GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New car cant decide: GS430 or BMW530i

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-01, 10:55 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the L-tuned springs and shocks before you go for the Bimmer.

Originally posted by lexguynj
BMW is not a bad vehicle at all. It has set the standard for the luxury vehicle and the only problem they have is their quality, which you would think you pay that much for a car, you should get perfection in quality, not the case with BMW. Another draw back is that after the free maintenance I hear the service for the BMW after the warranty is extremely expensive at times too.

Even after all of this, I still want a BMW 330i sedan (more practical) with the Sports Package. There is something about this small car with those huge tires that is very appealing. They are even now offerring an 18" rim as a $900 option, but I still like the 17" rim style better. I love my GS430, but it's just doesn't have that handling and solid feel like the BMW.
Old 11-13-01, 04:28 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

You are 18? If I was your parents I would want you to get the low hp, good handling car. It has plenty of power for your driving experience. Despite all the comments above, BMW's do feel better to drive. BMWCCA is a huge club with lots of fun events, including autox's, driving schools, rallys, etc. which will make you a much better driver in your 530i than some guy in a Lexus with "mods". 20" wheels are pimpy and willl just make your car slower and force you to buy crappy tires because good tires in 20" size are serious bank.

Given your age, you should also get a manual and learn to drive it. You have the rest of your life to drive an automatic.

What you should really be getting is a three year old 328is but that is just my opinion.

Sorry guys, just had to have one post in favor of the 530i.

KKelly
'91 M5 (you could get one of these in pristine condition for half the price of either your two choices but too much power for an 18 year old)
'00 323iT auto (wife's car, slow but handles GREAT)
Old 11-13-01, 06:08 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by futuregs

Um yeah hold on let me take out 75k out of my bank account right now and go pick one up when it comes out. =]

Sound like a good plan
Old 11-13-01, 08:50 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhh, here we go, the constant fight over german vs japanese. From a guy's standpoint who owns both cars, here's a "layman's" point of view over the whole thing:

general feel: BMW somehow seems to feel sturdier than the aristo. I mean the door clunks a lot more convincingly than the aristo and it really feels like i am riding a big car (i.e.: heavy, strong) and the aristo feels no far heavier than riding in a tin can (no offense, i tell it as it is).

power: no comparison, byebye bimmer. I have a V300 aristo and in all honesty, when compared with the inline-6 of my 528i, there is no contest. Outpowered by some 100hp, the bimmer might as well....well, might as well be at a standstill.

look: this is all about personal preference. Most people in my country still look to the aristo as just yet another toyota. The bimmer gets more looks (probably because of the hamann gtr kit slammed to the ground). Don't take this comment to heart, different cultures have different understanding as to what is considered beautiful. I personally like the strong lines of the bimmer and the beautiful angel-eyes headlights, but love the Aristo's smooth, almost feminine lines too.

Handling: I dunno. My Bimmer handles like crap with the big 19" wheels and living in the world's 4th most populous city in the world doesn't really give you a chance to drive your car hard anywhere, not even the highway. The Aristo has stock handling and it does have a very "buoyant" quality to it. Nice for city driving, grocery getting and sending your parents to do their errands.

That's my 2 rupiah (Indo currency) hehe.
Old 11-13-01, 11:06 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks again all =]
Old 11-15-01, 01:37 AM
LexKilla
Driver School Candidate

Cool Q45

You should test drive the new Q45... I owned the Gs430 shortly before I experienced the ultimate driving machine. There has been issues about its 0-60 times being over 6.3 but I have had no such luck in anything over 5.9 secs...I LOVE THE 340HP (ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM). The system is way better than the ML in the GS. It has like 9 speakers including a 12" subwoofer. And the interior....oh the interior is something else. It just looks like something out of this world and GS does not even come close in this department. It took awhile for it to grow on me but it is just the most beautiful car. Just the little details that are done in quality and excellent craftsmanship. Another reason why I got rid of the GS is because they are so common everywhere and quite simply they look a little dull to me know IMO. Infiniti has always been there behind Lex with innovation and style and I think they are starting to build on something special with the new Q. They are also having a the new G35 (skyline) which will compete with the Lex IS and G35 is hands down a much better car including 255-260 HP. They will be having a new crossover SUV that is kinda cool and also a LARGE SUV in the next few years. Yeh Infiniti is different but that's why I like it. Infiniti is the way to go dude Everyone loves my car and I see jaws dropping everywhere. I had several people drive my car that own GS's and they wish they owned one. Hope I don't confuse you but just drive one and you'll know what I'm talking about. PEACE OUT YA'LL. Bye the way I still like Lexus, but my second choice car would be the LS then maybe the GS....but then again I like my Infiniti so much....hehe If ya got enough cash cuz I know it's a little more than the BMW and GS checkout the Q45. IT'S DA BOMB!!

Last edited by LexKilla; 11-15-01 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-15-01, 02:13 AM
LexKilla
Driver School Candidate

OOPs, I forgot to mention the rear view camera in the Q, it does come in hand......I JUST LOVE THIS CAR!!! Can't wait till I put my 21" LD's on it and body kit like in the pic below.

Last edited by LexKilla; 11-15-01 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-15-01, 02:46 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

I agree with LexKilla no A LOT of his points!! The new Q is quite an impressive car. One of the cooler things I know about it that he didn't mention was the VOICE ACTIVATED featues with include radio and climate control.

The Q is a dope car but it's competition is NOT the GS!! The competition would be the LS, and to me, the LS is sweeter than the Q! I talked to my father (a dealer) who took a track test of the new Q, the LS430, S500, and the Audi A8 and my dad said the LS was the best by far!! I mean, I have to agree w/ that!

How much is the Q?? Is it in teh same price range as GS??
Old 11-15-01, 04:02 AM
LexKilla
Driver School Candidate

Talking

It's around 60k give or take. Yeh I raced the LS and they are quite impressive themselves (I WAS VERY SUPRISED). At the track we were pretty much evenly matched at 0-60 but after that I looked in my rear view mirror and waved BYE BYE I never been beaten yet by an LS or a GS (with mods) going to full speed. The Q's artistry is performed at the higher speeds and it FLYS!!
Old 11-15-01, 04:17 AM
LexKilla
Driver School Candidate

I like the LS very much but the Q just caught my attention (since the LS looks very much like the Avalon). It just like picking a date, Halle Berry or Catherine Zeta-Jones? TOO DANG HARD TO DECIDE!! Of course I love both but I love women of color.

OH HALLE, YOU JUST MAKES ME WANNA HOLLA!

Last edited by LexKilla; 11-15-01 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-15-01, 04:45 AM
LexKilla
Driver School Candidate

Just wait till early 2003 when Infiniti takes the nation by storm unleashing their monster which is a 425 or 450 supercharged Q. I gurantee the M5 and S600 don't want none of dat. Oh yeh....and Lexus you too

Last edited by LexKilla; 11-15-01 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-15-01, 07:16 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Yes, the Q45 is ugly stock, but damn, w/ that kit LexKilla showed, that car looks real smooth...
Old 11-15-01, 10:52 AM
LexKilla
Driver School Candidate

I ran against all those cars at the track actually except for the Jag and beat all dem ba$tards
Like I said....any speed above 60 I OWN THEM are your lil bitty Lex too. Too bad Car & Driver and the other magazine editors don't know how to drive while jaggin' off at the same time TRUST ME...THEY LOVE DIS CAR!

Just go test drive it...don't be afraid

Last edited by LexKilla; 11-15-01 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-15-01, 12:17 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

******, I agree with both of you guys!! The new Q has a LOT of innovative features but it's still an Infiniti!!

The Q is Infiniti's FLAGSHIP model... There is a reason that it costs in the 50's and not the high 60-70's like other flagship models like LS and S-CLASS!!

I think the Q can hold it's own, and like INTELLEXUAL, I like that kit on the Q!! Looks MEAN!! But bottom line, it isn't a LEXUS!!

*I sure would like Lexus to put some of the new features like voice activation, the parking assist camera, and the adjustable REAR seats on their new GS model!!
Old 11-15-01, 12:23 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Nissan/Infiniti horsepower has always been overrated.

Quick Reply: New car cant decide: GS430 or BMW530i