GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Roof spoiler adhesive, which one to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 10:34 PM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof spoiler adhesive, which one to use?

Well, I just purchased a used L-Sportline roof spoiler and would like to install it and stuck on there for good. I did a quick search on the type of adhesives people used on installing their roof spoliers and I found several different types from 3m double sided tape, industrial adhesive, polyurethane adhesive and so on. So, which adhesive would serve it's purpose best? Please state brand and where it can be purchased. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK!
Old 02-21-07, 11:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3m works great on mine, removable if you ever want to take it off/sell the car etc...
Old 02-21-07, 11:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

3m industrial double sided adhesive is what most shops use i believe. they are very strong, you should worry about taking it off then it falling off
Old 02-22-07, 12:04 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had 3m on mine but it got stolen. Somebody ripped it off.

Have a replacement sitting in my closet. I would say 3m tape + couple spots of the adhesive
Old 02-22-07, 03:13 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I would rather the adhesive to be not so strong. If someone decides to steal it, yeah it will make it easier for them...but then again your car isn't going to get scratched or dented as badly VS if you used some serious adhesive. It might even rip the paint clean off the metal. My personal choice is to get the part custom molded in and painted at a body shop. That way it all flows with the car as one piece and is harder to notice it's an add-on. Only problem I see is that it's not removable if you ever sell the car, and also the body work is going to cost quite a bit more.
Old 02-22-07, 05:01 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it possible to have a trunk lip spoiler molded? About how much would it cost and what is involved?
Old 02-22-07, 06:54 AM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikal
i had 3m on mine but it got stolen. Somebody ripped it off.

Have a replacement sitting in my closet. I would say 3m tape + couple spots of the adhesive
This is why I'm having second thoughts on using 3m double sided tape on mine though I've considered using 3m tape and using some type of adhesive on a couple of spots for a little more safe measures. . .

THANKS guys and keep them suggestions coming as it's giving me a better idea of what to use.
Old 02-22-07, 07:01 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

Like JeffTsai says, if they steal it , i rather have a nice clean roof instead of damage and repainting...
Old 02-22-07, 07:34 AM
rayy
Lead Lap

WHOA... the only reason that I see anyone stealing a roof spoiler off of a GS is to put it on their own and this kind of makes me mad because if you own a GS(a luxury car), you should have the dignity and pride to appreciate what your peers have added to their cars... I understand stealing ideas of mods but not stealing the actual item of their car and put it on your own. Who ever stole that roof spoiler doesn't deserve a GS!! (that is if they have one)
Old 02-22-07, 08:34 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I agree!

Originally Posted by rayy
WHOA... the only reason that I see anyone stealing a roof spoiler off of a GS is to put it on their own and this kind of makes me mad because if you own a GS(a luxury car), you should have the dignity and pride to appreciate what your peers have added to their cars... I understand stealing ideas of mods but not stealing the actual item of their car and put it on your own. Who ever stole that roof spoiler doesn't deserve a GS!! (that is if they have one)

I concurr! (3M adhesive for application! Let a body shop do it if your not sure?)
Old 02-22-07, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I would rather the adhesive to be not so strong. If someone decides to steal it, yeah it will make it easier for them...but then again your car isn't going to get scratched or dented as badly VS if you used some serious adhesive. It might even rip the paint clean off the metal. My personal choice is to get the part custom molded in and painted at a body shop. That way it all flows with the car as one piece and is harder to notice it's an add-on. Only problem I see is that it's not removable if you ever sell the car, and also the body work is going to cost quite a bit more.
lol, i was thinking, does that mean we shouldn't put too many wheel locks or at least not as a "too secured" wheel locks, so if someone wants to steal the wheels, they won't have to do a lot of damaged to the car (or maybe take the whole thing away)?
Old 02-22-07, 09:50 AM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wringo
I concurr! (3M adhesive for application! Let a body shop do it if your not sure?)
Installation is pretty straight forward, just wanting a piece of mind is all. I guess what I'm goin' to do is use 3M adhesive and use industrial adhesive where it won't affect or go on the painted area. Time to go to Home Depot after work and buy some adhesives! ! ! THANKS ALOT everyone! ! !
Old 02-22-07, 10:57 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

For the L-Sportline roof spoiler, it wont rip any paint off since it's stuck to the glass. A strong adhesive should be fine.
Old 02-22-07, 11:12 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

Glad to help you out, and thanks to ur CL brothers too
Put a GPS tracking on it, if it gets stolen....haha j/p
Old 02-22-07, 11:12 AM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Btw, I still need help/suggestions/recommendations on what solution to use to remove the current adhesive that's on the roof spoiler right now. Thanks in advance! ! !

Quick Reply: Roof spoiler adhesive, which one to use?