GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Disabling automatic tilt/telescoping steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 10:48 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any way to lubricate the motor or gear?? Haven't really opened it up and checked.
Old 02-12-07, 11:00 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

The SC guys have had the telescoping steering fail so they replace the gear and lube it again. Only with the yellow stuff that lexus uses. I'm sure our cars would be similar.
Old 02-12-07, 05:22 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I tried getting in and out of the car today with the car running (so the steering wheel would be in the "set" position). Because I like to drive with the steering wheel relatively low, I have to say that it's nice having it automatically tilt up and out of the way. If I were to disable the automatic feature, I think I might have to drive with it a little higher. I'm only 5'7", so it's no big deal, but I could see where this might be an issue for some of the taller guys.
Old 02-12-07, 06:21 PM
wallcloud
Driver School Candidate

My tilt is messed up. I would prefer to have the old manual type. I think a new tilt motor is over a grand plus instalation.
Old 06-12-07, 06:47 PM
wolfman75
Driver School Candidate

Stupid dealer here in teh Washington DC area wanted to charge me $120 to disable my CBest steering column!! What a RIP! I had it done TWICE in California (before I moved here) and they were both free during my oil change!!!
Old 06-12-07, 06:51 PM
chrispy

I actually opened up the steering column a few months ago and cleaned out the motors and lubed them back up with some lithium grease from autozone. They work great now. It was pretty tough getting into the small space. You have to work upsidedown.
Old 06-12-07, 07:47 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisES
I actually opened up the steering column a few months ago and cleaned out the motors and lubed them back up with some lithium grease from autozone. They work great now. It was pretty tough getting into the small space. You have to work upsidedown.
got a DIY write up? Mine squeeks everytime I take out/put in the keys.
Old 06-12-07, 07:57 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Sorry, I don't. I was so mad every time it would get stuck in the up position I just ripped it apart and pulled them out. It's still not smooth as I want so I might do it again sometime. I'll try to make a DIY if I do open it back up.
Old 06-12-07, 07:58 PM
kit cat

Sorry, I don't. I was so mad every time it would get stuck in the up position I just ripped it apart and pulled them out. It's still not smooth as I want so I might do it again sometime. I'll try to make a DIY if I do open it back up.
just rip apart interior parts and spray WD40? if so, that'll be a nice weekend project for this weekend.
Old 06-12-07, 08:03 PM
chrispy

just rip apart interior parts and spray WD40? if so, that'll be a nice weekend project for this weekend.
Oh no it's much more involved than that. You have to take apart everything under the steering column then disconnect and remove both motors (up/down and in/out). Then open both of them up and clean out all the old dried up grease and then lubed them back up with fresh lithium grease. I tried getting into the gears too but it was too hard. That's where most of the dried grease is. BTW WD40 is a DEgreaser so that's not what you want.

EDIT: Actually what I was describing is to make it smoother and not get stuck. I don't know why yours would squeak.
Old 06-12-07, 08:12 PM
kit cat

Oh no it's much more involved than that. You have to take apart everything under the steering column then disconnect and remove both motors (up/down and in/out). Then open both of them up and clean out all the old dried up grease and then lubed them back up with fresh lithium grease. I tried getting into the gears too but it was too hard. That's where most of the dried grease is. BTW WD40 is a DEgreaser so that's not what you want.

EDIT: Actually what I was describing is to make it smoother and not get stuck. I don't know why yours would squeak.
stupid Lexus and their luxury. so i need to get in there and pull out the motor...why didn't I get a garage when I moved to my new apartment... and yeah, WD40 probably wont be a good idea
Old 07-11-07, 02:31 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone actually had the dealer turned this setting off. I went to the dealer once to get it done and they told me "It is not an option for my car" after checking. I have a 2000, is it possible this option is available only for 01+??
Old 07-11-07, 10:30 PM
JLAM
Pole Position

I went to the dealership to have them disable it but they wanted to charge me...so I just left. I went digging around under the dash and unpluged the harness for now. I dont care to have this feature. I wonder why they didn't put an on/off switch on the column like my old 1st gen GS???
The following users liked this post:
Equalizir (06-10-17)
Old 07-11-07, 10:40 PM
gobears
Pole Position

will the dealer do it for free?
Old 07-12-07, 07:37 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

I remember seeing a DIY post for it a couple of years ago, that included pics. Over 2yrs ago, my steering column would squeek once engaged, so now I just keep it in the fully retracted position, so now it doesnt even move...

Quick Reply: Disabling automatic tilt/telescoping steering wheel