GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Slow Start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 06:35 PM
bzyrice
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Start?

So my girl just got an 01 gs and we noticed that the car was slow to start.. sounded like the battery was dying.. so went to local autozone and had them test the battery/alternator/starter.. all checked out ok and were within specs..

So the guy said that the corrision around the terminals might be whats doing it.. So went ahead and cleaned it.. used this special cleaner.. and used this lubricant to make the connection better...

and car still starts slow.. like if the battery was dying..

anyone experience this?

Thanks!
RJ
Old 03-06-07, 06:41 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the battery anyway? Never hurts. OR you may your starter going. Pretty common thing on the 2GS'
Old 03-06-07, 11:18 PM
bzyrice
Driver

Originally Posted by bighitbike
Replace the battery anyway? Never hurts. OR you may your starter going. Pretty common thing on the 2GS'
i was looking for a more cost effective approach.. lol .. thanks!
Old 03-07-07, 12:59 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2GS batteries are known to go bad, so that may be causing the problem. if thats not the case, then yes its probably your starter
Old 03-07-07, 02:46 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean slow to start as meaning 'slow turn-over speed of starter motor' or 'long time for engine to start'?

If its the speed of your starter thats slow, I had the same problem. I replaced the 12V 60Ah battery with a 12V 70Ah battery and the starter now spins at nearly twice the old battery speeds! Engine used to start after a 4 second crank, now its 1-2 secs.

Batteries need to be replaced 5-10 years depending on condition.
Old 03-07-07, 02:11 PM
bzyrice
Driver

Originally Posted by gs-ireland
Do you mean slow to start as meaning 'slow turn-over speed of starter motor' or 'long time for engine to start'?

If its the speed of your starter thats slow, I had the same problem. I replaced the 12V 60Ah battery with a 12V 70Ah battery and the starter now spins at nearly twice the old battery speeds! Engine used to start after a 4 second crank, now its 1-2 secs.

Batteries need to be replaced 5-10 years depending on condition.
it just seems like it takes awhile for the car to start.. so to answer your question in your words "'slow turn-over speed of starter motor' "

ooh.. im gonna check the battery .. the battery might be fine, but maybe just the wrong Ah. What is that anyways (Ah)? Amps?
Old 03-07-07, 09:23 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bzyrice
So my girl just got an 01 gs and we noticed that the car was slow to start.. sounded like the battery was dying.. so went to local autozone and had them test the battery/alternator/starter.. all checked out ok and were within specs..

So the guy said that the corrision around the terminals might be whats doing it.. So went ahead and cleaned it.. used this special cleaner.. and used this lubricant to make the connection better...

and car still starts slow.. like if the battery was dying..

anyone experience this?

Thanks!
RJ
that will cause it to turn over slowly...u should never use any type of grease between battery and harness terminals...as for autozone checkin the better please be aware of CCA measured...they use a midtronics tester that should give them a reading...if you dont want to go though all that...just replace the bettery

and who ever said typical battery life is 5-10 years maybe for a optima...but for the flat plate batteries give it 3-5 average...closer to 3-4 on areas with both extream climates
Old 03-08-07, 05:54 PM
bzyrice
Driver

Originally Posted by koolaidman
that will cause it to turn over slowly...u should never use any type of grease between battery and harness terminals...as for autozone checkin the better please be aware of CCA measured...they use a midtronics tester that should give them a reading...if you dont want to go though all that...just replace the bettery

and who ever said typical battery life is 5-10 years maybe for a optima...but for the flat plate batteries give it 3-5 average...closer to 3-4 on areas with both extream climates
the lubricant that I purchased said it was for beter battery connection and o keep them from corrosion? hmm.. it is starting exactly how it was starting prior to me cleaning and putting that. I think i am going to go back to Autozone and have someone else test it. The guy that was testing didn't seem sure of himself. lol

I looked at the battery and it is a Lexus battery. I checked the maintenance records and it was changed around 50k. it is now at 95k. So I am pretty sure it needs a new battery. I also tried to see if it was a 60ah or 70ah battery.. but nothing on the battery says that. Just wondeirng how u know?

thanks for all your help!!