GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Deer Found Infront Of Headlights!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 10:54 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Deer Found Infront Of Headlights!!

Guys this is terrible, I was getting ready to post some pics of my gs after it came from the bodyshop this past sunday and after two days I cleaned it up and shined it and a very bad incident happend, I was on the freeway going to Nashville(TN) going at 80 or 85mph and on the way I hit a DEER!! THIS GIANT A$$ DEAR COMES OUT OF NO WHERE AND DOES NOT SEE MY CAR AND DECIDED TO CROSS THE FREEWAY!! my left fender,door, rear door, and front hood all dented up very bad, deer shattered my windshield and his body took of my sideview mirror (that had the blinkers on it)

well here is my problem, I am trying to strip the car as much as I can before the insurance guy comes with his check book to my door that is this FRIDAY! I am trying to take of the wheels that are the stock 17" chrome and put the 16" alloy ones back on! So i need HELP!! I have misplaced my key to the wheellocks and need to get one asap! where can i get the wheel lock key for the rims and shipped or whatever by FRIDAY!! i will get it overnighted if needed. The car is not in drivable condition so I can't take it anywhere!

I will post some pics of the car later on tonight. It is a horrible sight!
Old 03-07-07, 12:07 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow man thats crazy. You should be able to go up to your local lexus dealer to buy replacement lock/keys. As long as the ones on your car right now are the original ones and not aftermarket. So are you planning to get another GS if this one is totaled by the insurance company?
Old 03-07-07, 12:59 PM
mistamista
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wheel locks you're talking about...Are they Lexus or another brand? If they are Lexus there are several different keys. You can also get the same ones at any Toyota dealership (Thats what i had to do). The only issue is that they have a ring with all the different key locks on it (I believe there are about 15 different ones). If you tell them your story they may allow you to borrow them.

You may have also received a card with your vehicle with the key lock code on it (May be in your glove compartment). If so you can get the info from that and give it to the Lexus/Toyota dealership.
Old 03-07-07, 01:30 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Put on a slightly oversized socket on the lock so it will have to be hammered on with a hammer (needs to fit tight), and use a ratchet to take it off. When you get the lock off, just put it on the ground and pound it with the hammer to get the socket off. Repeat 3 more times and your done.
Old 03-07-07, 01:41 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there are several different keys for lexus wheel locks. My friend lost his, but the dealer was able to take it off using 1 of maybe 12-15 keys?

In your case, if you arent able to drive your car to the dealer, you can ask to borrow all their keys (unlikely to happen), or you can just break off the lock.

Good luck, and glad you made it out safe.
Old 03-07-07, 02:13 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Why would you need to switch rims, if they are damage leave them on, OEM rims are pretty expensive...

Last edited by TYPEII; 03-08-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 02:31 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like he had two set of oem's
Old 03-07-07, 03:08 PM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

if you cannot find your wheel lock key you can go to a normal wheel shop such as a discount tire or whatever is around you.. i had the same problem with an aftermarket locking lug nut and they were able to get it off and replaced for $10
Old 03-07-07, 06:52 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrkenji
if you cannot find your wheel lock key you can go to a normal wheel shop such as a discount tire or whatever is around you.. i had the same problem with an aftermarket locking lug nut and they were able to get it off and replaced for $10
I agree, but he said the car won't drive.
Old 03-07-07, 07:35 PM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

yah then take a larger socket and hammer it onto the lock and then take it off like normal.. you may have to replace the socket afterwards if you messed up the "teeth" in it.

good luck
Old 03-07-07, 07:47 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you're ok...

GS: 1
Deer: 0

Let's see some pics!
Old 03-07-07, 07:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I can imagine how bad that feels I was about 2-3 feet from hitting one many years ago in darkness when one suddenly jumped across my path ...
Old 03-07-07, 08:07 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

glad to hear your ok about the wheel lock... i dont know what to tell you unless you buy 1 of each of the wheel locks and try all till you find it then return the rest when you get the wheels off??? lets see some pics! was it one of those stare at the headlights type moments?
Old 03-08-07, 12:35 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys still tyring to find my usb cable for my phone and as soon as i can get a hold of it I will post pictures, it is a very emotional site so try not to cry!
Old 03-08-07, 03:03 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

here are some of the pics I took!
Attached Thumbnails Deer Found Infront Of Headlights!!-dsc00334.jpg  

Quick Reply: Deer Found Infront Of Headlights!!