GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cement Trucks Suck

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 08:09 AM
overboost
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cement Trucks Suck

so cement trucks really suck, they left me a nice present on the way to work today

and I have another nice 1 right smack dab in the middle of my windshield from a previous adventure. There are so many things i'd like to do to those trucks I dont even know where to start. Anyone else have any horror stories or have gotten things like this fixed? About how much did it run you?

and if anyone asks no I was not directly behind him, I was in the far left lane and he was in the far right on a 3 lane highway. I saw the rock get kicked up in the air in front of me and was heading twoards center of my windshield. I couldnt swerve right due to another car being there so I braked pretty hard and swerved left onto the shoulder to no avail.
Old 02-08-07, 08:14 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

that sucks... big time wish i could help
Old 02-08-07, 08:45 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

in bc, between vancouver and richmond, heading southbound on the knight street bridge is where 50% of vancouver's windshields break or crack... i've gone thru 2 windshields there... sucks...
Old 02-08-07, 10:09 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that sucks.

it must be different in TX, but here in FL the insurance companies replace your windshield for zero deductible.
Old 02-08-07, 10:13 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

I know that the truck drivers are working to make a living but, they are supposed to wash off and prevent leaving any flying debries behind.

If you see things flying off vehicels you can call 311 and report. (little consolation though)

Salim
Old 02-08-07, 10:27 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about your incident.... On getting a replacement, make sure you get the Lexus Windshield, insurance companies tend to give you an aftermarket or whatever they get cheap for! I heard those aftermarket ones aren't that great, could be thickness, poor quality, and etc.

Good Luck
Old 02-08-07, 10:33 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you know you might be able to fill that with one of those fix it kits from the autostore. I had a crack like that once, filled it with that liquid glass fix thing, and now you can't find it if I don't show you where it was. Try it.
Old 02-08-07, 10:34 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Depending on the vendor, if you got the truck ID number, they will cut you a check. Most large companies are self insured.
Cement trucks as a whole are the most dangerous vehicles on the road by far. They are extremely top heavy once loaded, most are overloaded, very poor brakes, and the training to get into one is very limited. I know from experience.
Stay away from them and never and I mean never cut one off or jump in front of one to hit your brakes. Never get along side of one around any curve or corner. They will plow through your gas tank like paper or land on you like a meteor.
Plus of course, I recommend you not get behind one and not allow one to get behind you. I always go around any I see on the highway to avoid stuff like this.
We had a recent incident where a BMW 5 series owner was killed when rear ended by one. Truck was not even going that fast yet still destroyed the BMW's gas tank causing the deadly explosion killing the BMW driver on the spot.
Old 02-08-07, 10:40 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vborder
Sorry to hear about your incident.... On getting a replacement, make sure you get the Lexus Windshield, insurance companies tend to give you an aftermarket or whatever they get cheap for! I heard those aftermarket ones aren't that great, could be thickness, poor quality, and etc.
usually with jobber (aftermarket) windshields, it's not colour, it's not thickness, it's not size or fit that's the issue... it's quality and imperfections... i've seen jobber windshields with separation in the lamination... a wavy look throughout the glass, or even at times, the black shadow around the glass extends too far in... or has a bad edge or something...

i trust jobber windshields, so long as they're made by PPG...
Old 02-08-07, 10:45 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default windshield damage?

Originally Posted by chuckb
that sucks.

it must be different in TX, but here in FL the insurance companies replace your windshield for zero deductible.
I concurr! That must suck!
Old 02-08-07, 11:59 AM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also feel your pain.. I've got so many rock chips and windshield knicks from dumptrucks/18 wheelers. Texas is hardcore with debris.
Old 02-08-07, 12:01 PM
qlex56
Lead Lap

damn those cement trucks
Old 02-08-07, 12:12 PM
beaterKU
Pole Position

I feel your pain man.

On a side not, does anyone know why there is only 1 seat in a ready-mix truck?

...So the driver knows which side to get in on.

I know, terrible. I deal with ready-mix drivers daily and let me tell you they are not the smartest breed out there.
Old 02-08-07, 03:22 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to Kragen's, PepBoys, or Autozone and purchase a windshield repair kit made by Permatex. It is about $10 and will fix the star patterned cracks as well as the long ones. It works really really well and I advise to get one ASAP as those cracks don't waste time in spreading. I fixed my gf's windshield the other day on her 90' Accord. The kit recommends that you repair in sunlight so that it will cure faster.
Old 02-08-07, 05:58 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh man. I feel your pain. Since last May, I've been through 3 windshields (my original Toyota glass and 2 PPGs). I now have Lexus. Let me say this. Anyone who tries to tell you that PPG or any other aftermarket brand is just as good as OEM is just plain wrong. After cracking the Toyota glass, my insurance company insisted on aftermarket, so I selected PPG because of their excellent reputation. The windshield was fine, except for the fact that there was an area of bad distortion in the lower right hand corner (well, there was actually one other problem in that a faint crease developed along the roof of my car, which is another story for another day). The PPG glass was replaced with a second PPG windshield, and the waves were so bad you could surf on it. I've never seen anything like that before. After the installer left, I seriously thought that Alan Funt was going to pop out from behind the trees and announce that I was on candid camera. Yes, it was that bad. Finally, after wasting so much time and energy on this debacle, the insurance company finally caved in and gave me Lexus glass. Guess what, no more distortion. And, although I could be imagining it, I think it's a bit quieter than the PPGs.

If it ever happens again, I'll insist on Lexus glass from the beginning. My comp deductible is $500, and the Lexus glass is only around $600. If you have a local shop do the installation, they could probably do it for around $100. As long as they've got a good reputation, you'll be fine. It's not rocket science.

Quick Reply: Cement Trucks Suck