GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Roof spoiler adhesive, which one to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 11:57 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lkn4aGS
Btw, I still need help/suggestions/recommendations on what solution to use to remove the current adhesive that's on the roof spoiler right now. Thanks in advance! ! !
I think you bought the L-Sportline from me. I started to remove the adhesive that was on there when I bought it but then I figured the body shop I was going to have paint at would do that. You should be able to use any kind of adhesive remover especially if you plan on repainting it. Also, I planned on attaching it with the 3M industrial tape. I know I asked this same question when I bought it and most folks recommended the 3M stuff. I also remember one of the posters said he had some left over and I sent him some money for it but he never sent the tape . Don't remember the guy but if he is still here on CL, he might as well just send it to you Remember this mounts to the glass not the roof. You need to post up some pics once you get it installed.
Old 02-22-07, 12:05 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I think you bought the L-Sportline from me. I started to remove the adhesive that was on there when I bought it but then I figured the body shop I was going to have paint at would do that. You should be able to use any kind of adhesive remover especially if you plan on repainting it. Also, I planned on attaching it with the 3M industrial tape. I know I asked this same question when I bought it and most folks recommended the 3M stuff. I also remember one of the posters said he had some left over and I sent him some money for it but he never sent the tape . Don't remember the guy but if he is still here on CL, he might as well just send it to you Remember this mounts to the glass not the roof. You need to post up some pics once you get it installed.
Actually he bought it from me. theres like an inch of 3m tape stuck on the spoiler. thats about it. the rest of it is clean and ready to apply adhesive/3m and whatever else.
Old 02-22-07, 12:29 PM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Originally Posted by milky
Actually he bought it from me. theres like an inch of 3m tape stuck on the spoiler. thats about it. the rest of it is clean and ready to apply adhesive/3m and whatever else.
Mike, I also bought his before I bought yours. The one I bought from him will be for a good friend of mine. I just want to make sure that it's really clean for safe measures.
Old 02-22-07, 12:39 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

try goo gone, goof off, or even lighter fluid. It'll remove the tape. Then clean it with rubbing alcohol.

Last edited by mikal; 02-22-07 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 12:48 PM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikal
try goo gone, goof off, or even light fluid. It'll remove the tape. Then clean it with rubbing alcohol.
Will be looking for that as well! ! ! Thanks alot, mikal and everyone who replied to my post of help! ! !
Old 02-22-07, 02:11 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lkn4aGS
Mike, I also bought his before I bought yours. The one I bought from him will be for a good friend of mine. I just want to make sure that it's really clean for safe measures.
ohh gotcha, GL on the install man. it'll look sweet!