GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

coolant leak behind intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 05:48 AM
migitymark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak behind intake

Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams or advice about a coolant leak I have? It leaks from the rear water bypass connection on the drivers side, where the metal tube connects, well slips into it. does this have some gasket or something? I can wiggle it and pull it out with relative ease...id think it would be clipped in or something....thanks in advance
Old 02-02-07, 10:06 AM
migitymark
Driver

somebody has to know something....maybe I should rename this "poll: what paint color do you have"
Old 02-02-07, 11:40 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can check my svc manual for a diagram later if you want.
Old 02-02-07, 11:49 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

funny thing... i have a small coolant leak as well. i went under the car to check it and mine is coming from a small black tube where one end is not connected to anything.

i think it might have slipped off from somewhere but i'll have to wait till it gets warmer to go under the car again. it's only dripping very very slowly now so it should be okay for some time i hope..
Old 02-02-07, 12:59 PM
migitymark
Driver

YEah, that would be REALLY helpful. That black tube wouldnt be from the overflow would it?
Old 02-02-07, 03:44 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by migitymark
YEah, that would be REALLY helpful. That black tube wouldnt be from the overflow would it?

i have no idea... i will take a look at it again once it gets warmer. but the tube dangles vertically and the last time i was under the car i saw a drop of coolant at the end of it. there's no coolant leaking from around the water pump that i could see; so, i assumed that must've been where the coolant was leaking from.

if anyone could post up a diagram that would be great. thanks all.
Old 02-02-07, 04:36 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming that you have a GS400 with the 1UZ-FE. If you do, then there ARE gaskets on that crossover. There is a gasket on each head with 2 bolt-holes going through it, and a large hole in the center to allow the coolant to go through it.

Did you recently change the starter or have it done? Make sure that you have two bolts on each side of the crossover directly above that respective head.

I did my starter recently, and I bought 2 intake manifold gaskets, and 2 crossover assembly gaskets. That crossover contains the rubber hoses going into and coming out of the heater core inside the car.

That crossover has to be removed to get good access to the starter. Otherwise people have been known to build or fashion a special wrench bent to go around the crossover assembly. Buy the gaskets and be done with it. They don't need adhesive. They are metal on the outside, and rubber around the holes. The rubber seals the connections, and I have never had a leak. With all 4 bolts in place, that crossover does NOT MOVE!

I am guessing that if you can move the gasket and crossover around, it has only one bolt on a side in it. One may have worked loose if it was not tightened properly, or not put back in. Either way, you will have to check for those 2 bolts that go through the crossover on each side, then the gasket, and into the head. When the crossover is removed, the coolant in the head is visible. That is a good time to check the condition of the coolant aned change if necessary. ONLY RED Toyota coolant or equivalent synthetic coolant. Do NOT use GREEN ethylene glycol coolant in this car...especially if it is MIXED with the red stuff that is already in there.

Check it out and I hope you have all 4 bolts. If not, get what you need along with 2 new crossover gaskets from Toyota or Lexus.

Do a search, and see if you can find the DIY for the starter removal and replacement. After the intake manifold is removed, the crossover can clearly be seen in the tutorial. To fix your problem should NOT require removal of the intake manifold assembly. A socket and extension is all you need to take out the 4 bolts on the crossover out back. I THINK they are 10mm bolts.

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited by gserep1; 02-02-07 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 07:27 AM
migitymark
Driver

thanks, but its leaking at the tube coming out of the top of the crossover. the tube then leads to a rubber hose that goes onti the heater core. right where that metal tube slips into the crossover...thats the problem. the end of the tube is kinda shaped like a barrel, where its maybe 0.2 mm larger in diameter 1/4" from the end than it is at the end & 1/2" from the end.
Old 02-03-07, 07:32 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then it seems to be the one piece crossover tube assembly that is bad. I've never seen one go bad, but there is a first time for everything/ You have to remove both heater hoses from that assrembly..Change them if need be), and change the whole piece. Get new crossover gaskets.
Old 02-03-07, 10:47 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Use the engine forum in the future.