GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone Using An Anti-Theft Device Besides Car Alarms

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 08:21 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Using An Anti-Theft Device Besides Car Alarms

Guys, a thief slim-jimmed his way into my co-workers Honda Civic and tried to steal the car. He had no alarm but a steel device that's attached to the brake pedal which prevents the pedal from being depressed. Anyways the thief was not successful and ending breaking a piece of the metal. He definitley wanted the car cuz nothing else was taken. As cheap looking this thing was, it did the job. This is not a kind that attaches to steering wheel. Even though I have a Viper alarm installed, do you think that I should spend fifty-something dollars just for the added piece of mind? BTW, not interested in Lojack.
Old 03-11-07, 10:01 AM
David1969
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd let them steal my car and wait for the car to be recovered. In my other car, i had a fuel-pump cutoff that was activated every time my car was off and left unattended at work or on small runs. It took 1 second to deactivate and was alot better than any device. This is why: I'd rather let the thief get in the car and run out of gas a few miles up the road instead of me walking out and confronting them in the act of stealing the car.

I haven't done this on the Lexus yet, but plan to real soon. You should be able to have one installed relatively cheap and it's a simple install, if you know what you're doing. If you don't, do NOT try it yourself. Just have someone install it. It's cheap peace of mind. Plus if you want the car recovered fairly quickly & easily, go with Lo Jack.
Old 03-11-07, 11:34 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by David1969
I'd let them steal my car and wait for the car to be recovered. In my other car, i had a fuel-pump cutoff that was activated every time my car was off and left unattended at work or on small runs. It took 1 second to deactivate and was alot better than any device. This is why: I'd rather let the thief get in the car and run out of gas a few miles up the road instead of me walking out and confronting them in the act of stealing the car.

I haven't done this on the Lexus yet, but plan to real soon. You should be able to have one installed relatively cheap and it's a simple install, if you know what you're doing. If you don't, do NOT try it yourself. Just have someone install it. It's cheap peace of mind. Plus if you want the car recovered fairly quickly & easily, go with Lo Jack.

i'm not sure this is a good thing. i knew someone who had this in his civic, and his car was stolen from the front of his house. it was recovered 4 blocks away after the fuel cutoff caused the engine to stall and the thief lost power assist to the brakes and rear ended an innocent motorist. the thief ran off and was eventually captured (some sort of meth addict), but the motorist tried unsucessfully to sue my friend for her injuries and loss of her vehicle (she was underinsured)... a messy 3 year court battle
Old 03-11-07, 05:38 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

lol What you're talking is the "auto-lock." I have that too... It really does work. I tried to steal my own car once just to make sure it did. The way you put it, it sounded like something small. I have the "auto-lock" in addition to my Compustar two way pager alarm. I had the auto-lock from another car so it's not like I spent the money after I bought the two way pager. $50 just make sure the **** doesn't get your car... is a deal I think. Well, I hope this helps.
Old 03-11-07, 05:52 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

If $50 buys you additional peace of mind, go for it. The more time consuming it is to take your ride the better. But I'm sure you've heard about those tow trucks used for vehicle theft - they just scoop up your ride, then work in the comfort and privacy of their shop.
Old 03-12-07, 06:51 AM
Tranman

The bottom line is that if someone REALLY wants your car, they'll get it. Just make sure your insurance covers your modifications and the such.
Old 03-12-07, 07:39 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RacerLex
If $50 buys you additional peace of mind, go for it. The more time consuming it is to take your ride the better. But I'm sure you've heard about those tow trucks used for vehicle theft - they just scoop up your ride, then work in the comfort and privacy of their shop.
Yeah I'll probably go for it, but your right about the tow truck thing. Really messed up that someone can just scoop it up easily.
Old 03-12-07, 09:56 AM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by David1969

this is what clifford's BLACKJAX does