GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New car cant decide: GS430 or BMW530i

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-01, 02:53 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa!!! You're only 18 and shopping for a GS430?! You LUCKY BASTARD! Seriously though, you said you've been in love with Lexus for a while so do the right thing and follow your heart. I am very partial to Lexus so of course I would recommend the GS for all the reasons that the others have mentioned. Let us know when you decide!
Old 11-11-01, 05:21 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 & 530 in the family here

I had this same issue when I bought my GS430 6 months ago.

Earlier this year my parents bought a 2001 BMW 530 Premium (no sports package) and I loved this car and wanted it with the sports package.

A few months later, I was in the market for a car and it was either the 530i with sports package of the GS430 fully loaded with ML and NAV. The 530i fully loaded was actually close in price to the Lexus.

I noticed that the handling and steering on the 530 was very tight and solid where as the GS430 was more loose and floaty as many people say.

However I could not deny the Lexus V8 300HP engine and how sweet it was. Don't get me wrong even the 225HP BMW V6 is quick, but something about having 300HP under your hood is simply amazing.

Get the Lexus GS430 fully loaded with ML AUDIO and NAV and then perform some kind of Ltuned mod to enhance the steering and handling. Make sure to get at least get the 17" Wheel upgrade, since it really makes the car look so much better.

Besides, you see so many 5 series out there, that you can't tell them apart. A 540 would be nice, but BMW still does not have a hold on their QUALITY CONTROL.

RELIABILITY is the other factor and Lexus us SOLID!

Good luck and great choices!
Old 11-11-01, 07:53 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Gotcha. One other thing, not so much for you now that you've explained that you prefer content to sportiness, but for others who are following this thread for the same info: Once you enhance the handling of the GS, you begin to notice how little side support there is in its seats. The 540i Sport's seats have substantial side bolstering to alleviate this problem. Nothing big, but worth mentioning.
Old 11-12-01, 02:31 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Do the right thing for your "FUTURE" and get the Lexus!! Still to this day, I smile ear to ear when I see modded GS's rolling around!! Nothing sweeter!!

As far as stereo upgrades go... In honor or Gene, Percy and the other audio guru's I will have to say NO ML!! And if you go nav u WILL have problems hooking up optional tv's!!

If you talk to Gene or Percy in the electronics section they will tell you that you can build a system that BLOWS THE ML PACKAGE out fo the water for LESS than what the upgrade costs!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I would get the CHEAPEST system Lexus makes, then gut that mother and put in a WHOLE NEW MULTIMEDIA system...

Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, Eclipse, Clarion all carry DOPE heads for your car. I'm going w/ all the new Pioneer gear.

Good luck with the new ride. I was 18 when I got my GS400 and I LOVE IT!! Ladies love it too
Old 11-12-01, 08:16 AM
Benny
Rookie

you are comparing apples to oranges. like many before me have stated, you don't want the v6 530. consider a used 540 before getting the 530. I was stuck in same circumstances. I ended up with gs4 and i love it.
Old 11-12-01, 10:15 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I was in the same situation as you a yr ago..however, I was comparing the GS300 and the 530i instead..Well, here's the result:

BMW

Pros:

Looks (this is totally subjective)
Handling and power
Quality and refinement
All types of gadgets that the GS doesn't have (e.g.: Power rear sunshade, side windows sunshade, Parking distance control, rear trunk opener..just to name a few)
Status
You don't even need to fix it up with the sports package
3yr and 36,000 miles free maintenace

Cons:
High price
Reliability
High depreciation compare to Lexus
Outdated navi technology (what..cd-rom?)
BMW dealerships treat you like ****

Lexus

Pros:
Reliability
Build quality
Price
Engine Refinement
Better resale value compare to BMW
Excellent dealership treatment and service
Excellent Navi system (regret that I didn't get it)

Cons:
Lack of gadgets as a luxury sedan
Share too many parts with toyota
Not getting the German Status
Handling should not be this floaty for a sports sedan

So why did I buy a Lexus over BMW? (Most important factor to least)

Reliability, reliability, reliability
Price
Handling (despite that stock GS is a POS in this area, there are so many aftermktparts to make it outperform the BMW)
Excellent customer service

Conclusion - If money is no object or if you are leasing it and you have other spare cars to drive when you BMW breaksdown, get the BMW. If you are buying it and planning to keep it for awhile and this car is more than just show but also a form of transportation, Lexus is the way to go.
Old 11-12-01, 12:56 PM
LiquidSmile
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by manaray
There are quite a few body kits for the BMW 5's...

Hamann, Hartge, AC Schnitzer, Zender, Alpina, etc...

But a GS430 or a BMW 530? I would pick the GS430 hands down...no comparison...

The GS430, with about $1000 worth of aftermarket (TRD mostly) suspension parts will hand any 5-series it's ***...
What Parts would you suggest for 1000.00 to make it perform better? Be specific, I'm still learning here...
Old 11-12-01, 01:25 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

What Parts would you suggest for 1000.00 to make it perform better? Be specific, I'm still learning here...
This is covered in-depth all throughout the site, but you should look at the L-Tuned shocks, springs, and steering ECU first. They firm up the handling substantially (and lower the car a little for a more aggressive stance!), and are a perfect compromise between sport and comfort for most people. If you REALLY want to corner on rails and don't mind a little harshness to the ride, the TRD front/rear sways take it to the next level. I'd start with the L-Tuned parts only and find your ideal comfort level.

I haven't put the TRD strut tower brace on my GS430 because it requires that the engine cover be removed and doesn't really affect the ride much if you've done all of the above.

L-Tuned and (some) TRD equipment is under the car's original factory warranty if installed by a Lexus dealer. That's probably important to you if you're buying a brand new car...

Hope this helps...
Old 11-12-01, 04:39 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait and get the BMW 745I
Old 11-12-01, 04:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Mark
which looks like a stretched new 3 series compact.

with the interior that's as ugly as a dentist's office.
Old 11-12-01, 05:10 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: New car cant decide: GS430 or BMW530i

Originally posted by futuregs
Hey all I'm brand new to this board, but have been visiting it for over a year. I'm 18 and looking into two cars, either the GS 430 or the BMW 530i (Birthday present in May). Both will be FULLY equipped. I have been stuck on the GS for over a year now, I love Japanese cars, and their quiet engines. But i hear the BMW is a better car. I know what you guys probably prefer so I'm asking what are some major features of the GS 430? ANy help would appreciated
Thanks
I have both the GS400 and the 528i which is similar to what you are asking about. Well, my wife drives the 5 series - nuff said!

Anyway, if you have the choice between a NA V8 engine and an NA V6 engine go with the V8 - hands down. I am quite confused that you will be given the choice of the GS430 vs. the 530i - why not the 540i. There is no comparison. If you have a choice pick the GS430...IMHO.
Old 11-12-01, 05:12 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

which looks like a stretched new 3 series compact.

with the interior that's as ugly as a dentist's office.
LOL! Funny, but true. More market share for Lexus!
Old 11-12-01, 06:16 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mark

Um yeah hold on let me take out 75k out of my bank account right now and go pick one up when it comes out. =]
Old 11-13-01, 09:44 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Of course you need to drive both cars and that should make up your mind, but since you asked for opinions...

I would definitely go for the GS430. As a current BMW owner, I can tell you the best thing Bimmers have going for them is snob appeal. Reliability, build quality, and dealership experience are all lacking. You pay a premium price for that roundel on the hood, whereas Lexus just builds a GREAT car and then treats you like a valued customer. Hell, I say that because all I've been is a PROSPECTIVE customer and they've treated me well. It's purely personal, but I like the looks and design of Japanese cars better than German ones...
Old 11-13-01, 09:51 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

BMW is not a bad vehicle at all. It has set the standard for the luxury vehicle and the only problem they have is their quality, which you would think you pay that much for a car, you should get perfection in quality, not the case with BMW. Another draw back is that after the free maintenance I hear the service for the BMW after the warranty is extremely expensive at times too.

Even after all of this, I still want a BMW 330i sedan (more practical) with the Sports Package. There is something about this small car with those huge tires that is very appealing. They are even now offerring an 18" rim as a $900 option, but I still like the 17" rim style better. I love my GS430, but it's just doesn't have that handling and solid feel like the BMW.

Quick Reply: New car cant decide: GS430 or BMW530i