GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New car cant decide: GS430 or BMW530i

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-01, 03:49 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New car cant decide: GS430 or BMW530i

Hey all I'm brand new to this board, but have been visiting it for over a year. I'm 18 and looking into two cars, either the GS 430 or the BMW 530i (Birthday present in May). Both will be FULLY equipped. I have been stuck on the GS for over a year now, I love Japanese cars, and their quiet engines. But i hear the BMW is a better car. I know what you guys probably prefer so I'm asking what are some major features of the GS 430? ANy help would appreciated
Thanks
Old 11-10-01, 03:59 PM
ATLgs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a wannabe 5 series get the 530. But I cant imagine wanting to get the 6 cylinder 5 series over the GS430. No comparison in my mind. The only thing i can say the BMW may have over the Lexus is handling. But that can be changed with minor mods from the dealer. 540 is a different story. But not the 530! Either way GS is the way to go.
Old 11-10-01, 04:08 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

performance wise 530i is about the same as a GS300......... so GS430 is definitely faster. GS is bigger. GS has better quality. GS costs less to maintain. Lexus dealers are generally alot better than BMW dealers. ALOT MORE aftermarket parts for GS. And cheaper too.

BMW 530i sport has better handling.............

GS has alot more suspension parts for it which can make your car out-handle M5.

....... that's about it. Whoever that say 530i is a better than a GS430 must know little if not nothing. 5 series has great handling but hey that's about it.

If you want better performance in a 5 series than get a 540i but a fully loaded one will cost ALOT MORE than a GS430 fully loaded, and it still lacks alot of stuff.
Old 11-10-01, 04:19 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

cool guys thanks for the info so far, what about features in the GS, i heard about water repellent glass and some other cool stuff, sounds awesome. What other features are there, and how is the navigation system. By the way I'm taking a GS 430 for a test drive on Nov 23. Can't wait.
Old 11-10-01, 04:36 PM
Bonzo
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I'm also new to the board, but wanted to give you my opinions, having had my '01 GS430 for a year. I am quite happy with it, and would not trade it, even for a 540! My buddy has a 540, and the only advantage that I could feel was the handling prowess. I have not added any aftermarket handling tricks, but I may do that. In all other aspects (looks, build quality, ride, etc), I think the GS rocks. The ML stereo is well worth the upgrade....to me it makes the driving experience great. I've also never experienced anything that compares to the smoothness of power delivery of this V8...anyway, you have probably got the point of this message. Good luck!
Old 11-10-01, 04:43 PM
fuduNYC
Driver School Candidate

first of all you should not be comparing a GS430 to 530i....

but in any case.. here it is

the suspension is different.... the bmw handles better.. but with an upgrade ont he wheels i think you can fix that..the gs on the other hand is a much smoother ride... feels like you're in an airplane

the lexus features front power lumbar support .. the 5 series does not

the lexus has a mark levinson sound system with 6 CD in dash... in the bmw u only have a single feed CD.. to put multiple CDs you have to go to the trunk..

GS has 300 HP, the 530 has 225 HP

the GS has more legroom and headroom than the 530i
Old 11-10-01, 08:00 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

futuregs,

first welcome. a similar question has been discussed long and hard, so i will try to sum up my experience. each car has its pros and cons. so it all comes down to which driving characteristic you value more. if you care mostly on handling, then 530 is your car. but do think about buying and living with a car on a daily basis, power, maintanence, braeking....all facotrs that mag articles consider when they test the car. bmw could be a better car, if you value things as handling as your top priority. BUT, GS430 has so many other attributes that the 530 does not even offer. for those diehard beemer fans, no mod in this would would ever come close to the feeling of a bmw. that might be true. but, as we have many ex540 owners here, that should tell you something.

personally, i do like the look of the 5 series. but i also value the lower price/power/relaiblity that tips the scale towards the GS430. i do not run circles on my gs4 on a constant basis, and i am extremly satisfied with the little mods that i have to improve the GS ride, look and handling. for me, if bmw improves its electrical system, lower the prices by 5k, use better plastics inside, re-do the int design, a little more rear room, the choice between a gs430 and 540 would be tough. but that might be asking too much, after all, bmw already has that handling factor. may be i am just too picky.....

try to imagine this: you just picked up your new 530, and all of sudden, this gs430 pulls up next to you, tell me what would cross your mind at that mement? if you might say to yourself, may be i should have gotten the GS430, then there is your answer. try the reverse scenario too, just to be fair....

btw, i had a 7 before.....and now i am on my 3rd lexus.....you are getting a mighty nice present, choose wisely.......

william
Old 11-10-01, 08:47 PM
theDIESEL
Rookie

man, no comparision.. If the choice was between the 540i and the GS430, it would be a different conclusion. But the 530 to the GS430? def go with the 430. You can make the 430 look real nice.. and its harder to find nice body kits for the bmw... in my opinion
Old 11-10-01, 11:48 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

cool thanks for the info guys. You helped out alot. I cant wait to test drive the GS on the 23. Still no on ehas given me any info on the mark levinson and Navigation system. I heard its a pain in the A$$ when it starts up. Is this true? Also are their any good sites for aftermarket lexus GS parts?
I know of www.visracing.net and www.ltuned.com Any other good sites? Thanks for the info guys
Old 11-11-01, 12:14 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by futuregs
cool thanks for the info guys. You helped out alot. I cant wait to test drive the GS on the 23. Still no on ehas given me any info on the mark levinson and Navigation system. I heard its a pain in the A$$ when it starts up. Is this true? Also are their any good sites for aftermarket lexus GS parts?
I know of www.visracing.net and www.ltuned.com Any other good sites? Thanks for the info guys
the NAV system is the best stock-NAV in the US. BMW, MB, Audi, Acura NAVs all suck compared to the Lexus ones. They're very easy to use, looks nice, screen is huge, and the functions are unmatchable by others.

Mark Levinson is the best stock audio system in the US too.

There are SO MANY parts for the GS. Performance parts, all major Japanese tuners make parts for the GS including HKS Blitz APEXi GReddy and others. bodykit, theres at least 20 that I know of. Suspension parts, the GS has been used in races and there are COMPLETE suspension kits developed so your car can outhandle M5 or anything like that.

Don't worry about mods. That's one of the greatest thing about Japanese cars, you don't have to worry about mods.

just some Lexus specified websites:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com
www.rodmillenstore.com
http://store.yahoo.com/lexusparts
http://www.jmotorsports.com

some tuners that concentrate mainly on the GS:
QUEST
I.MEC
D-TEC
Egoist
NETZ Sport

others that makes GREAT parts for the GS:
TRD
TOM's
VeilSide
Win.RACING
Wald
Ab-Flug

so don't u worry about mods.
Old 11-11-01, 01:01 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

hey globe, ive been on this board for awhile and you always seemt o have the answers to everything =] I appreciate it thanks....ok another question.......I just went to the rod millen website and they sell all sorts of cool stuff, but anyway i saw wheel spacers, can someone tell me what those are for? THanks =]
Old 11-11-01, 03:17 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Wheel spacers make your wheel stand out more.
If you get the right wheel you do not need spacers.

Buy the GS430 man!!!!!
Old 11-11-01, 03:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

There are quite a few body kits for the BMW 5's...

Hamann, Hartge, AC Schnitzer, Zender, Alpina, etc...

But a GS430 or a BMW 530? I would pick the GS430 hands down...no comparison...

The GS430, with about $1000 worth of aftermarket (TRD mostly) suspension parts will hand any 5-series it's ***...
Old 11-11-01, 10:33 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default A few other things to consider...

Would you like to have a manual transmission? If so, the GS430 is auto-only, but you can gate shift it quite effectively.

The Lexus (and Acura) navigation systems are the best on the market, based on the Alpine DVD system. They provide nationwide coverage and are packed with features. The BMW (and MB, Audi, etc.) nav systems provide only regional coverage and have pretty clunky interfaces.

By the way, similarly equipped GS430s and 540s aren't really that far off from one another in price. I'd at least price out a 540i before I'd make my decision.

Have you considered the Audi A6? The 4.2 has a pretty smooth engine and is available with a manual tranny. The 2.7T can be chipped for fantastic performance and can be had for less than the GS430/540i. Both cars have AWD for incredible handling.

The 540i and A6 have more gadgets available than the Lexus if that matters to you, although many of them add considerably to the price of the car. You can get power sunshades, parking assist, etc., on those cars...

Even though I'm telling you to consider the 540i and A6, my true recommendation is pretty obvious since I had the same decision to make a year ago and got the GS430. However, you should drive all of these cars and decide which one fits you best. Any way that you go you're going to be thrilled!

Good luck...

Last edited by SCWells72; 11-11-01 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-11-01, 01:45 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Default Re: A few other things to consider...

Originally posted by SCWells72
Have you considered the Audi A6? The 4.2 has a pretty smooth engine and is available with a manual tranny. The 2.7T can be chipped for fantastic performance and can be had for less than the GS430/540i. Both cars have AWD for incredible handling.

The 540i and A6 have more gadgets available than the Lexus if that matters to you, although many of them add considerably to the price of the car. You can get power sunshades, parking assist, etc., on those cars...
Good luck...
My mom has an A8L and I'm not the biggest Audi fan. Don't get me wrong their nice (really nice) but Audi isn't my thing. Ive been in love with lexus for years. Thanks for the info though. Also I'm not so much into speed as I used to be. I'm all show now. I like the 20inch chromeys with a nice system, tv's all that junk. But anyway thanks alot everyone, when i test drive the car on the 23 i'll let you know how it went =]

Quick Reply: New car cant decide: GS430 or BMW530i