GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Info on a nice GS drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 01:00 PM
jfive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sockfocks
correction: the nf210 drops are 1.5 front and 1.0 rear, rides real good and no rubbing issues that i know of.
rear is sitting a little low, had some heavy equipment in the trunk...
That's a nice drop on your GS! Notice any cambering?
Old 01-19-07, 01:33 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jfive
That's a nice drop on your GS! Notice any cambering?
hmm...well there is cambering, but not any tire wear issues, i had my 19's on this past summer and they wore pretty even across the tread. Usually excessive inside tire wear is caused by too much toe out. If you ever noticed there are vehicles that are stock with noticeable negative camber on the rear wheels and I would think that the manufacturers would not engineer their vehicles to produce excess tire wear because of consumer complaints...well theres my two cent.
Old 01-19-07, 01:37 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

I believe the most conservative drop is Eibach prokit (1" drop compared to 1.25" drop of L-tuned). After maxing out the camber adjustment during alignment, my car now has close to zero negative camber. Please note that our car actually came with negative camber (for better handling), therefore having zero camber is just not possible once you lowerred it. Right now, the camber reading of my car is very close to zero, which is out of spec, to give me the max longevity of the tires. I think going with 1" - 1.25" drop will allow you to keep the camber reading with in spec.
Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-07, 08:38 AM
jfive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
I believe the most conservative drop is Eibach prokit (1" drop compared to 1.25" drop of L-tuned). After maxing out the camber adjustment during alignment, my car now has close to zero negative camber. Please note that our car actually came with negative camber (for better handling), therefore having zero camber is just not possible once you lowerred it. Right now, the camber reading of my car is very close to zero, which is out of spec, to give me the max longevity of the tires. I think going with 1" - 1.25" drop will allow you to keep the camber reading with in spec.
Hope that helps.
Thanx!! That actually helps a me a lot!
Old 02-05-07, 02:39 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Hey fellow members, I have STOCK suspension and 20" rims but my front tires are worn severely on the inboard portion and pretty much new 3/4-outboard portion. Is it something that can be corrected with an alignment or am I S-O-O-L?
Old 02-05-07, 02:50 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Hope that helps.
I thought there wasn't any camber adjustment on the GS
Please enlighten me, I don't want to put new tires until I educate myself on this
Old 02-05-07, 03:58 PM
roy.jovero
Driver School Candidate

I've heard good things about the Espelir ASD's. They drop a good amount and still keep a stock-ish ride quality.

Now does anyone know if these springs will give more camber wear than, say, the Tanabe DF120 or NF210's?
Old 02-05-07, 04:40 PM
russian
Driver

Hope that helps.
ok, so the eibach has less of a drop, but is it as SOFT as the l-tuned? I dont think so
Old 02-05-07, 04:49 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by russian
ok, so the eibach has less of a drop, but is it as SOFT as the l-tuned? I dont think so
you guys are confusing me now... I thought the L-Tuned and the eibach spring were 1 in the same... at least that's what a few other posted in another thread???
Old 02-05-07, 05:01 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

that's what I thought also /
Old 02-05-07, 05:08 PM
FrankWhite
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roy.jovero
I've heard good things about the Espelir ASD's. They drop a good amount and still keep a stock-ish ride quality.

Now does anyone know if these springs will give more camber wear than, say, the Tanabe DF120 or NF210's?

took my tires off after 6 months with the Espelirs and no inside tire wear with 18's. This pic has the winters on... back is sittin low, with 2 - 75 lb sandbags for winter.
Attached Thumbnails Info on a nice GS drop-cimg2885.jpg  
Old 02-05-07, 09:27 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

L-tuned I thought were 1.25" drop

Old 02-06-07, 08:06 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

hey how about someone fill in the blanks

You should get __(insert springs here)__ for a __(insert inches here)__ drop. This will ___(insert what he'd like to happen)__ and make sure that ___(insert what he doesn't want to happen)___ won't be a problem.

Oh and one more thing, ____(insert any additional info)____.

Old 02-06-07, 09:46 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

I don't think Eibach and L-tuned are the same spring. There's a thread somewhere that talks about this. A member actually did a study in size and weight between the 2 spring to draw this conclusion. That's not to say that the L-tuned spring is not made by Eibach. It could very well be (per Lexus spec). As it stands, I believe those are different spring (not by much but not the same). The Eibach spring should give a 1" drop vs. 1.25" of the L-tuned. I also think that the Eibach spring is a little stiffer (not by much).
On camber issue, as I previously stated, our car came with negative camber. However, you can adjust the camber a little while doing alignment. There's no camber kit available, you're pretty stuck with a little adjustment that built in to the car. But you can adjust it. Knowing that going in, I asked my mechanic to max out my camber before finishing alignment. Right now I have close to 0 degree front and back. The spec requires some thing like -.1 to -.3 for the rear (I don't remember the front). Which means, I'm out of spec. However, this should give me the max tire life.
I decided to change springs and dampers at the same time to save me the hassle of redoing it in the future. As far as damper goes, Bilstein sport was my first choice. After talking to the Bilstein rep on the phone, I learned that they do a lot of testing with Eibach spring. Therefore, I thought that Eibach and Bilstein would make a nice combo.
In the end, I'm very happy with my current set up. Running on stock 17", I think this set up the an improvement over stock ride quality and handling.
Old 02-06-07, 01:10 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

A picture is worth about 286 words.

plus I have ADD and would like to see your set-up

Quick Reply: Info on a nice GS drop