GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just bought a 2003 GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 01:01 PM
TonyO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2003 GS 430

What do I need to know about it? It has 42K miles fully loaded with Mark Levision, navigation, etc. Doesn't have the chrome wheels but I plan on putting RX wheels on it later this summer.

How do I set the driver seat adjustment?

I owned a 94 Camry for the past 5 years and am upgrading. Other than half the MPG what will I notice in the difference?

Do these cars have any common problems I should worry about? I heard the ball joints need replacing after 100K. What else should I watch out for?
Old 03-24-07, 01:15 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re:

Congrats! I just upgraded to an '02 GS430 also w/ 42K miles. Seat adjustment is on bottom left side of seat as is with 95% of other vehicle makes and models. To set it in memory, make sure the car is on and in park. Set your seat how you like it. Hold down the SET button on the door then press memory button 1 or 2 while you are still holding the set button. You will hear a beep to confirm it has been saved.

You really can't compare the difference with a 94 Camry. You will be pleased. I'll let others chime in on maintenance issues. Nothing major to worry about though besides headlight condensation, low idle, cracked heater core (that makes your driver side carpet wet) and a few squeaks a rattles.
Old 03-24-07, 01:17 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new purchase, and welcome to the cluB!

yes, there are worlds of differences coming from your camry. You will never look back again. Enjoy your car!
Old 03-24-07, 01:18 PM
proboost
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on your new purchase.
To set the memory, hold down the set and number 1 buton together until you hear a beep, this will memorise the postion for driver one.
Old 03-24-07, 01:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyO

I owned a 94 Camry for the past 5 years and am upgrading. Other than half the MPG what will I notice in the difference?
You'll notice that the pedal travel for the GS is longer. It's more responsive and precise.

Notice the same soft, spongy, and unconfident suspension. Can't forget the same quality dash material and the exact same cruise control button! Obviously the GS's engine will be smoother and more powerful. The Camry doesn't have ball joint problems, low idle, headlight condensation, sunroof rattle, etc. The camry is cheaper to run and maintain than the GS. The GS does look better though. The drive feels the same. Nothing special with the GS in terms of handling. Other than that, nothing really.
Old 03-24-07, 01:29 PM
TonyO
Rookie

Originally Posted by AUGuy21
Congrats! I just upgraded to an '02 GS430 also w/ 42K miles. Seat adjustment is on bottom left side of seat as is with 95% of other vehicle makes and models. To set it in memory, make sure the car is on and in park. Set your seat how you like it. Hold down the SET button on the door then press memory button 1 or 2 while you are still holding the set button. You will hear a beep to confirm it has been saved.

You really can't compare the difference with a 94 Camry. You will be pleased. I'll let others chime in on maintenance issues. Nothing major to worry about though besides headlight condensation, low idle, cracked heater core (that makes your driver side carpet wet) and a few squeaks a rattles.
Thanks. Well Toyota only goes so far on their luxury. I like the Solara but something told me to go Lexus instead because of all the extra goodies in them

So the heater core may go out on me? I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Is there a trick to locking and unlocking it with the key? Do you press and hold or point it a different way? I just briefly tried playing with it but I haven't figured it out yet.
Old 03-24-07, 01:31 PM
TonyO
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
You'll notice that the pedal travel for the GS is longer. It's more responsive and precise.

Notice the same soft, spongy, and unconfident suspension. Can't forget the same quality dash material and the exact same cruise control button! Obviously the GS's engine will be smoother and more powerful. The Camry doesn't have ball joint problems, low idle, headlight condensation, sunroof rattle, etc. The camry is cheaper to run and maintain than the GS. The GS does look better though. The drive feels the same. Nothing special with the GS in terms of handling. Other than that, nothing really.
Overall the GS is 10x better though right?
Old 03-24-07, 01:43 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the heater core may go out on me? I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
It won't "just go out on you" but it could crack during an accident and such. My old '99 GS300 was in a fender bender before I bought it and I noticed the wet floor 9 months after I had it. Apparently it cracked due to the accident. You don't hear about it too often but I see a thread about it every now and then...
Old 03-24-07, 01:49 PM
TonyO
Rookie

Originally Posted by AUGuy21
It won't "just go out on you" but it could crack during an accident and such. My old '99 GS300 was in a fender bender before I bought it and I noticed the wet floor 9 months after I had it. Apparently it cracked due to the accident. You don't hear about it too often but I see a thread about it every now and then...
Oh ok sounds like a rare occurence then.

Well the final decision to get the GS was made by Consumer Reports. For the last year I wanted to buy an 05 Caddy STS and then I read what a bucket those things are right out of the factory and I had always wanted a Lexus but I always thought they were over priced. I picked mine up off a dealership on Ebay for $25K total with transport and no tax so I figured I couldn't pass that deal up
Old 03-24-07, 01:58 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club!

Not sure what you were averaging with the Camry, but it won't be as bad as you think. Unless you have a really heavy right foot, most of with 430s average 18-21 mpg around town and around 23-25 mpg on the highway.
Old 03-24-07, 02:08 PM
TonyO
Rookie

Originally Posted by phunkyGS
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club!

Not sure what you were averaging with the Camry, but it won't be as bad as you think. Unless you have a really heavy right foot, most of with 430s average 18-21 mpg around town and around 23-25 mpg on the highway.
Wow really? That's not far off from what I was getting in the Camry. I was probably getting about 24-25 MPG around town so it sounds like there won't be a devastating difference and I'll have a car 10x better
Old 03-24-07, 02:11 PM
LexFather

Welcome to Clublexus.
Take your time, search and read the wealth of information here

Congrats
Old 03-24-07, 02:36 PM
TonyO
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Welcome to Clublexus.
Take your time, search and read the wealth of information here

Congrats
Thanks I definitely will be reading all I can about it. My mom bought a 1997 ES 300 a couple months ago (Upgrade from her 95 Camry) so I'll be looking at the ES topics for info on hers. So I have 2 cars to search and research for on here
Old 03-24-07, 02:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on your ride. You would be happy to know that the GS has cleared of its bugs by '03. Including ball joint, door lock actuators, headlight condensation issue, and a few others. The GS had a long run, but they perfected it near its end.

I suggest you invest in a extended warranty while you can, before you reach 50K. Especially if you plan on keeping the car for sometime. I'm loving my '02 with ML/Nav. Really enjoying the sound system, and navi on long trips. Makes you feel some seriously is missing when you get into another car with no navi.

Anyhow, enjoy your purchase... and welcome to CL
Old 03-24-07, 03:04 PM
TonyO
Rookie

Cool Thanks for the welcome

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Congrats on your ride. You would be happy to know that the GS has cleared of its bugs by '03. Including ball joint, door lock actuators, headlight condensation issue, and a few others. The GS had a long run, but they perfected it near its end.

I suggest you invest in a extended warranty while you can, before you reach 50K. Especially if you plan on keeping the car for sometime. I'm loving my '02 with ML/Nav. Really enjoying the sound system, and navi on long trips. Makes you feel some seriously is missing when you get into another car with no navi.

Anyhow, enjoy your purchase... and welcome to CL

Cool. What do you mean they perfected everything near its end? You mean near the end of the second generation?

I have an extended warranty company wanting me to buy one but I mean why would you need one with a Lexus?

How long have you owned the 02?

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2003 GS 430