GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

bmw owners what to say??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 07:00 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i remember reading an article last year of how europee-on cars were thrid in reliablity. i think bmws looks nice, but just not nice enough to justify the cost IMO.
Old 03-28-07, 07:07 PM
IGGYWOOWOO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny that you brought this up! My wife and I were wondering what car to get her next. The BMWs look stunning and perform well. So we took out to look and test drive several 1-3 year old BMWs at the BMW dealership. Let me start out by saying that we were sorely dissappointed! All cars showed measurable ware on the seats and center gay-*** armrest. All cars had less than 30,000 miles. The doors were very heavy. The salesman proceded to tell me about BMWs history as a steel supplier and that they have the heaviest doors.... then the Texas wind blew the door closed on my leg ouch! Then he pointed out that our Lexus GS300 had simulated wood and the BMWs don't. All of the cars we looked at had splits in the wood (some major) from the Texas heat. What about an accident... Splinters anyone! (yes this is an actual problem) The salesman then reset the odometer on the dash for the first car we drove... the dash pushed in at least 1/2 inch. (precision my ***) I am sorry, we were not impressed. My wifes 99 GS300 still looks and feels new. (no worn leather ect) Oh yea leather is not standard in all models... yes BMWs lower end cars still have "pleather".

I do however love the looks of their sports cars and the M series... I just would not own one!

Now when we see someone acting like they are all that in a BMW... We just laugh "they got screwed"!

Sorry for the rant! Brandon
Old 03-28-07, 07:19 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about a Mercedes? Are the used Mercedes bad quality like BMWs?
Old 03-28-07, 08:15 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrurmil
They buy an entry level 3 series and get big heads pretending like they drive a bentley.
you feel me!! its an entry level bimmer and ****'s wanna act all snobby already!!! i have to experience this crap all the time where i work (mobile electronics installer), come on man its just a 3 series!!!
Old 03-28-07, 08:30 PM
sportf190
Driver School Candidate

thats exacttly what im saying bro there 30000 dollar 3 series cant compete with a 55000 dollar gs4 ours are faster nicer inside and more realible but for some reason they think when they tell people they drive a bmw they think it means more then a lex.. i think they got the B's confused with bentley or something lol
Old 03-28-07, 08:33 PM
IGGYWOOWOO
Rookie

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
That is entirely a different can of worms! Look them up on consumer reports... owned by crystler with simialr reliability.
Old 03-28-07, 08:39 PM
timphan85
Driver

ive owned a GS and then got two bimmers. 2002 bmw 525I and a 2002 BMW M3. The M3 gave me lots of problems. My first GS 99 gs3 gave me no problems up to 190k miles. Starter went dead then replaced for 400 bucks drove it for another 40k and sold it. total 230k miles on l the GS. My M# with 35k miles gave me problems. 10k in problems. Sold it at 43k miles. My 2002 *knock on wood* 525i still hasnt given me a problem yet. 89k miles on it.
Old 03-28-07, 08:40 PM
sportf190
Driver School Candidate

also our cars are in rap songs and i can prove it biggie smalls in big poppa i never heard no 3 or 5 series sung like their rich people cars...

No need to be greedy I got mad friends with Benz's
C-notes by the layers, true ****in players
Jump in the Rover and come over
tell your friends jump in the GS3, I got the chronic by the tree
Old 03-28-07, 10:32 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
I was going to get a benz E320 before I got my GS. I did some research on reliability. IF YOU EVER CONSIDER BUYING A MERCEDES PLEASE VISIT THIS SITE FIRST!!

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/

I bet it will change your mind.
Old 03-28-07, 10:42 PM
dino
Driver

the worse bmw drivers are the ones that drive the 318i, thinking they're the *****. inline 4? the hatchback models are just plain hideous and far from a luxurious, powerful sports car. ultimate driving piece of....

but i love m3s.
Old 03-28-07, 10:57 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Ignorance is bliss. I have a friend who was convinced his '97 Acura TL was the pedigree of luxury and once he said the new GS300 AWD was 'too big a car to be AWD'. I didn't hold his dumbass opinions against him, outside of the car realm he's quite smart and successful. I guarantee he's a future BMW owner. Along with my Z4 driving lawyer friend who drives worse than my license-less grandma. You'll find some people are better left alone. I respect 325is. I don't respect 325i drivers who think their car is on a mantle compared to a GS.
Old 03-28-07, 11:33 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AUGuy21
As loyal as I am to Lexus and as much as I love my GS, if I had the money to buy an '06 330i with Navi and wasn't worried about paying for the maintenance, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat... more fun out of the box where I've got to spend money getting the GS like I want
Yeah, what he said...

I love my Lex, but the only reason I'm not in a 540i Sport 6-speed right now is because of the BMW maintenance and electrical issues.

And when you actually DRIVE a new 3 coupe, it rides so nice, yet it's still aggressive enough for the twisties, right off the showroom floor. I've spent a lot of money modding my Lex to ride basically like a sporty BMW, and it still really doesn't. The BMW STILL handles better, AND it's more compliant. You just can't replace the time and effort those german engineers pour into their suspensions and engines.

So, my next one's German. Porsche or BMW all the way for me... Yeah, I'll spend more money on maintenance, but it really just equates to Lexus "mod money" in the end. I'll drive my GS until it drops though, I aint tradin' it in...and when the BMW or Porsche arrives, the GS will become my mighty-fine "beater".
Old 03-28-07, 11:55 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

With the upgraded suspension and turbo setup, I enjoy turning the smile/grin on the faces of BMW owners to a shocked expression . A lot of them will actually give me a comment like "hoooly s***, I didn't know that was possible with a Lexus". But.....I would take a E60 M5 over my car any day though If I had that kind of money, maintenance costs wouldn't really be on my list of priorities
Old 03-29-07, 02:41 AM
SFGS
Driver School Candidate

I don't know about a 325i being better than a gs400. How about they compare a 5-series to a gs.
Old 03-29-07, 07:26 AM
IGGYWOOWOO
Rookie

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...-406/index.htm

From Wikipedia:
"In 1998, Daimler-Benz and Chrysler agreed to combine their businesses — known as the "merger of equals", that a new entity, DaimlerChrysler AG was created."

The companies simply merged.

More reliability reports:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/20/m...orts-reliabil/

FWIW, I love MB... I would give my left nut for an E55 AMG, but they seriously need to build a better car or start charging less for their ****-boxes!

$.02

A good read here: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...28/038601.html

Last edited by IGGYWOOWOO; 03-29-07 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: bmw owners what to say??