GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

using VSC when there is snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 05:38 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using VSC when there is snow?

Do any of you guys do it?

I almost got plowed today because I was making a right turn and put on the gas and it wasn't going anywhere. By the time I figured out what the heck was wrong.. a car was coming through the intersection. Luckily I was able to shut it off and it spun a little (prob cause I was still trying to give it a little gas but it was much better than when I had the VSC on).

I don't feel very comfortable when VSC on now after this incident. Have any of you guys run into the same problem?
Old 02-14-07, 05:41 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

It can save your a$$ if you know when to use it and when to turn it of. Sometimes you need wheelspin and that's when you want to turn it off. I got stuck at a light today because the VSC wasn't allowing enough wheelspin for me to get the car rolling from a dead stop
Old 02-14-07, 05:59 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

if you had an LSD, it'd really really help...

VSC is only there to keep your car going where the steering tires are directing it... it's nanny mode... it doesn't exactly do what most drivers desire their cars to do...
Old 02-14-07, 06:04 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Yeah.. I think I will leave it off for now on.. regardless. I am pretty sure I can feel or hear if my wheels are spinning. I wonder how many people have got into accidents because they pulled out into traffic and realized they weren't going anywhere.
Old 02-14-07, 06:37 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

The rear end on the GS can step out VERY easily, I would leave the VSC on and turn it off when you really need it. When it's snowing out isn't really the time to be making turns where you're cutting it so close you'll be in trouble if you can't accelerate immediately
Old 02-14-07, 09:08 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In crappy weather you should be giving yourself tons of room, no matter if vsc is on or off. If you almost got hit because you didn't "take off" then you should have/could have waited for a better oportunity.
Old 02-14-07, 10:57 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DSM2GS400
In crappy weather you should be giving yourself tons of room, no matter if vsc is on or off. If you almost got hit because you didn't "take off" then you should have/could have waited for a better oportunity.
uh.. that's why I was asking the question in the first place.. I gave what I thought was plenty of room and got in a situation where I didn't know what was happening with my car. I never had this issue with any one of my previous cars. A problem I am sure a lot of people that experience VSC in the snow for the first time probably go through. The weather wasn't "crappy" either. It was perfectly clear outside.. except there was slush that caused VSC to kick in... and that was only after I was already in the intersection... oh and it wasn't because "I" didn't take off it was that the "car" wouldn't take off.

Last edited by magnetik; 02-14-07 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 03:02 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by magnetik
I never had this issue with any one of my previous cars.
Any car with traction controll will do this in certain conditions...the older the trac-system is...the worse it is...you should try the TRAC-system in the mkIV Supra...that system could REALLY get you into trouble

BUT...as has been stated earlier in this thread...having a good LSD will help
Old 02-15-07, 09:30 AM
flipish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by narfy
if you had an LSD, it'd really really help...

VSC is only there to keep your car going where the steering tires are directing it... it's nanny mode... it doesn't exactly do what most drivers desire their cars to do...
does getting an LSD affect the VSC?? i have been wanting to put on on to my gs but not sure if VSC will still work properly or the same after the installation of a LSD.
Old 02-15-07, 09:39 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something to that effect happen yesterday while going up my driveway. I just put the car in reverse and with some gravity, I then put the car in drive and was able to drive up.

My GS is the first car that I have with some form of a traction control system. I'm still totally not clear how this system works. All I know is yesterday driving through the snow & ice, various times I heard what sounded like a clicking noise and the orange light (the car with the skid lines) light up on the dash. Mind you that the VSC was on as always and I had the car set to ECT/Snow mode. I guess it helped for the most part but the back did fishtail a little bit while on the road. The fishtail I blame for still having my low-profile tires on which both tires tread is not all that great. Not totally worn but part of Abe's head on the penny test was still covered. So can anyone please quickly in a nutshell explain what the car does when it senses slippage. Thanks!!
Old 02-15-07, 10:13 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

I hit a patch of black ice on Tuesday and between me trying to steer out of it and VSC hitting the brake on the right tires saved my GS.

You should also have it in snow mode so it doesn't use first gear. This really helps in slippery conditions. IMO VSC won't kick on as much.
Old 02-15-07, 05:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

VSC is a retarded system and can get you in an accident. Shutting it off with the button doesn't fully turn it off, it just shuts down traction control.
Old 02-15-07, 05:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

VSC almost got me into accident several time

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=stupid+vsc
Old 02-15-07, 06:08 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i took out one of my drivers side abs sensor so i never have traction control, i think that traction control is dangerous it give out too much when you wanna have fun or are in a tricky situation.
Old 02-15-07, 06:22 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
VSC almost got me into accident several time

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=stupid+vsc
exactly what happened to me!

Quick Reply: using VSC when there is snow?