GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bumper hit AGAIN!!!... on the same side

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 09:28 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper hit AGAIN!!!... on the same side

so i got home yesterday late and parked my car by my apartment in nolita. i was thinking i got lucky since i was able to find a spot with no alternate side street cleaning rules on tuesday or a meter....

but guess what? some idiot hit my bumper on the same corner that was hit and run in august 2006. there was no quarter panel damage this time around and the bumper was not dented but the paint flaked off! I AM LIVID.... how the @#*% do people drive?!?! i now have to spend another $300 at the least to repaint it all over again.

i'll put pictures up tomorrow after i get back from ct.

also, the paint flaked off instead of staying on the bumper... is that a sign of a bad paint job??? keep in mind that my bumper was repainted in september 2006.

thanks all... just wanted to vent.
Old 02-27-07, 09:42 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

That sucks!
If you don't have a garage parking and can live with it, I wouldn't paint it again.
My opinion
Old 02-28-07, 12:55 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how big is the damage?
Old 02-28-07, 02:39 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry man, my mother purchased an 430 with 29k on it a few months back. Some woman in a parking lot backed straight into it and cracked the bumper all the way across and remove most of the paint as well, then just drove away. Luckily someone saw the whole thing happen and got the tag number. Police cited her for hit and run and also for a medical examination as she claims "I didn't even notice I hit the car". Mind you this was hard enough to crack the bumper, take all the paint off etc... So.. I have been calling her for over a week leaving messages and guess what? She won't answer or return my call for insurance info. Some people deserve to get a swift kick in the ***.
Old 02-28-07, 02:59 AM
chinkster
Lead Lap

some people just dont care. at work i saw a brand new honda accord just bump his way out of a tight parking spot. hitting the front car, then the back, then the front, then the back, and so on until he got out. i saw the whole thing. his car was new and the other cars were old. maybe his car was a lease or something but damn he didn't give two ******'s about the other cars.

ps. my car just got hit like a month back. lucky it was my neighbor. he didn't tell me but when i went out and saw how tight of a fit it was, i immediately checked my bumper and guess what? he hit my bumper 3 times with a TOW HOOK! i could still see the paint scraped off from my bumper on the tow hook. lucky i caught him and showed him everything and he is willing to pay for new paint. didn't mean to high jack your thread but thats my experience.
Old 02-28-07, 05:26 AM
rayy
Lead Lap

The same thing happened to my sister's ES. Some idiot tried to parrallel park behind my sister and turned in too soon, scrapping along the corner side of her rear bumper. The damage was pretty bad, the paint scraped of all the way down to the plastic. I think the idiot gas it up after the resistance from the bumper.
Old 02-28-07, 06:49 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I had mine repainted twice last Fall, because of people who dont know how to park. Dont you hate NY?
Old 02-28-07, 07:24 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup... the majority of idiots in NYC do not know how to park. A couple of months ago someone decided to do the same thing and left partial imprint of their license plate on my bumper He's lucky i could only make out 3 of the 7 letters. Plus I two nice bolt marks on the top from the license plate holder...

thats why I'm investing in this...
http://www.bumperpad.com/

or if your not feeling that maybe you should look into this...
http://www.eurobumperguard.com/Bumper_Guards.html
Old 02-28-07, 08:30 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSoup
Yup... the majority of idiots in NYC do not know how to park. A couple of months ago someone decided to do the same thing and left partial imprint of their license plate on my bumper He's lucky i could only make out 3 of the 7 letters. Plus I two nice bolt marks on the top from the license plate holder...

Haha............Ive never seen anything like this before! The streets here arent crowded enough to justify something like this but in nyc I could understand. I dont even know how yall drive at all there. (Im a frequent visitor)

I also have a similar story. Last year I returned to my car after class and watched a jeep parallel park in the space in front of me as I walked. I was a little nervous watching her park her suv from a head on view. As I got closer to my car and unlocked it, she pulled out of the space and left. I really didnt think anything of it until I got up close and saw that there was a nice scrape on the corner of the front bumper. I knew it was her but by that time she was long gone.
Old 02-28-07, 09:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to keep your car pretty in NYC, never park it in the street. Monthly parking if you live in an apartment is an option.. If you must park it in the street, the best bet is to park in between two driveways. Thank goodness I don't have any scratches or nicks on my bumpers I would be upset just like you. I bought a pair of those cusion bumperpads years ago for my Acura CL..Still sitting in my garage. It can't fit the GS, but may fit on an IS, SC or smaller car.. I can sell it to anyone who is interested for cheap.. PM me if interested
Old 02-28-07, 09:49 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great idea. Never seen anything like this. So simple. Great $49 investment against idiots that just don't care. One thing though, I wonder how it would fit with a body kit. I guess it would depend on the kit, huh?
-Will
Old 02-28-07, 12:38 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

hey gsoup,

i've looked into the bumper pad thing already. i actually had one shipped to my house only to return it. you can only use that thing indoors and cannot really get it wet. so using it while parked on a street is pretty much a no go. i did get the bumper badger though but that doesn't protect the corners though...

Old 02-28-07, 12:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
hey gsoup,

i've looked into the bumper pad thing already. i actually had one shipped to my house only to return it. you can only use that thing indoors and cannot really get it wet. so using it while parked on a street is pretty much a no go. i did get the bumper badger though but that doesn't protect the corners though...
In addition, it will be stolen on NYC streets in a hot NY minute as it is only held in place with straps that clip in the wheel well behind the bumper. I used mine for indoor parking lots only.
Old 02-28-07, 01:14 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

thats hidious.... do you just put that on when you park or do you leave it on... what if your inna rush? i say move out of New York... like i did
Old 02-28-07, 04:50 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Great idea. Never seen anything like this. So simple. Great $49 investment against idiots that just don't care. One thing though, I wonder how it would fit with a body kit. I guess it would depend on the kit, huh?
-Will
It has adjustable straps and it hooks up via the wheel well. So it should work.

Originally Posted by Aristo6
thats hidious.... do you just put that on when you park or do you leave it on... what if your inna rush? i say move out of New York... like i did
hey your entitled to your opinion. I see it more of function over fashion.

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
hey gsoup,

Loco... You could spray it with Blue Magic Tectron Wet Guard and that will make it water resistant. Also contains UV sunscreen.

I hate seeing that bumper badger thing..LOL it looks like a door mat hanging out your trunk.. I always thought that it was a flawed product because it only covers the middle of the bumper.

Allegedly a guy from Brooklyn invented that by the way. He was fed up with the same issue we're talking about now.

For those who don't have a clue what we're talking about..

Quick Reply: Bumper hit AGAIN!!!... on the same side