GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

loose steering problem HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 07:20 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose steering problem HELP!!

i own a 99 gs3, lately my steering wheel column is "loose" or has a a lot of free play. when i hit a uneven road or a bump on the freeway my car rocks left to right up and down like a boat. steering wheel rocks left and right so car ends up swaying left and right like im tugging on the wheel side to side or like my shocks are dead. i recently changed my driver side ball joint when it started making this squaking squeaky clicking noise. my alignment is kinda off because i never realigned it since changing the ball joint. would that be the reason? i even sold my 20s because i thought that was the cause of all this. everything is stock besides riding on the 02 gs3 wheels. tires has a slight camberwear on the inside but more on the driver side, now i have to deal with this problem anybody have any remedies to solve this? makes me want to give up owning a lexus cause of this irritating problem. please help
Old 03-28-07, 12:18 PM
toeb
Pole Position

check the rack and pinnon bushings. my gs had loose steering prob to. i put the daizen rack bushing in and ive had a nice tight steering wheel sence then. to check and see if these are wore out get someone to help, with the car off get someone to move the steering wheel left and right while you get down and look at the rack under the car. if the rack moves more than a quater inch the bushings are shot and probley need to be replaced..
Old 03-28-07, 04:44 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

ok i will give that a try but a better example of whats happening is even when i go over a speed bump one wheel at a time or at a angle my steeringwheel moves left or right too depending on which wheel hits the speed bump first. i know before the steering wheel stayed in the same position without feel the "road" like it does now. ive lost the smoothness in my drive like a lexus should. my car has 140k and all stock besides the 02 gs wheels so i know bushings and etc is getting worn but i just wanted to know what i should go spend money to replace first or if any of you guys experienced this prob and can direct me to the source. thanks!
Old 03-29-07, 05:34 AM
toeb
Pole Position

that bushing kit is only about 40 bucks and at a 140k they probley need to be replaced anyway. the oe ones are rubber the daizens are poly there stiffer and tightin up everything. the install only takes bout an hr, its an easy DIY if you got a place to do it. unless the controll arm bushings, tierod ends or balljoints are shot this is where i would start. any thing i can help you with man holla be glad to help.
Old 03-29-07, 09:52 PM
510alex
Driver School Candidate

thanks alot ill give all that a try before i go get an alignment? i figure if i did the alignment first i would probably have to redo it when i change the bushings etc right?