, check out my archived threads.
Old 01-18-07, 06:34 PM
kazam
Driver

Ahhh. I found my original thread. See below...
I've been a silent member/browser around 2yrs now. So this is my first post that has any meaning. Anyway, thought this might interest you guys. Check out G35Driver.com(coupes section). I just could not get rid of my GS. I felt like was making a huge mistake by selling the GS. Anyway, since the Infiniti G35C is gone, I have a new found extreme appreciation for my GS400. See below for my orig thread starter, then check out the replies @ G35Driver. I sure got alot of responses!

Enjoy!

Sold My 04 Coupe After 2mos. Was Not Impressed!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I begin, by no means am I bashing the G35 Coupe. This is just my opinion! Now, back when I was researching the coupe, I originally thought the coupe was one of the best looking coupes on the road. This was until I purchased my G35 in Dec. My original intentions were to sell my Lexus GS400. Well that didn't happen. I have compiled a short list of adverse remarks with regards to the coupe.

1. Seating position.
a. It felt like my back was laying against wood. Very uncomfortable.
b. Very narrow shoulder and hip room. (maybe because I'm 6' 3"?).

2. Cheap interior feel.
a. I couldn't stand looking at the interior in the daylight. Strangely enough, I was much relieved with the night time look(instrument panel, navigation, etc..). This kept me from looking at the cheap/fake and easily scratchable aluminum panels. Oh yea, I could've sworn each day I would find a new scratch/scuff mark inside the interior(especially inside of the door by the speaker).

3. Odd body look from different angles.
a. Hard to explain, but whenever I would see a G on the road, I would say to myself thats what I'm driving? The coupe just seemed a little weird from different angles.

And lastly, even though I'm only 26yrs old, I felt like the coupe is more suited for a someone a little younger(IMO). This is maybe because of the cheap interior feel(which has a big impression). Anyway, I think the culprit was the fast transition from the Lexus GS400 to the coupe. And yes, I do understand the coupe and the GS are in different classes. I just set my expectations way to high(smoothness, ride, overall integrity). Oh and by the way, my coupe was loaded.(6K,navi,18" rims, etc..)

To sum it all up, I recently sold my coupe at a heavy loss and kept my Lexus, which is more of a everyday type of car.

Thanks all, I had a great time on the board.

99 Lexus GS400, silver, V8 300HP " A very fast boat"(Now keeping).
Old 01-18-07, 06:37 PM
wallcloud
Driver School Candidate

Drove the G35x, BMW 3 series AWD, BMW 5series, and the GS400. I was actually looking for a new car and test drove the new models. I bot a 98 w 70k miles and it still makes me smile. I am the origional owner of a 93 rag top 300Z, but have always felt that Nissan is about as good as GM in terms of quality. I saved a bunch of coin buying the GS400 and dont regret it.
Wallcloud
Old 01-18-07, 06:45 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about styling and looks amongst other things and the exterior of the G35 sedan is somewhat "okay". I prefer the look of the coupe.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS400 or Infiniti G35 ?