GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

bmw owners what to say??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 08:17 AM
johnboygs3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comparing the 3 series to the GS to me is the reliability and the style the Lexus has. Don't get me wrong but the Bimmer looks nice and all but our GS look much more sexy don't you think. Plus there so much you can do to the 3 series where our cars there seem endless. So much stuff for the 2ndGS it's incredible. Seems everybody got their own personality with their GSs where I'll go the shows the 3 series all look alike to me. Right guys but it's just my .02 Keep up the good work guys
Old 03-29-07, 09:30 AM
TonyO
Rookie

Why hasn't anyone thrown some American muscle into the mix? How does the Caddy STS stack up to the GS4? How about the CTS in comparison to the GS3?

I was on the fence for a while and almost bought a Caddy STS but then I read what a bucket they were in Consumer Reports and it changed my mind overnight. I started looking into Lexus models and narrowed it down to an LS or GS and I chose the GS because its sportier and not as much of a grandpa car as the LS. Don't get me wrong I love the LS but I'm glad I chose the GS4.

From what I've read in this topic I think I may have chosen the best car in its class as far as reliability. I dont plan on taking it out on the race track and I need something that'll get me to work and back for my 35 mile roundtrip commute everyday.

I'm upgrading from my reliable 94 Camry so I'm a total newbie to Lexus but not a newbie to Toyota. I know their reliability so that's what drove me to choose Lex over BMW and Benz.
Old 03-29-07, 09:46 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyO
Why hasn't anyone thrown some American muscle into the mix? How does the Caddy STS stack up to the GS4? How about the CTS in comparison to the GS3?

I was on the fence for a while and almost bought a Caddy STS but then I read what a bucket they were in Consumer Reports and it changed my mind overnight. I started looking into Lexus models and narrowed it down to an LS or GS and I chose the GS because its sportier and not as much of a grandpa car as the LS. Don't get me wrong I love the LS but I'm glad I chose the GS4.

From what I've read in this topic I think I may have chosen the best car in its class as far as reliability. I dont plan on taking it out on the race track and I need something that'll get me to work and back for my 35 mile roundtrip commute everyday.

I'm upgrading from my reliable 94 Camry so I'm a total newbie to Lexus but not a newbie to Toyota. I know their reliability so that's what drove me to choose Lex over BMW and Benz.
And you are the EXACT target market Lexus has always sought. People who want reliability and luxury over handling and raw-power. And this recipe has worked so well for them, they'd be fools to abandon this market.

For the pure driving enthusiast, driving a stock Lexus is like driving a Buick (IS excluded). It's so quiet and sedate that it'll put you to sleep, and of course it tends to just lean right over at the mere sight of a high-speed bend.

So, many of us are trying for the best of both worlds: great reliability AND an adrenaline-laced driving experience when we want it. So thus our "endless pursuit of perfection".

Last edited by KevinGS; 03-29-07 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 09:46 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love BMW and Benz. I would love to get a M5 in the future. But the reliability and maintenance scares me. My dad had a 5-series a few years ago, nothing but headaches. He loved it but finally ended buying an infiniti and would never go back to bmw now. My father in law now has a bmw 330ci (used to have gs300) Overall it's been good...but i think he will be going back to lexus or maybe a benz next.
Old 03-29-07, 10:12 AM
TonyO
Rookie

Originally Posted by KevinGS
And you are the EXACT target market Lexus has always sought. People who want reliability and luxury over handling and raw-power. And this recipe has worked so well for them, they'd be fools to abandon this market.

For the pure driving enthusiast, driving a stock Lexus is like driving a Buick (IS excluded). It's so quiet and sedate that it'll put you to sleep, and of course it tends to just lean right over at the mere sight of a high-speed bend.

So, many of us are trying for the best of both worlds: great reliability AND an adrenaline-laced driving experience when we want it. So thus our "endless pursuit of perfection".

Yep exactly. The only reason I didn't go for a pimped out Avalon is that I have been wanting to jump into a Lexus for many years and now that I can finally afford one I figure I'd push the envelope, stop playing with "Toys" and go for a true luxory car

I do have a master plan for upgrades though. After reading what people are doing this is the wish list I've put together:

tower strut bar
Borla Exhaust
SRT Intake
Remote start
Woodgrain kit (extended from what I have now)
LED Tail lights
RX wheels

For the long term big upgrades:

vertical doors
custom paint
custom croc and ostrich interior
DVD in both headrests

Old 03-29-07, 10:29 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhh, Tony, I see your 'endless pursuit of perfection' is about to begin as well.
Old 03-29-07, 10:39 AM
HAWAI'I
Rookie

I own an 00 325 (no issues), and an 04 M3 (no issues@33k). I am also a mainstay at e46fanatics.com and M3forum. A lot of 323 and 325 people in E46talks so highly about their cars, maybe because it is the, "hey BMW look at me" factor or they are just proud of owning one or maybe they are just a bunch of pr1cks. the E46 323,325 in my opinion has good button placement, nice interior, good suspension, wonderful shape but it is hella slow.

When I was shopping for a DD, I was looking at a 5er and a GS. My decision to get the GS came down on Maintenance and reliability factor. I figured I would rather own one that is problem free till 150k+ rather than have a BMW that would break down and make me spend $$$ to get it back on the road, being that I did not know the service history coz I was buying second hand. So the GS is a no brainer. If I was to buy brand new to brand new, It can be a tough choice
Old 03-29-07, 11:22 AM
Misha98GS4
Driver

Originally Posted by texan629
Are 55,000 dollar gs4's faster than a 335i?
No, the 335 is faster. I believe 0-60 is 5.5 seconds, whereas the gs4 is 5.7, but it feels a lot sportier. My friend has one and it's impossible not to speed in that car. Amazing car though, Can easily be modified to give another like 200 HP. The 2 turbos and intercooler only add like 50 hp, it's so limited. My GS feels slower because I have 170 Kilometres, and the 335 has like under 1000 lol.
Old 03-29-07, 11:41 AM
LexXxuS101
Lead Lap

My friend own auto shop, if we would have germans cars around such as BMW , BENZ ,,VW…ETC…..i think they would go out of business LOL…….example 01 BMW 745 with 82,000 just got NEW engine car was clean!!! Car been serviced… electrical problems as well… that dude pay some much to fix that $.h.i.t.t… and hi is not first one ….. quality is sucks … but performance you now…….i guess german car only for lease… only one car I might gona buy(hopefully lol) PORSCHE 911t/turbo yeahh baby… but for comfort lexus is best ..Bentley luxury Toyota quality here u have Lexus!!!
Old 03-29-07, 12:09 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard this joke on TV awhile back....hope you enjoy it. "What the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?"......ANSWER: On a porcupine, the ***** are on the outside.
Old 03-29-07, 12:42 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sportf190
alright guys i just got a question my friend drives a 98 gs4 and i drive an is but soon to be gs... and three of our other friends all drive bmw's and for some reason they think there 325i's are better then our cars..
In what regard? What year 325 Bimmer?? Lets pick 1998 for both models.. I would say stock for stock, the 325 is superior to the GS when it comes to handeling, braking, and overall driving dynamics. Luxury features, size, would go to the GS.. Aesthetics is subjective. The maintainence problems I am hearing about is being overly exaggerated..Check outhttp://bimmerfest.comand tell me if the folks are vehemently upset about there cars being overly problematic..The frequency of problems is no different than here.

lexus and bmw is the same thing to me pretty much
They are not the same.. BMW is geared towards those that want more of a true driving experience in which the car is an extension of driver rather than the driver being an extension of the car.. Drive both makes back to back & you will understand. Don't rely on magazines.

Flame suit on.......
I actually own an 06 BMW X3, and this vehicle is my daily driver. I must honestly say that it is more fun to drive than my Bilstien coilover equipped GS. The ride is firm yet compliant. The handeling in corners far exceeds the GS in that there is absolutely no body roll in the corners. The brakes are also far superior than my GS.. Proud to report there have been no mechanical problems to date. You can make any car handle, look, and brake better than most with some serious $$$$. Out of the box, BMW gets the nod... I have my GS because it is still a looker after all these years..blk on blk on blk with 19's and a drop gets a lot of attention from the females As far as maintainence is concerned, BMW offers 4 years or 50,000 miles free scheduled maintainence on all of there models.. I buy to drive...
Old 03-29-07, 12:59 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

I own a supercharged E39 5 series, a 325i and an 04 GS300. Just tell the bimmer owners that BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet". Their EGO should be able to accept that after the service and maintenance is over, it's time to get a newer bimmer.
Old 03-29-07, 01:25 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

reading the responses on this thread makes you realise that lexus owners have just as big, if not bigger, egos as bmw owners...
Old 03-29-07, 01:25 PM
sportf190
Driver School Candidate

what do you think would turn more heads lexus or bmw?? i think they both have a big advantage over cars in their class like audi, acuras, and infiniti, but may not turn as many heads as benz's? what do you guys think
Old 03-29-07, 05:18 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sportf190
what do you think would turn more heads lexus or bmw?? i think they both have a big advantage over cars in their class like audi, acuras, and infiniti, but may not turn as many heads as benz's? what do you guys think
I think people just place too much emphasis on the "prestige" of BMW's. People are so impressed by bimmers but people are impressed that I even own a Lexus (my second to be exact) but they say it's just a Toyota because they know they can't afford one. As far as looks I think all the damn BMW's look alike, which is one mistake I think Lexus made. All the lexus cars were distinguishable right away, now you have to take a second look to know which model it is. I prefer the GS over almost any other sedan out there especially because it is very distinguished. Really the only other cars you might confuse it for from the front is an E-class or an S-type but not so much.

Quick Reply: bmw owners what to say??