GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 L-Tuned handling compared to loaner IS300 stock (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 09:50 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 L-Tuned handling compared to loaner IS300 stock (long)

Just thought I'd give you guys some feedback on my experience with an IS300 E-Shift loaner that I got yesterday while my GS430 was in for its 15K maintenance.

First, my GS430 has the following: Lexus 17" wheels/tires, rear spoiler, L-Tuned steering ECU/shocks/springs, TRD front/rear sways, TRD lower chassis brace.

Okay...the IS300 handles VERY well! I'd read this many times, but actually driving the car around town for 150 or so miles made me a believer. My wife got a BMW 330i as a loaner for her Z3 a few months back and I have to say that the IS300 felt much tighter than that car, especially in the steering. The IS was incredibly predictable, actually feeling more like a go-cart than anything else. I'd heard that it had a rough ride, and definitely you can feel the road and hear the wind noise, but it's not as bad as I'd thought. Off the line you definitely don't get the push-in-your-seat that the GS4 gives, but it's quick, even in automatic form (I'd asked for a manual, but they didn't have any on the lot). At speed it feels VERY quick because it's not as isolated as the GS is. All in all it was a VERY fun loaner!

So I got my GS430 back after having fun with the IS300 and the first thing I noticed was the steering. Even with the suspension enhancements and the L-Tuned steering ECU, the GS had notably softer steering. Like I said, the best thing I can compare the IS300's steering to is a go-cart...like the ones at Thunderzone south of Austin if you're from the area. On the positive side, though, the overall handling feel of the L-Tuned/TRD GS430 was VERY similar to that of the IS300 if not a tiny bit softer. Definitely you feel the difference in the sizes of the cars. but considering that size difference, I'm REALLY impressed with what the L-Tuned/TRD mods do for the GS's handling!

The service guys asked me how I enjoyed the loaner when I brought it back in to pick up my car and I told them that it was fun, but after driving a GS4--especially an L-Tuned GS4--most other cars felt anemic power-wise. They both laughed and said that they'd heard much the same from several others who'd driven both...

As a final aside, it's worth noting that in Austin, Lexus and BMW share the same lot (John Roberts owns both). I have a Lexus and my wife has a BMW. My customer service has been FANTASTIC; hers has sucked royally! After I dropped off my GS for servicing yesterday, my wife had asked me to have "a little chat" with the BMW service manager regarding the incredibly poor service and reliability she's had on her Z3. The service manager admitted that he'd been hired from a large Mercedes-Benz dealer to take care of that poor service reputation. He told me that so far the lead time for service appointments had been reduced from EIGHT WEEKS to a few days and that overall customer satisfaction had risen substantially. Being an owner, I'm glad to know that, but it's a concrete example of the difference between stereotypical Lexus service and BMW service. I qualify "stereotypical" because I know that there are poor Lexus dealers and great BMW dealers out there, but the general reputation stands...

Anyway, thought you guys would enjoy these musings...
Old 11-25-01, 03:20 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have amost the same setup as SCWells72 on my GS4 with A few weeks back I also have an IS300 as a loaner for my 20K Oil Service. Been owner of a BMW330I, I felt that I need to say something. I love the ride on my 330I more than the IS300. Both of them been automatic, the 330i's automatic transmission felt quicker and more solid than IS300. Personaly, I don't like the look of the speedometer on the IS300. It look really cool on the magazine, but after seen it live on the loaner.. I could not stand it. The interior quality feels less superior than the 300i. All the plastic componets in the IS300 feels kind of filmsy.. The quality of the 330i feel like the price you pay for. The realibility of Bimmer? I have not got any problem with my bimmer.. what so ever.. Well, been almost 6000 more on the price, it does make you feel the car worth every penny that I pay for. Nothing against the engine or the suspension of IS300.. just think that the interior of the IS300 need some touchup.. maybe the carbon fiber interior kit will do.. but I think my 330i is better....
Old 11-25-01, 08:10 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Shinchan
I have amost the same setup as SCWells72 on my GS4 with A few weeks back I also have an IS300 as a loaner for my 20K Oil Service. Been owner of a BMW330I, I felt that I need to say something. I love the ride on my 330I more than the IS300. Both of them been automatic, the 330i's automatic transmission felt quicker and more solid than IS300. Personaly, I don't like the look of the speedometer on the IS300. It look really cool on the magazine, but after seen it live on the loaner.. I could not stand it. The interior quality feels less superior than the 300i. All the plastic componets in the IS300 feels kind of filmsy.. The quality of the 330i feel like the price you pay for. The realibility of Bimmer? I have not got any problem with my bimmer.. what so ever.. Well, been almost 6000 more on the price, it does make you feel the car worth every penny that I pay for. Nothing against the engine or the suspension of IS300.. just think that the interior of the IS300 need some touchup.. maybe the carbon fiber interior kit will do.. but I think my 330i is better....
I agree with you on the 330i. A BMW 330i fully loaded (Especially with Sports Package) is the way to go over a Lexus IS300 anyday. The BMW's feel solid, like a tank, and the styling overall is better than the Lexus IS300. I really like the black molding all around a silver color version of this BMW 330i. The sports package on the BMW, just makes the 330i look sooooo sweet whether in 2 or 4 door.

Last edited by lexguynj; 11-26-01 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-26-01, 10:35 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

I totally agree with SCWells regarding the steering feel on the IS. It's tighter than my GS4 with the steering ECU. That being said, IMO Lexus should make the L-Tuned ECU stock, and offer a "tighter" ECU comparable to the IS300 feel.

I have never owned a BMW, but have test driven quite a few, and I must admit the Germans know how to set up their steering and suspension in stock form. The trannys in the 3 and 5 series shift smoothly. It's just I have heard too many horror stories regarding reliability from owners which kept me away. Also I have been a long term Toyota owner, hence I opted for the Lexus.
Old 11-26-01, 10:45 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by QBranchCars
I totally agree with SCWells regarding the steering feel on the IS. It's tighter than my GS4 with the steering ECU. That being said, IMO Lexus should make the L-Tuned ECU stock, and offer a "tighter" ECU comparable to the IS300 feel.

I have never owned a BMW, but have test driven quite a few, and I must admit the Germans know how to set up their steering and suspension in stock form. The trannys in the 3 and 5 series shift smoothly. It's just I have heard too many horror stories regarding reliability from owners which kept me away. Also I have been a long term Toyota owner, hence I opted for the Lexus.
QBRANCHCARS,

I am in the same boat as you. However, I am disappointed in my GS430's steering, to soft, too floaty, etc...For this much money, I want it all. My parents have a BMW 530i and even without the sports package, the steering is tight and solid. I'd rather have more firm steering than one that feels like it's all over the place.

You are right in terms of BMW Reliability. This is keeping most of us away from the BMW as well as it does get expensive to maintain in the long term after that free maintenance runs out.

Now if Lexus could only come out with an optional factory sports package, then we would all be happy and not even have to discuss this.
Old 11-26-01, 10:51 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geat reviews, my babe likes both the 3 and the IS, this would be a tough one for me. is does drive like a go-cart very fun to drive
Old 11-26-01, 02:36 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

You know, I've only been lukewarm to the IS300's interior styling even as recently as the weekend before last when I went to the San Antonio auto show. However, driving the IS300 this weekend changed my opinion substantially. I also like the exterior changes (specifically the grill) for the 2002 model.

I think I still like the 3-series exterior better than that of the IS300, but all in all I'd have to say that the overall IS300 package is pretty damned compelling, especially with rumors of an L-Tuned supercharger for it!
Old 11-26-01, 05:07 PM
RacingAristo

must.....resist......m3.......must.....not....sell.....my......gs.....
Old 11-26-01, 05:14 PM
enginyr
Banned

Bmw 330i is one sweet ryde inside and out. If your thinking about getting one, you can recieve any bimmer in Europe and save thousands while getting a free vacation. Its called the European delivery. www.bimmer.org Almost got a 2002 330i Topaz Blue Bi-Xenons. Handled like a dream but doesn't not come even close to the G4's power AND SEX APEAL.....hehe
Old 11-26-01, 09:09 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by enginyr
Bmw 330i is one sweet ryde inside and out. If your thinking about getting one, you can recieve any bimmer in Europe and save thousands while getting a free vacation. Its called the European delivery. www.bimmer.org Almost got a 2002 330i Topaz Blue Bi-Xenons. Handled like a dream but doesn't not come even close to the G4's power AND SEX APEAL.....hehe
I believe women are impressed by the Lexus name, but they all know and fall for the BMW name, there is something about owning a Bimmer that gets their attention! This is most unfortunate for us Lexus owners! HA!
Old 11-26-01, 10:21 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexguy,

i don't know man.... i think for the element of "sex appeal", lexus is very competitive(sp) to the bmws too. at least this is my experience. may be also because i keep my lex clean and shine the best i can. both appealing cars, but lex gave me more "positive feedback"
Old 11-27-01, 05:20 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
lexguy,

i don't know man.... i think for the element of "sex appeal", lexus is very competitive(sp) to the bmws too. at least this is my experience. may be also because i keep my lex clean and shine the best i can. both appealing cars, but lex gave me more "positive feedback"
I want to agree with you too and you are right to a point. I assume when women check out a guy driving a nice car, there is that attraction there, but Lexus has this aura of being associated with older folks, while BMW really knows how to use that chick magnet angle with it's nameplate and sportiness.

I hate to say it, but as snobby or elite BMW seems, women are more attracted to a BMW than a Lexus. They are sportier and have built a reputation as one of the ultimate chick magnets.

But we all know that Lexus is the true ultimate driving experience!

Old 11-27-01, 08:39 AM
enginyr
Banned

I think its mainly the 10k you saved getting your lexus over a bimmer to spend on all the women.