GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is it time to replace the rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 06:20 PM
GSV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time to replace the rack?

I have a 140k GS4 with new-tires, coilovers, Frt lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods, steering rack bushings, sway bar bushings and added a TRD STB.

Going over the Newport Bridge in RI the other day, which I have not traveled in a number of months, noticed that the wheel was waffling in my hands! This bridge is loaded with repaired pot holes, expansion joints and uneven surfaces. The steering wheel really felt uneasy. Anything more than 60 as the speed increased got worse and worse. I don't notice this feeling until the road gets bumpy. On smooth highway or lower speeds it is good.
This feeling was seemingly from the front end. I can't imagine it was derived from the rear- say rear control arms.... or maybe- they are original...

What do you think??
1)rack
2)upper control arms
3)something loose
4)something in the rear
5)tires pressure...I will check to rule this out now.

Thanks all~
Old 03-27-07, 12:02 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same problem when the tires are low pressure. Did you check the tire pressure...

Last edited by dung0981; 03-27-07 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-27-07, 01:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

what do u mean by uneasy? does the steering wheel shake or something?
Old 03-27-07, 10:39 AM
GSV8
Driver

Originally Posted by dung0981
I get the same problem when the tires are low pressure. Did you check the tire pressure...
My pressures were pretty close 31-33psi

Originally Posted by GSteg
what do u mean by uneasy? does the steering wheel shake or something?
I can feel the wheel wriggling in my hands. It is not like a tire being out of balance. I did not dare take my hands off the wheel. Is there a way for me to check the rack? I really need to get this resolved...help
Old 03-27-07, 05:04 PM
GSV8
Driver

Should I have the Stealership look at it? I hate giving them money but they may know my car best...

Last edited by GSV8; 03-27-07 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-07, 07:23 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

im having the same or simalar problem on my 99 gs3. car rocks like a boat or sways left to right like the shocks are dead after hitting uneven or a bump on the road. while its doing that the steering wheel is tuggin left and right in the movement of the body rocking. please help out if anybody knows a cure to this
Old 03-28-07, 05:26 AM
GSV8
Driver

Originally Posted by 510alex
im having the same or simalar problem on my 99 gs3. car rocks like a boat or sways left to right like the shocks are dead after hitting uneven or a bump on the road. while its doing that the steering wheel is tuggin left and right in the movement of the body rocking. please help out if anybody knows a cure to this
You need to elaborate a little more....how many miles do you have? What have you replaced so far? Has it been in any accidents?
Old 03-28-07, 04:36 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

i got 140k, no accidents cars been fine up until when i replaced the driver side ball joint after experiencing the "symptons". but one thing i should of done was done a alignment after cause since then my steering wheel sits at a slight angle. so for one i know i need to do an alignment but even without it it was driving fine up until recently it just feels like i have no control of the steering wheel at time when the car hits a wave or bump on the road. the car rocks then the steering wheel rocks with it. i also noticed theres alot of "play" in the steering now also. feels like my rack is busted or something. i would just take it to the dealer but im more of a diy type of person. any suggestions or opinions would be aprreciated
Old 03-28-07, 04:46 PM
GSV8
Driver

Originally Posted by 510alex
i got 140k, no accidents cars been fine up until when i replaced the driver side ball joint after experiencing the "symptons". but one thing i should of done was done a alignment after cause since then my steering wheel sits at a slight angle. so for one i know i need to do an alignment but even without it it was driving fine up until recently it just feels like i have no control of the steering wheel at time when the car hits a wave or bump on the road. the car rocks then the steering wheel rocks with it. i also noticed theres alot of "play" in the steering now also. feels like my rack is busted or something. i would just take it to the dealer but im more of a diy type of person. any suggestions or opinions would be aprreciated
Besides the fact that I am helping you hijack my thread...you really need to get that alignment done asap. With the toe likely way out of wack your steering will feel weird. Have the "qualified" tech due an examination of the steering and suspension components. Also you should really do the pass side ball joint unless it was just recently done. Our cars go through them quickly.

Back to my si-chee-a-shun....any others have thoughts???
A lifetime guarantee reman'd rack cost about $300 and my father in law would help do the install for the price of a good meal. Should I look harder for another culprit???