GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need to change fluidson 01 GS430, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 12:16 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need to change fluidson 01 GS430, any thoughts?

After reading threads on this forum about maintenance, decided to perform some on my 2001 GS430 with over 100k miles. Need some pointers and advice. Here are the services performed:

-85k miles: Timing belt, water pump, spark plugs (lexus oem), driving belt
-change mobile 1 5w30 synthetic oil every 7-8k miles

-power steering fluid changed when rack was replaced

-ATF fluid was changed sometime before I bought my car, me and my mech checked it last night and it is cranbury red, so it is not bad but I will drop the pan today, replace washer and gasket and refill 2 quarts of Toyota ATF, and will do drain and fill every oil change, 8k miles.

-never checked my brake fluid, coolant or differential! I do not know if previous owner ever changed it, they might have been, if the ATF has been changed. I know all fluids would be ok to drain and fill, but I do not know about differential, since I do not know when it was changed and I do not want my tranny to bust after the change, unless that is not correct. I read all these fluids: ATF, differential, brake, coolant , and power steering fluids have to be changed every 30k miles or so! on my 2000 e46 BMW you did not have to change ATF ever, since the tranny is sealed, but my differential fluid was changed at 100k miles per BMW friend mech suggestion, and then in few months my tranny failed! I do not know if it was just a coinsidence. So what are your thought on differential fluid change now at 103k miles, if lets say it was never changed, would it damage anything, since there moving parts in it (gears), has anybody ever done this, and how critical is it to do it, or never do it at all?
Old 01-25-07, 12:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

differential fluid change is recommended at every 90k miles.

In our car, and most front engine rwd platform, the differential has no physical relationship with the transmission itself, other than the driveshaft that connects the two. Your previous tranmission going out is just a coincidence.

Differential fluid is very easy to change. You'll need a fluid pumper to pump some differential fluid back into the case. But beware. This stuff STINKS. I got some on my hand and it took quite a while before it the smell went away. It made me wanna throw up

#4 under Engine and Transmission:
http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/
Old 01-25-07, 01:32 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

ok cool.. I will do that.. I just called Toyota and will pick up diff fluid, ATF fluid, coolant and brake fluid from them tomorrow, and they ordered me the gasket crush washer for tranny bolt and will also get the sealent for the tranny pan that is leaking a bit..

My question is, do I really need to flush break and coolant system or just drain and fill like ATF, my car has 103k miles. I read on maint forum and people have split opinions about it.. Looks like Toyota would flush anything, they told me that they would flush my tranny, coolant and break system, they did not say anything about power steering or differential, I guess you do not flush those.. Let me know guys!
Old 01-25-07, 01:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It never hurts to bleed the brakes and coolant system. In fact, flushing the brakes and coolant system are probably the two most overlooked things on the car. You can't really just drain the brake fluids. Bleeding the brakes is probably the best thing to do. I just did it on my car and the brakes are less mushy. It'll get rid of any existing air in your brake system.

I never touched my coolatn system because I think the previous owner flushed it at the dealer. But I bled the air out of my system so it should be okay.
Old 01-25-07, 01:55 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This will be the last diff fluid you will ever fill your car with. It lasts up to 500,000 miles

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx
Old 01-25-07, 02:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

likewise, amsoil is the sh|t
Old 01-25-07, 02:08 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

how about Amsoil Universal ATF instead of Toyota stuff?? I read all these great things about it.. Can I also use it for power steering?? How about break fluid and coolant, which one to use?
Old 01-25-07, 02:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I drain and refill with amsoil ATF just last week. They can be mixed with toyota ATF since amsoil is now one of the two non-toyota fluid that are toyota-approved. The amsoil atf definitely holds up to better heat than regular toyota type t-iv.

The power steering uses Dexron II/III i believe. Amsoil ATF is also certified for Dexron II/III so I see no problem using amsoil ATF for the power steering. Infact, I topped off my power steering resevoir with it.

I used ATE super blue for my brake fluid. It's overkill on my car though. $13/liter. It took me only 1 quart to bleed though. If you're willing to fork out $13/L, i say go for it. It has a higher boil point than the regular toyota fluid, which works fine if you're not racing.
Old 01-25-07, 07:17 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

I use AMSOIL in my car everywhere I can put it. I have:

1. Universal ATF in the transmission and the power steering. I added a HAYDEN transmission fluid cooler up front as well. I changed the original Dexron fluid before I had power steering pump or steering rack failure. Many Lexus owners overlook this vital step, and wind up changing a very expensive power steering rack and/or pump.

2. Synthetic gear oil in the differential. I have 75,000 miles on it so far, and it looks just like the day I put it in. NO PROBLEMS.

3. Synthetic ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT and DISTILLED water. This stuff is $17.00 a gallon, but well worth it. It is a different color (clear to slightly opaque yellow color). I drained the heads and block by removing the two plugs in the block (one on each side just below the heads). This is very easy if you have the car jacked up over your head, and use a 10 mm socket on a long extension. The plugs point straight down, and are easy to remove and replace. ALL of the coolant will drain out from these 2 spots.

Then I refilled the system with distilled water and AMSOIL coolant. 44,000 miles later, the coolant is still as transparent in the radiator as it was when I put it in. It is good for about 250,000 miles in cars, and about 750,00 miles on trucks with changeable coolant filters.

I am sold on these products because I have used them since 1981.
Old 01-25-07, 09:03 PM
deejay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT opinions guys..

i know now what i will be putting in my newly aquired lexus..
Old 01-26-07, 05:03 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I had an Amsoill fluid change meet in the Neloc section. Take a look at this Neloc members diff with dino oil after thousands of miles. The gunk was sucked out and switched to Amsoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYpO_37i5gA

Here is the thread with pics from the meet

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=amsoil+meet

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 01-26-07 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 05:15 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This will be the last diff fluid you will ever fill your car with. It lasts up to 500,000 miles
that's great that hypothetically these fluids last so long, but someone please explain to me how synthetic fluids are any more resistant to metal shavings.

half the reason you change fluids are to remove tiny metal particles and debris. that is why I don't care if it's synthetic or not, I change oil every 3k and lately I've been draining and refill tranny about every other oil change. I only use toyota fluids and good ole castrol gtx 5w30 and try to keep up with or change before recommended intervals. my diff only has about 17k miles on it and I'm considering a drain/refill in that soon.
Old 01-26-07, 05:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckb
that's great that hypothetically these fluids last so long, but someone please explain to me how synthetic fluids are any more resistant to metal shavings.

half the reason you change fluids are to remove tiny metal particles and debris. that is why I don't care if it's synthetic or not, I change oil every 3k and lately I've been draining and refill tranny about every other oil change. I only use toyota fluids and good ole castrol gtx 5w30 and try to keep up with or change before recommended intervals. my diff only has about 17k miles on it and I'm considering a drain/refill in that soon.
I would think most of our cars are beyond the "broken in process" thus it is less prone to metal shavings at this point. Synthetics are also less prone to friction which is a contributor to metal shavings. It is up to you if you want to be over zealous and spend $$$ with fluid changes. I can tell you that my car has not encountered any tranny, engine, or diff problems for years. In addition, I have piece of mind with longer change intervals. Tranny fluid is still cherry red with over 25k on it and motor oil stays cleaner longer.
Old 01-26-07, 06:53 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I also agree with chuckb. Toyota put these fluids in. I am sure they did some longetivity testing. I understand that most of us are past the break-in period, but that does not mean that your parts are not wearing down. There are still shavings in the oil, they don't really stop. Plus I know quite a few people that use what Lexus recommends, and are over 300k miles without any problems.
Old 01-26-07, 07:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

i'm just going to change mine (differential) once every 5 years or so. 2 quarts isn't too expensive. My car only seend 3,500 miles a year. heh.

Quick Reply: Need to change fluidson 01 GS430, any thoughts?