GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Right Front Tire Loosing Air, Can't Seem To Fix It???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-01, 10:10 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Front Tire Loosing Air, Can't Seem To Fix It???

I seem to have a slight problem. In the morning I saw my front right tire was almost flat. I put some air into it and took it to my local flat fix. The leaking air seem to be coming from two places.

1) Both of the leaks are found between the rim and tire on the back side of the wheel. The back side is where the back side of the rim is facing the rotors. To be more specific, the leak is between the connection of the tire to the rim. Its not bent in any way.

So my guy told me that I have to go back to the place where I bought the rims from because he says its a defect. Now I call that place and he said no its the tire that has the problem. He said probably the "beads" broke on the tire and I have to get a new one. I have the Toyo T1-S and I barely have any miles on it. Its not covered under warranty only the rim is.

Does anyone have any suggestions??
Old 11-14-01, 10:23 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

D-Man,
Did they try cleaning the bead at least before reinflating the tire? I had a problem on some 17" chrome rims on a car and there was dirt that built up in the bead, which caused the flat. I personally don't buy into the bead on the tire being broke, but if they are fairly new tires, that could be. I would suggest having another tire put on the rim to see if it leaks as well. If it does, this narrows the problem down to the rim. Otherwise there is no way to be sure what the real cause of the problem is, tire or rim??? Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 11-14-01, 10:32 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks man for the quick response.

I just phoned my brother-in-law about this. He said that all chrome wheels will have this problem. He said the best way is to use a special glue to place between the rim and tire. The glue was specifically designed to tackle this annoying problem. He said something about the chrome will have "uneven" surfaces throughout the rim and sometimes air will leak out and pretty much the glue will do the trick.

Funny thing because the flat fix nor the wheel shop mentioned anything about this. They probably knew this easy solution but probably wanted to make a quick buck

Anyone else used this solution?
Old 11-14-01, 10:36 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I had a single leak between a rim and a tire, and when I visited one of the local tire places, I've been told that this problem is not uncommon.
The tire needs to be resealed again. I believe the tire places are using an used oil(?) on the adge of a rim before putting a tire on it to seal it from leaking.

Hopefully this will help,

Chris K.
95 SC400
Old 11-14-01, 10:47 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Volume

The guys at a volume shop such as discount tire, will have seen everything and will be more likely to be able to solve your problem.
Old 11-14-01, 11:42 AM
BkInBlk
Rookie

Default Rim Leak

It is possible to have a problem with the rim. With a prior auto (Q45), I had the same problem. The dealer sent me to the tire shop that they used. When we put the whole thing under water, you could see that air was bleeding through the rim - not the tire. They replaced the rim - problem solved. On the Q, these were alloys which the tire shop discribed as very porous. There was a small scrape where the tire bead attached to the rim, and this is where the leak came from.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-01, 12:02 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Rim Leak

Originally posted by BkInBlk
It is possible to have a problem with the rim. With a prior auto (Q45), I had the same problem. The dealer sent me to the tire shop that they used. When we put the whole thing under water, you could see that air was bleeding through the rim - not the tire. They replaced the rim - problem solved. On the Q, these were alloys which the tire shop discribed as very porous. There was a small scrape where the tire bead attached to the rim, and this is where the leak came from.

Hope this helps.
Hmm your rims, when you found out that you had holes in it, how long did you have them? Remember, my rims/tires don't have too many miles on them. If I had to guess I only have 6000miles or less on them.
Old 11-14-01, 12:05 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Volume

Originally posted by willard west
The guys at a volume shop such as discount tire, will have seen everything and will be more likely to be able to solve your problem.
Frankly to tell you the truth, I trust NO ONE. All these stores in NYC are so shady, they will tell you ANYTHING just to make a buck. The only people I can rely on is people that I know !
Old 11-14-01, 12:08 PM
JacobT

It happened to me before. The tire shop re-mount the tire several times but failed to correct the problem. Finally, they gave me a new tire that fixed the problem right there.
Old 11-14-01, 03:22 PM
BkInBlk
Rookie

Default Leaking Rim

It was a new Q45 less than 6 months old.
Old 11-14-01, 04:22 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

HERE'S A NOVEL CONCEPT.

TAKE THE WHEEL OFF (REFER TO INSTRUCTION MANUAL ON HOW TO DO THIS).

SUBMERGE IT UNDER WATER.

SEE WHERE THE LEAK IS.

ELIMINATE TIRE OR RIM AS SUSPECT.

GET IT FIXED.

THAT EASY.

TRUST NO ONE. DO IT YOURSELF.

Manuel