GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Simple, Inexpensive, Easy Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 10:21 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow HOLD ON...

.5 seconds? From a torque converter? Hmmm.. and how much is that?

And Francis, I forgot to add that Mangos, is like a few streets from my house! (I'm behind Miami Subs!)

What a SMALL world

Nader
Old 11-28-01, 12:51 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For $1000, I would to a intake and ECU (if you just want some more power)...but what about handling? To me, this is more important...For $1000, you can do sway bars, strut tower bars, lower chassis brace, etc...even w/o lowering the car, it'll handle very well (even on stock tires)...
Old 11-28-01, 12:46 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default No shiz midnite....

That's cool as hell...so your like right behind...Creative Image is it? Or is it Salon Seven?
Old 11-28-01, 08:43 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Talking yup...

Creative Image is accross from Miami Subs.. I'm telling you man.. the busness's around here have BOOMED in the last 5 years... its getting to be fun around here.. girls girl girls!

Nader
Old 11-29-01, 09:49 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: I knew you guys would come through...

Originally posted by Dexter
exhaust will help as well - no worries on the sound of the exhaust since most manf.s have baffles to quiet their systems if you want them, free of charge usually i.e. Borlas
no worries on the sound of an exhaust? I thought any kind of exhaust other than the factory Lexus exhaust will be louder???

I would like an exhaust, but hate extra sound...I don't wanna sound like those riced up civics and mustangs and all, I wanna sound fast AND luxurious...that is, stealth-like quietness
Old 11-29-01, 09:54 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: I knew you guys would come through...

Originally posted by nanotech

...I wanna sound fast AND luxurious...that is, stealth-like quietness
nanotech my man, I cant agree with you more. I guess some like the racer type, I have nothing against that, more power to them! But I like to keep my car discrete and luxurious. But hey, as long as you love lexus, you're cool with me!

Nader
Old 11-29-01, 10:01 PM
RacingAristo

HI98GS is selling his SRT set for under $400.
Pick up Borla SS for $400.
Pick up TRD STB for around $200 including shipping.
Old 11-30-01, 05:13 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: I knew you guys would come through...

Originally posted by Dexter
no worries on the sound of the exhaust since most manf.s have baffles to quiet their systems if you want them
Again, the baffles, or Venturis, I think they are actually called, can be had from the manufacturer.

Research the group buy on the Borals we did a while back, and you'll see the discussion on the venturis...

If all else, just keep the OEM, for sure it is queit enough for you.

I can identify with your concerns about the ricer sound - no worries here either - the Lexus V8 purring house cat is changed to a snarling Lion, but is matches the car's attitude quite nicely IMHO. It only time is gets 'loud' is when I stand on it, but even then, it projects a refined power howl - its dreamy.

Obviously, do your best to hear them for yourself and judge accordingly. Eveyone's tastes and preferences vary.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-30-01, 08:47 AM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Arrow Well...

This is what I've decided when I am ready to make some mods for "discrete power"

-->SRT Intake and ECU

-->Borla exhaust.. but...I can get that without a change in appearance and I can get those "factory bafflers" so that it doest give noticeable change in sound.. right?

Can i do both of those for under $1k?

Now another thing, Manaray mentioned handiling... Now, if I'm probobly never going to take it to the track, do i really need upgrades in handiling? Like, what kind if differnece does it make in everyday driving? Say, sway bars? What are strut tower bars anyway?

Thanx!

Nader
Old 11-30-01, 09:46 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Well...

Originally posted by MidniteLexus
This is what I've decided when I am ready to make some mods for "discrete power"

-->SRT Intake and ECU

-->Borla exhaust.. but...I can get that without a change in appearance and I can get those "factory bafflers" so that it doest give noticeable change in sound.. right?

Can i do both of those for under $1k?

Now another thing, Manaray mentioned handiling... Now, if I'm probobly never going to take it to the track, do i really need upgrades in handiling? Like, what kind if differnece does it make in everyday driving? Say, sway bars? What are strut tower bars anyway?

Thanx!

Nader
Borlas: I don't know; I guess it depends on whether the factory tips will fit on the Borla mufflers. Are there factrory tips? I can't remember....You should try to look at some pictures - once you do, I think you'll like the change to bigger tips. OEMs have been referred to as "pea shooters"

Handling: *search the archives* - but the short answer is - Depends on how you want your car to feel in everyday driving - if you want if flatter, tighter, more responsive, yes, mod the suspension - even with teh mods I have, and plan on doing, you'll still have the Lexus quality ride.

HTH
Old 12-01-01, 05:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

You don't have to track your car to appreciate better handling...but then again, you may not care to drive canyon type roads...

But if you like burning through a canyon every now a then, you'll notice a BIG difference with suspension upgrades...

If you just want to go fast straight, than you don't really need 'em...