GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

i have a leak =(

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 11:18 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a leak =(

well i was changing my oil today and i noticed that i have a leak i believe its from my coolant because thats the only fluid thats low.

im assuming its the water pump? i took off the mud guard and noticed that the one of the pulleys is leaking. if u were facing the car head on its the pulley bottom right on the serpantine belt (sp?)

can someone confirm if thats the water pump on a g300 for me.
Old 03-22-07, 11:24 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

oops nevermind thats not the waterpump
Old 03-22-07, 11:29 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What color is the fluid?

What does it smell like?

the pulley itself cant be leaking, it has to be something around it which is leaking and spilling on top of the pulley. try to follow the wet spots or stains to the source.
Old 03-22-07, 11:41 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

well the pulley thats leaking is directly under the PS reservoir/pump. from what i can see the PS pump isnt the the problem because the fluid leaking is clearish/yellow, and its leaked so much but my PS reservoir is still full. also, isnt the PS fluid just toyota ATF type 4 so that should make it a reddish color.

also i have smelt the oil it does not really smell like anything and it doesnt have a burn smell either
Old 03-22-07, 11:56 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

humm if its clear/yellow I would think its coolant also, maybe one of the lines is cracked.
Old 03-22-07, 12:35 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joshoowa
well i was changing my oil today and i noticed that i have a leak
Did you change your motor oil to synthetic? If so, synthetic motor oil does not have much of an odor compared to dino oil. Could be spilled motor oil from the funnel..
Old 03-22-07, 12:50 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

oh sorry that i missed informed u, but it was before i changed my oil.

i scheduled an appt with the stealership for tomorrow, i also have some problems with my ac/heater vents. during this past winter the vents towards the footwell were not blowing heat.
Old 03-23-07, 02:34 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it blowing anything or just cold air?

Did you try to auto self-calibrate the solenoids?

Mine had the problem of not blowing any air through the center vent until I recalibrated it:

From memory , hold down the top-right and bottom-right buttons (not the temp) as you turn on the ignition lights (do not start). I think you then press the button second from the right on the top.

The AC unit will start a cycle of moving all solenoids and motors. Let this repeat a few times and turn off ignition. And start her up!
Old 03-24-07, 08:05 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

so anyways i topped off my coolant reservoir and drove to work, opened up my hood and checked the level now its completely dry.

is that common? i told the service guys that and they said that they cant explain why its doing that but i do not have a leak.

they also explained to me that the leak/oil i see on the mud guard is from spilling motor oil when i change my motor oil. its a lot of oil on that mud guard and i cant remember when i've spilled that much oil when changing my oil.

also to recap the oil/fluid that is leaking is a clear.yellow and has no smell..i dont think it can be motor oil either because i drove over 6k miles and for oil to leak off the mud guard to the ground is highly unlikely

Last edited by joshoowa; 03-24-07 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-24-07, 08:07 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs-ireland
Is it blowing anything or just cold air?

Did you try to auto self-calibrate the solenoids?

Mine had the problem of not blowing any air through the center vent until I recalibrated it:

From memory , hold down the top-right and bottom-right buttons (not the temp) as you turn on the ignition lights (do not start). I think you then press the button second from the right on the top.

The AC unit will start a cycle of moving all solenoids and motors. Let this repeat a few times and turn off ignition. And start her up!
can you explain what top right and bottom right buttons u speak of? also my car isnt navi equip either
Old 03-24-07, 02:07 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is exactly how you do it (for non-nav):

Hold down the re-circ AND Auto buttons together on your ac control. Keep holding them down as you turn on the ignition lights (no not start). All lights/LCD will flash on A/C controls. Let go of the buttons.

You will now see any error codes. If you see 21 & 24 these are normal if its not sunny out. Press the re-circ button ONCE. It will now auto-calibrate and let this run a few times. Turn ignition off when you are satisfied.

If there were any other error codes try it again to see if this auto-calibrate fixed it.

Start her up and see if it works!.

If there is any other codes just let me know.

Re coolant leak:

Is your front carpet wet ?

Last edited by gs-ireland; 03-24-07 at 02:17 PM.