GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

first time posting photos of my car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 11:19 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
where did you get your clear side markers?
you can get em on ebay
Old 02-21-07, 03:57 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

nice! I like the white on silver
Old 02-21-07, 04:54 PM
CLEV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InspiredGS
thanks... i was waiting for the vaistech also but gave up on them.. i bought my convertor through a group buy at acurazine.com... i have a 3.2TL also so i'm on the forums over there also... i don't think they have any groups buys on them at the moment, but check there often.. when they do have a group buy, just tell them you also own a tl...

i think i paid 140 shipped via group buy for the non-plug and play..
it would have cost another 100 for the plugs.. i couldn't justify 100 bucks for cutting and splicing 4 wires.. i went with the cheap route...
does that work with 98-00 with navi because our navis are not dvd based im not technacally enclined but i want to watch dvd through my navi too
Old 02-21-07, 06:35 PM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

thanks everyone.. i'm guessing i will keep the front lip off...i'm tired of worrying about dip and speed bumps...

Originally Posted by milky
yea i saw the two different types..

they claim its hd quality, i doubt that right? haha but hows the picture on it? pretty clear? the install is pretty quick right? just install the unit, and connect it to dvd player/tv tuner?

did you also connect the rear view camera?
it is not hd quality.. no way are they going to be able to be hd quality with this unit.. it's connected to a rca cable.. if they every came out with a composite unit, then i say it is possible... i have a tv tuner, ps2, and a portable divx player.. the ps2 movie playback and game play is decent.. the divx player i have is the Modix HD-3520.. it is capable of 1080i/720p but i don't know of any navi convertors that have the composite connections..

picture quality is mediocre.. i get faint ghosting on my unit, but it seems that some cars will get it no matter what.. the ghosting i see is a faint bleed through of the stock navi on black screens.. i would rate it 8 out of 10 in video quality..

installation was a pain... it took me 5-6 hours... the instructions that they give you is a general one.. i had to figure out what wire was what.. i've installed plenty of aftermarket navi units and other car audio products, but this was not a breeze.. also, the toggle switch to the unit is short.. you will have to extend it.. it took me a while also because i had everything else to install.. (tv tuner, fm modulator, power invertor, ps2, and divx player) i haven't had a chance to install a review camera and i don't know if i really want it.. it will be much easier with the pnp unit.. on a side note: i installed another non-pnp unit in a lexus gx in about an hour and a half.. (only installed the convertor,fm module, and dvd player)

there is another company called coastaletech... they also have a navi convertor for toyota/lexus.. you might want to hit them up for more answers.. krburell, on this forums have installed one of their products..
Old 02-21-07, 06:37 PM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CLEV
does that work with 98-00 with navi because our navis are not dvd based im not technacally enclined but i want to watch dvd through my navi too
yes it is possible.. all lexus navi units are RGB based so it should work, but i don't know if they have a plug and play unit for your car..
Old 02-21-07, 06:46 PM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ECUgs430
nice! I like the white on silver
thanks.. my car color is parchment crystal pearl.. it was only available in 03-04 model years i think..
Old 02-21-07, 07:35 PM
lexoman562
Lead Lap

hey inspiredgs what kind of suspension do u have?? how many inches is it lowered ?
Old 02-21-07, 07:40 PM
sportdsign
Rookie

clean looking car!
Old 02-21-07, 07:51 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lexoman562
hey inspiredgs what kind of suspension do u have?? how many inches is it lowered ?
werd... thats a good question and are those 20's? car looks hott and like everyone else said looks better without the lip...
Old 02-21-07, 08:21 PM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

thanks.. the car is lowered on daizen springs and l-tuned shocks..
the wheels are 20x8.5f 20x10r tsw kyalami
Old 02-21-07, 08:58 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by InspiredGS
thanks everyone.. i'm guessing i will keep the front lip off...i'm tired of worrying about dip and speed bumps...

it is not hd quality.. no way are they going to be able to be hd quality with this unit.. it's connected to a rca cable.. if they every came out with a composite unit, then i say it is possible... i have a tv tuner, ps2, and a portable divx player.. the ps2 movie playback and game play is decent.. the divx player i have is the Modix HD-3520.. it is capable of 1080i/720p but i don't know of any navi convertors that have the composite connections..

picture quality is mediocre.. i get faint ghosting on my unit, but it seems that some cars will get it no matter what.. the ghosting i see is a faint bleed through of the stock navi on black screens.. i would rate it 8 out of 10 in video quality..

installation was a pain... it took me 5-6 hours... the instructions that they give you is a general one.. i had to figure out what wire was what.. i've installed plenty of aftermarket navi units and other car audio products, but this was not a breeze.. also, the toggle switch to the unit is short.. you will have to extend it.. it took me a while also because i had everything else to install.. (tv tuner, fm modulator, power invertor, ps2, and divx player) i haven't had a chance to install a review camera and i don't know if i really want it.. it will be much easier with the pnp unit.. on a side note: i installed another non-pnp unit in a lexus gx in about an hour and a half.. (only installed the convertor,fm module, and dvd player)

there is another company called coastaletech... they also have a navi convertor for toyota/lexus.. you might want to hit them up for more answers.. krburell, on this forums have installed one of their products..

Thanks for the info man, i just emailed them today. they quoted me 250 for the pnp one and 200 for the one where you cut the wires like you have. I might have to wait for the gb for the $140 price that you got!

i'm going to check coastaletech for their nav unit too.. really wanna do it now.
Old 02-22-07, 10:55 AM
SGMh
Rookie

which tv tuner did you go with and how do you like it? I've heard tv tuners for cars don't work very well....thanks
Old 02-22-07, 06:30 PM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

Lookin sweet man. I really like the wheels, they look great at that ride height.
Old 02-23-07, 01:07 AM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

thanks everyone... i hope to get my car up to par with you guys one day...

Originally Posted by pimpin009
which tv tuner did you go with and how do you like it? I've heard tv tuners for cars don't work very well....thanks
Stock Mark Levinson audio plus a list of my audio/video setup:

-Performance Teknique wired fm modulator
-Performance Teknique tv tuner
-Rockford Fosgate diversity antenna (off of an indash unit)
-Rockford Fosgate Punch P2 12 inch sub
-Rockford Fosgate amp kit
-Rockford Fosgate old school amp 200.2
-generic high/low converter
-generic 300watt power inverter
-generic (Pontus, made by Hyundai) 7 inch lcd
-DieHard yellow battery (hate Optimas!)
-Play Station 2
-Modix Divx player
-TVandNav2Go RGB video converter
-Gen 4 Toyota/Lexus Navigation Ecu part #: 86841-50090

I'm not much of a car audio guy nor do I know what is recommended/best.. My setup isn't at all impressive but I like it..

As for the TV tuner, I only got it as a means to having a remote audio/video switch between the PS2 and divx player.. Tv reception is not great, but viewable depending on the location.. VHF reception is not good at all for me in So Cali, however, UHF channels come out relatively clear.. For those in LA/OC counties, channels 9, 11, and 13 are the only VHF signals that are viewable on my setup.
Old 02-23-07, 02:24 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

hey i checked coastaletech's website and it seems that they dont have the lockpick for the GS

Quick Reply: first time posting photos of my car...