GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Side marker DIY install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 07:45 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side marker DIY install?

Does anyone know where I can find a complete write up for the side marker DIY? I found this http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY...ide/index.html but it's not very useful because he doesn't really explain the steps. I was just wondering, should you force the reflector out from the inside or do you have to pry it out at the same time or what. I dont want to mess anything up since I'm a nooby at DIY's. Any ideas would really help a lot. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-07, 07:55 PM
Metlupass2
Driver

That guy spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME and effort doing it that way. All you have do do is remove the fog lights, which are held in with 2 screws. Then just stick your hand in there and you unbolt the nuts holding the side marker in with a socket wrench. I don't remember what size, but they're small. You just have to stick your wrench in there and feel for them since you can't see. It should take you no more than 10 minutes for both sides. I did mine and it was really easy.

Goodluck!
Old 03-01-07, 08:02 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

here's the only tool you will ever need...

All jokes aside there are several write ups regarding this. Please utilize the search function before creathing a thread. Thanks.

Last edited by GSoup; 03-01-07 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-01-07, 10:02 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSoup
here's the only tool you will ever need...

All jokes aside there are several write ups regarding this. Please utilize the search function before creathing a thread. Thanks.
Yeah I looked... I couldn't find any good info on it. If I could, I prefer not to waste people's time.
Old 03-01-07, 10:33 PM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing needs to be forced. Just remove the single screw that is holding the fender lining and pull it back. Stick your hand in there and you can feel the nuts on the back of the light. Remove those nuts (two on each light) and the sidemarker will pop right out. Nothing much to it.
Old 03-01-07, 10:56 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I do it a different way. Just remove both foglights. Stick your hand into the foglight hole and you should be able to feel the sidemarkers inside the bumpers. Just take a 10mm wrench and remove the bolts. Rotate the connector and the bulb will come out. Reinstall everything in reverse order. Good luck!
Old 03-02-07, 07:04 AM
rayy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by audax
Nothing needs to be forced. Just remove the single screw that is holding the fender lining and pull it back. Stick your hand in there and you can feel the nuts on the back of the light. Remove those nuts (two on each light) and the sidemarker will pop right out. Nothing much to it.
Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I do it a different way. Just remove both foglights. Stick your hand into the foglight hole and you should be able to feel the sidemarkers inside the bumpers. Just take a 10mm wrench and remove the bolts. Rotate the connector and the bulb will come out. Reinstall everything in reverse order. Good luck!
Thanks guys, this was the info that I really needed because just the pictures don't really help from that guy's DIY site. I really did try to search it before I posted a thread, I just couldn't find anything as useful as the info I got.
Old 03-02-07, 07:04 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rayy
Yeah I looked... I couldn't find any good info on it. If I could, I prefer not to waste people's time.
Ok..cool at least you tried.. BananaGS went through the wheel well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rs+install+diy

1. Your going to need an 10 mm socket or open end wrench.
2. Remove the foglight
3. stick your hand in and feel for the 2 nuts on the side marker. One on each side.
4. Just remove the nuts and pop it out or it will fall out.
5. disconnect bulb.
6. clean area where sidemarker was at (why not...)
7 connect bulb to new sidemarker.
8. Just do the reverse of removal.

Should take you about 15 mins max. Very simple to do.
Old 03-02-07, 07:05 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sidemakers?

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yep, real easy install!
Old 03-02-07, 08:57 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

took me 1 min to do each side. went through the fender well the first time and took forever coz i didnt want to break anything and was very very very careful; 2nd time went through the fogs. trust me, go through the fogs-2 min's tops and your done.
Old 03-02-07, 12:00 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Going through the Fogs is the easiest way, there's 2 10mm bolts that per side, you can basically feel for it and take them out with a help of a wrench to loosen... passenger side might be a lil bit more difficult due to less room to reach in...
Old 03-02-07, 12:58 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

fogs, fogs, fogs. SOO FAST!
Old 03-02-07, 03:05 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
took me 1 min to do each side. went through the fender well the first time and took forever coz i didnt want to break anything and was very very very careful; 2nd time went through the fogs. trust me, go through the fogs-2 min's tops and your done.
Originally Posted by o2GS43o
Going through the Fogs is the easiest way, there's 2 10mm bolts that per side, you can basically feel for it and take them out with a help of a wrench to loosen... passenger side might be a lil bit more difficult due to less room to reach in...
Originally Posted by milky
fogs, fogs, fogs. SOO FAST!
lol i guess i'm going to go through the fogs... we'll see how it goes on sunday when i have the time. thank again for all the advice guys!