GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need advice for front fender work...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 06:29 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need advice for front fender work...

Hi all,
I just recently picked up some wheels and they are 20x9 et35 in front and mounted on 245/35 tires and they rub a good deal. I am going to rent a heat gun from Kragen's tomorrow and then "remold" the front fender plastic lining. I've did a search and found out that the basic steps are to heat it, mold it, and then use a bag of ice to cool it into its permanent shape. Are there any other details or precautions to take or is it really that simple? What should I use to reshape it? I was thinking a glass jar or something so that the fender lining maintains its curvy shape. Anybody with past experience have advice for me? I'm hoping RominL will chime in also. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

-Theo
Old 01-27-07, 12:25 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm wider up front and pretty low. all I did to cease thr rubbing issues was roll the fenders.

but the again I'm 19's your 20's.

but if you are intrested in trying......I jack the car up one side at time....but only lift it enough to where my metal bat fits through the gap.....I then, firmly holding the bat, begin to apply pressure downward suppported by tire....and the fat side of the bat starts rolling the fender.
you want to roll the bat back and forth, creasing in the lip inwards.

go slow and use caution.

if not you can always take it and have the fenders cut.
Old 01-27-07, 12:29 AM
t0ekn3e
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lamracing.net/ is my friend he has a fender rolling thing, try emailing him

his fender rolling tool
Old 01-27-07, 12:48 AM
sleeper408

Right now, it doesn't really hit the fender but the plastic lining inside. One side has already cracked a bit. I want to "reshape" the plastic and push it up higher and closer to the fender for more room. If that doesn't work, maybe I will end up rolling the front fenders and see if that helps.

Thanks for the info. guys.
Old 01-27-07, 01:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

baseball bat is your friend, that's what i used. imho the most important thing is to make sure you remove the clips at 10 and 2 oclock position, and put the flaps behind the fender lip, and then push up the whole tabs. the tab is what you rubbing bad right now
Old 01-27-07, 01:58 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by rominl
baseball bat is your friend, that's what i used. imho the most important thing is to make sure you remove the clips at 10 and 2 oclock position, and put the flaps behind the fender lip, and then push up the whole tabs. the tab is what you rubbing bad right now
You may be right Henry. Yes it is rubbing on the 2 tabs that are rectangular. So a heat gun is not needed to eliminate the problem? I am going to raise the car maybe .25"-.50" also.

So complete it in this order:
1) remove clips
2) tuck flap into the fender lip
3) push up all the way
4) use the bat to roll the fender and pinch the tab in?

Do I reattach the clips are just leave them out?

Last edited by sleeper408; 01-27-07 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-27-07, 09:49 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

Very interesting.. my car was rubbing the plastic too, but i took the easy way out and just removed it all. if you decide to melt the plastic pictures would be awesome
Old 01-27-07, 12:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
You may be right Henry. Yes it is rubbing on the 2 tabs that are rectangular. So a heat gun is not needed to eliminate the problem? I am going to raise the car maybe .25"-.50" also.

So complete it in this order:
1) remove clips
2) tuck flap into the fender lip
3) push up all the way
4) use the bat to roll the fender and pinch the tab in?

Do I reattach the clips are just leave them out?
no, forget about those clips, you don't need them anymore

and actually i still went ahead and use the heat gun to heat and push up the plastic flap (close to the outside) coz' if you hit something deep enough you will rub there as well

careful, coz' that's a bit close to the outside paint when you heat
Old 01-27-07, 05:53 PM
sleeper408

Arghhhh.... It's too late!! My front fender is ruined and the brand new tire is all messed up! So I bought a heat gun today at Kragen's for $20, came home, worked on the plastic lining. I molded up as far I could. I had to run a quick errand so I didn't roll the fenders just yet. I drove maybe 2 miles and could hear my tire rub the plastic lining which was disappointing since I did all that work, then I hit a big dip. In my peripheral vision, I saw some black strip fly past my window. I thought I was seeing things at first. Then I hear something hitting my driver's fender over and over. I exit and pull over at the gas station to check it out. Before getting out of my car, I assumed it was the rubber lining for the edge of the fender that came off. NO!!! It was pieces of rubber from my tire's sidewall!! I was shocked. So now my fender is slightly damaged with cracked paint, my 1 month old Falken FK452's sidewall is all shredded up (It still holds air but I'm sure the sidewall integrity is diminished).

I don't know what to do!! I was thinking of mounting on a 235/35 but then I'd have to change out the other front tire to a 235/35 which I don't want to do because both front tires are practically brand new!! Even then, what if the same problem occurs again when I get the narrower tires mounted. I still need an alignment also and get my fender fixed and repainted.

I am practically broke now and so many mishaps have been happening to me and my Lexus. Just the other day I had to pay PepBoys to break off an overtorqued wheel lock.

What the should I do? I am so frustrated right now!!
Old 01-28-07, 07:59 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think your only choice is to put back on your stock and save up for some newer tires. 235 may be good but im not sure about stretching 225 on a 9 inch rim.
Old 01-28-07, 08:56 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

whats wrong with a 225/35/19 on a 9

Old 01-28-07, 09:29 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

gato u gota send me close up of all ur wheels.. wow!

on a 20 inch wheel I'd probably go as slim as possible for the reasons you've mentioned. also what type of suspension do u have that will make a big difference in how ur car responds to road defects. if u can, I'd jack the stiffnss level up all the way on susp, if its adjustable.

I think we`ve all lost tires and messed up fenders its part of the game u gota experience it one time or another. I actually did this on my MR2 I had put some new pirelli Pzeros (not no nero either) 255 35 18 on my rears had to drive 2 hr to get back to school..and that was the worst feeling ever I rubbed the tire alll the way from cleveland back to columbus. The tire was tore up by the time I'd gotten to campus..I feel for you brother.. just put some 225s up front like gato said would be best choice.. ill look like u hid your tires too =) do some research on here everybody is great on this forum, ull find guys with ur size wheels find out what worked for them. I'm currently doing same thing, gato has been a great help with that.
Old 01-28-07, 05:00 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

gato... what are your widths/offsets?
Old 01-29-07, 02:23 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GATO
whats wrong with a 225/35/19 on a 9
Nothing wrong if you want the VIP, rim-edge-exposed look. If you don't (like me ), then it is a problem.

Getting aggressive rims is fine if you are willing to go through the effort (and/or $) to make them "fit". If not, stay somewhat conservative or else you are opening yourself up for heartache.