GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Simple, Inexpensive, Easy Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 02:21 AM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Simple, Inexpensive, Easy Mod?

I'm looking for a cheap, and relativly easy way to get some more power from my '99 GS4. I dont like to modify my cars that much, and I dont want the exhuast sound to change. Anybody know of anything thats nice and simple and would get me some horspower, or maybe shave off a couple tics from my 0-60???

Thanx!!
Old 11-27-01, 05:09 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Simple, Inexpensive, Easy Mod?

Originally posted by MidniteLexus
I'm looking for a cheap, and relativly easy way to get some more power from my '99 GS4. I dont like to modify my cars that much, and I dont want the exhuast sound to change. Anybody know of anything thats nice and simple and would get me some horspower, or maybe shave off a couple tics from my 0-60???

Thanx!!
Sure - take out your spare / drive around with 1/4 tank of gas / go on a diet

That's it for cheap. Though I wouldn't use that word too much here - I 'm guessing you meant cost effective.

Seriously though, many of the even 'simple' mods will have ripple effects....expect it

Several options:

SRT Intake: small whistle when you stomp on it; relatively easy/simple mod

SRT Upgraded Torque Converter: no sounds, but a labor intensive install; better jump off the line; slightly less gas mileage

Those are the most common, "simple" perf upgrades that will help you achieve your "maybe shave off a couple tics from my 0-60".

From personal experience obviously, I love those two upgrades - well worth it. Look for some of my posts recently, and you'll know why....

HTH

Last edited by ///MDex; 11-27-01 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-27-01, 06:12 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Just like Dexter said, a 1999 GS400 is not going to be cheap!!! Anytype of aftermarket parts that you want to get is going to put a hurting on your wallet----unless you just hit the lotto!!! But honestly, I used to own a Honda Accord and an intake would run you about $125, but with my GS4 now, the intakes that I have been recommended to buy run close to $600.00---SRT intake for example. So the phrase "cost-effective" will come in real handy when you go shopping for your Lexus aftermarket parts, because nothing is going to be cheap----except stickers
Old 11-27-01, 07:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hehehehe...anything outside of what 1SickLex suggested will cost money and not be easy...

How about a 5 liter stroker kit and a supercharger? Only about $14,000 or so...plus or minus a few grand...plus a few grand for install...but heck, you should be able to give a 911/996 turbo a good run for it's money!
Old 11-27-01, 09:29 AM
enginyr
Banned

Zaino...Decrease your drag coefficient. (WAX) .01 in the quarter atleast
Old 11-27-01, 09:58 AM
Static911

remove power steering?

rip out radio deck.

take some metal pieces out (the one right above the gastank) (I was gonna do that for my LS)

static911
Old 11-27-01, 10:06 AM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Lightbulb ALRIGHT ALRGIHT!

Ok, forgive me for using the word cheap... lol.. I just didnt want to spend $14,000 ! How about $1000? Whats a good mod(s) I can make for up to $1000. Is that unreasonable too?

Thanx again ppl,

Nader

p.s. 14" pep boy wheels huh? .. hmmmm lol
Old 11-27-01, 10:09 AM
enginyr
Banned

For a grand I would get an intake w/ecu and exhaust. There is someone on the board selling both for $750 (used).
Old 11-27-01, 10:10 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

To recap our smartass remarks ML :

Cost effective is removing weight - otherwise, you will spend the green to go faster. Lowest cost upgrade = ~$600 out-the-door, insalled, for the SRT intake.

Ask any other questions We'll be glad to help.
Old 11-27-01, 10:47 AM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Thumbs up I knew you guys would come through...

Ok, See, One thing though, I'm not nearly as term savvy as you guys.

Ok, SRT Intake, sounds cool. Bu tI would NOT be installign these myslef, I would have somebody do it for me for sure. But, What effect will the SRT intake do for me? Power? Gas Milage? Sound? What does it do?

Hey, im learning!

Nader
Old 11-27-01, 10:54 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

If you decide to get the SRT or whatever, i can surely help you install it. I actually go to school in Ann Arbor.
Old 11-27-01, 11:12 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: I knew you guys would come through...

Originally posted by MidniteLexus
What effect will the SRT intake do for me? Power? Gas Milage? Sound? What does it do?
http://www.swiftracing.com/vehicles/.../intake400.htm

In a nutshell, more power out of the engine becasue it is breathing a bit easier....if you've got $1k to blow, exhaust will help as well - no worries on the sound of the exhaust since most manf.s have baffles to quiet their systems if you want them, free of charge usually i.e. Borlas
Attached Thumbnails Simple, Inexpensive, Easy Mod?-intake-itself.jpg  
Old 11-27-01, 12:54 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for $200 you can bag a Weapon*R intake which i have on my car, that is good for 6RWHP at LEAST.

or if you wanna spend 1K i'd go with the Weapon*R Intake and ECU, like SRT but better Power gains, the Weapon*R offers 20HP more (RW) and 30lb tq (RW)
Old 11-27-01, 02:47 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Hey MidniteLex...

What's up cuz, I see your from Dearborn. Nice to meet you man, I'm from Livonia. Man, hopefully one day we'll have enough MI people to have a meet and we can take em up to Mangos .

Peace cuz,
Francis

Oh, one more thing, what kind of reaction do people around town give you from your car? I'm lookin into either a G4 or a CLK.
Old 11-27-01, 10:17 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default CUZ.. lol!

Wow, FInnaly a Metro-Dearborner!

Anyways, you humored me wiht you cuz talk, makes me feel at home!

Come on Francis, a CLK or a GS4? Well, as far as girls are concerned, either one will "help you out" if you know what I mean. In and around town, a Lexus can NEVER fail you. It just sounds exotic, luxurious and has a HUGEEE "AWE" factor. Mercedes around town is really nice two, and gets lots of looks, but not like that GS4, ESPECIALLY wiht those 17" chromes. But hey... that CLK is a great car, and I'm telling you, that you cant go wrong with either car. But, LIE TO ME>> TELL YOU ARE GETTING THE GS4!

If you do, we'll go crusiin and start something around here man!

p.s. Mines in the shop though.... I busted my nav screen! LOOONG STORY!

Nader

Quick Reply: Simple, Inexpensive, Easy Mod?