GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

It has been great. Thank you all.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07 | 05:02 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Default It has been great. Thank you all.

While I will still come back for an occasional visit, I feel like I am no longer a member of the "club". I sold my last Lexus yesterday.

I have contributed a lot and have received a lot from this forum. My wife and I both had a Lexus GS 300, mine 2002, hers 1998. When I got mine, she was so jealous, she hounded me until I bought her one. I found the car a bit cramped on vacation but for the 99% of the other times, the car was a dream. My wife talked me into getting her another car this year when I started shopping for another for me. She wanted a Nissan Murano. I view this as a downgrade from a Lexus but it is what she wanted. Multimedia upgrades? Forget it. It cannot be done in a Murano period. I started shopping for me because I purchased an established cabinet shop last year and the GS is not suitable for cabinet shop work as you can imagine. The process of shopping was very difficult. I really wanted a Yukon Denali but I am no longer fond of domestic vehicles and their poor quality and reliability. Domestic vehicles seem to be all about flash but they don't last. I knew I wanted an SUV so by chance I drove many Nissan vehicles. The Murano was the only one that had enough room besides the Armada. This is how we ended up with the Murano. The Armada has a terrible blocked out area where the side rear view mirrors are. The mirror and pillar area is huge. I found this totally unacceptable and the Armada has had reliability problems according to Consumer Reports. The natural thing to do was to try a 4 Runner, Highlander or Sequoia. Of course I could have tried the LX 470 but I did not want to pay that much for a vehicle and my customers might think I was overcharging them if I was driving a Lexus SUV. I was not going to buy until I did drive the Toyota SUVs. With everything else ruled out, I did drive a Sequoia and decided that was my vehicle. Now I had to find the right one. Searching high and low I found mine on ebay at a dealership near me. The pics on ebay did not do it justice. It looked so much better in person. I just could not believe the price. This 2004 was the same price as 2003 models with 25000 more miles. Then I found out why. It did not come with the 3rd row seats so most buyers turned it down. Well this was perfect for me. I was going to have to store the seats anyway to make room for tools and other items related to assisting my employees with cabinet work. I love my new Sequoia. The ride is great, the power is perfect and it is the same Toyota quality as the Lexus. Many Sequoia owners complain about the 4.7 liter V8 but I find the size to be perfect for the economy for most of my driving yet V8 power when I need that too.

Now I have to start from scratch modding again. On my Lexus, I put a spoiler, remote start (a major p.i.t.a.), 6 disc DVD changer and in dash double din head unit, black emblems, a Pen Tablet on a custom mount for Navigation and surfing, Polk Audio speakers in all 4 doors, 2 amps and 2 capacitors and heavy 12 gauge speaker wires. The Sequoia does not have a good place for a subwoofer and I am not about to take up my precious cargo space with a speaker box. This is the only disappointment I have with the Sequoia. I do plan to put in a double din DVD head unit, remote start and new speakers, front window tint and another pen tablet (I sold the Lexus with the Pen Tablet). The Sequoia already has the rear spoiler.

For those that want to know about the car values, I purchased my wife's 1998 GS 300 in November of 2005 from an ebay seller for $10,500 with 96k miles and sold it in January 2007 on the side of the road with only advertising on ebay for $10,000. Not really bad on that deal but we did spend $1500 on an extended warranty that was transferrable and another $1800 on the Lexus 90k mile service. I purchased my 2002 GS 300 with 37k miles in October of 2005 for $27,000, put in the aforementioned upgrades and took a bath on it selling it locally on cars.com for $18,000 with 62k miles. The car was paid for and I was trying to get enough to pay off the Sequoia which I did but just barely. I intended to keep my GS for quite a while but my situation changed so now I hope to keep the Sequoia for a while.

If you want to buy a car, ebay is the best. You will get the best deal. It is the worst place to sell a car. I got offers from people to by my 02 for $5000. Get real people. What a joke. Side of the road is best for sales under $12,000. Cars.com or a local car classified is best for the more expensive models like the Lexus.

I have made PDF guides for many of my mods that I have willingly passed on to others and have made MDF speaker "baffles" (adapters) for aftermarket speakers for other clublexus.com members so I feel like I have put in at least as much as I have received in advice and guidance from other members. The only thing I ever wanted but did not get was a clublexus.com window decal. My favorite post is the hidden or unknown features of the Lexus GS. They thought of so many things to put in the car you did not even know you needed them but are glad they were included. The fellowship on this forum has been for the most part very much like the car itself. Very classy, tactful, refined and above the rest but without a condescending attitude. I hope the forum for the Sequoia will be as nice but I don't expect the refinement of Lexus owners. So far my visits there have been great.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and input. Many of your posts were so helpful just to read even if I did not ask the question. Many questions I never thought of were answered.

Last edited by Exsys2000; 03-16-07 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-16-07 | 05:53 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Once a lexus owner, always a lexus owner...you'll be back!
Old 03-16-07 | 05:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Best of luck with your cabinet shop and new Toyota, pop in from time to time of course
Old 03-16-07 | 05:58 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

I read half of what you wrote... sorry I'm a college student. lol Sorry to hear you go... like bighitbike said... you'll be back
Old 03-16-07 | 06:08 PM
BAD RIDES

Originally Posted by Exsys2000
While I will still come back for an occasional visit, I feel like I am no longer a member of the "club". I sold my last Lexus yesterday.

I have contributed a lot and have received a lot from this forum. My wife and I both had a Lexus GS 300, mine 2002, hers 1998. When I got mine, she was so jealous, she hounded me until I bought her one. I found the car a bit cramped on vacation but for the 99% of the other times, the car was a dream. My wife talked me into getting her another car this year when I started shopping for another for me. She wanted a Nissan Murano. I view this as a downgrade from a Lexus but it is what she wanted. Multimedia upgrades? Forget it. It cannot be done in a Murano period. I started shopping for me because I purchased an established cabinet shop last year and the GS is not suitable for cabinet shop work as you can imagine. The process of shopping was very difficult. I really wanted a Yukon Denali but I am no longer fond of domestic vehicles and their poor quality and reliability. Domestic vehicles seem to be all about flash but they don't last. I knew I wanted an SUV so by chance I drove many Nissan vehicles. The Murano was the only one that had enough room besides the Armada. This is how we ended up with the Murano. The Armada has a terrible blocked out area where the side rear view mirrors are. The mirror and pillar area is huge. I found this totally unacceptable and the Armada has had reliability problems according to Consumer Reports. The natural thing to do was to try a 4 Runner, Highlander or Sequoia. Of course I could have tried the LX 470 but I did not want to pay that much for a vehicle and my customers might think I was overcharging them if I was driving a Lexus SUV. I was not going to buy until I did drive the Toyota SUVs. With everything else ruled out, I did drive a Sequoia and decided that was my vehicle. Now I had to find the right one. Searching high and low I found mine on ebay at a dealership near me. The pics on ebay did not do it justice. It looked so much better in person. I just could not believe the price. This 2004 was the same price as 2003 models with 25000 more miles. Then I found out why. It did not come with the 3rd row seats so most buyers turned it down. Well this was perfect for me. I was going to have to store the seats anyway to make room for tools and other items related to assisting my employees with cabinet work. I love my new Sequoia. The ride is great, the power is perfect and it is the same Toyota quality as the Lexus. Many Sequoia owners complain about the 4.7 liter V8 but I find the size to be perfect for the economy for most of my driving yet V8 power when I need that too.

Now I have to start from scratch modding again. On my Lexus, I put a spoiler, remote start (a major p.i.t.a.), 6 disc DVD changer and in dash double din head unit, black emblems, a Pen Tablet on a custom mount for Navigation and surfing, Polk Audio speakers in all 4 doors, 2 amps and 2 capacitors and heavy 12 gauge speaker wires. The Sequoia does not have a good place for a subwoofer and I am not about to take up my precious cargo space with a speaker box. This is the only disappointment I have with the Sequoia. I do plan to put in a double din DVD head unit, remote start and new speakers, front window tint and another pen tablet (I sold the Lexus with the Pen Tablet). The Sequoia already has the rear spoiler.

For those that want to know about the car values, I purchased my wife's 1998 GS 300 in November of 2005 from an ebay seller for $10,500 with 96k miles and sold it in January 2007 on the side of the road with only advertising on ebay for $10,000. Not really bad on that deal but we did spend $1500 on an extended warranty that was transferrable and another $1800 on the Lexus 90k mile service. I purchased my 2002 GS 300 with 37k miles in October of 2005 for $27,000, put in the aforementioned upgrades and took a bath on it selling it locally on cars.com for $18,000 with 62k miles. The car was paid for and I was trying to get enough to pay off the Sequoia which I did but just barely. I intended to keep my GS for quite a while but my situation changed so now I hope to keep the Sequoia for a while.

If you want to buy a car, ebay is the best. You will get the best deal. It is the worst place to sell a car. I got offers from people to by my 02 for $5000. Get real people. What a joke. Side of the road is best for sales under $12,000. Cars.com or a local car classified is best for the more expensive models like the Lexus.

I have made PDF guides for many of my mods that I have willingly passed on to others and have made MDF speaker "baffles" (adapters) for aftermarket speakers for other clublexus.com members so I feel like I have put in at least as much as I have received in advice and guidance from other members. The only thing I ever wanted but did not get was a clublexus.com window decal. My favorite post is the hidden or unknown features of the Lexus GS. They thought of so many things to put in the car you did not even know you needed them but are glad they were included. The fellowship on this forum has been for the most part very much like the car itself. Very classy, tactful, refined and above the rest but without a condescending attitude. I hope the forum for the Sequoia will be as nice but I don't expect the refinement of Lexus owners. So far my visits there have been great.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and input. Many of your posts were so helpful just to read even if I did not ask the question. Many questions I never thought of were answered.

consumer report took the report from 2004 armada and besides plus the armada looks so much tougher the sequio looks like a 2002 expedition and has no go !!!! the mada has 310 horses vs sequio at 240 horses I found it really slow when I test drove it plus new sequio with new tunndra v-8 will be hot next year I personally own my armada 2 yearS now and I havent had not one problem but you did good with toyota but you should becarefull with consumer reports I have personally bought stuff they recomended and was very dissapionted but i wish you luck with new truck here is my big toy
Old 03-16-07 | 06:12 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

well your still in the family with the toyota good luck with your cabnet shop and i have a feeling youll get another lex in the future
Old 03-16-07 | 06:39 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Good luck with your cabinet shop. If you didn't live in Louisiana I'm about to put some cabinets in my garage. Good Luck dog.
Old 03-16-07 | 07:07 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Best of luck with your business!
Old 03-16-07 | 07:34 PM
olddog
Pole Position

hey can you make me some speaker baffles, i need some
let me know please
Old 03-17-07 | 12:08 AM
noop
Instructor

Goodluck with your business and new truck. Again thanks for the help with the audio installation pdf.
Old 03-22-07 | 10:38 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Originally Posted by olddog
hey can you make me some speaker baffles, i need some
let me know please
I can, I just don't know when. Just when I feel like I get caught up with my priority tasks, "they keep pulling be back in" (Godfather III). I had a neat setup where I had a template that I traced with a router for uniformity. What do you need? Front or rear or both? PM me and if you don't mind a little wait, I will make you some.
Old 03-23-07 | 06:35 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default speaker baffles

Originally Posted by Exsys2000
I can, I just don't know when. Just when I feel like I get caught up with my priority tasks, "they keep pulling be back in" (Godfather III). I had a neat setup where I had a template that I traced with a router for uniformity. What do you need? Front or rear or both? PM me and if you don't mind a little wait, I will make you some.
my prayers have been answered
thanks alot.
please check your pm
Old 03-23-07 | 06:50 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Good luck