GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

help... gs400 engine surging at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 02:18 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am anxious to find out as well, but i'm at work right now and i'll be home late tonight
Old 04-05-07, 06:25 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Carb cleaner? I thought our throttle bodies had a clear protective film on the inside housing that helped keep airflow into the engine smooth. With a carb cleaner this would remove (eat) the coating. Not 100% sure though. I thought just a simple wipe would work.
Old 04-05-07, 09:47 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

BE CAREFUL when applying carburator cleaner. I did to ones of my cars (not the Lexus) and when started it got in fire. I had to extinguish it with a wet towel. A big scare!!
I advise to get a mechanic
Old 04-05-07, 11:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Perhaps look into the CRC Throttle body cleaner
Old 04-06-07, 01:58 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean TB and check the gasket.. Did you clean the MAF sensor before... If yes, what kind the cleaner did you used?
Old 04-09-07, 07:13 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
You may even check it right now without cleaning it. I'm anxious to hear the results!

sorry i was away for the long weekend... i did as you recommended and sure enough it was just caked with crap in there. some of the holes were not even visible. the mechanic cleaned it out and thankfully it's idling fine again... thanks GSteg

ps: the gasket was paper
Old 04-09-07, 08:23 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
sorry i was away for the long weekend... i did as you recommended and sure enough it was just caked with crap in there. some of the holes were not even visible. the mechanic cleaned it out and thankfully it's idling fine again... thanks GSteg

Just curious, is it idling okay with the a/c off? If so, at what rpm? Is this a possible fix to the low idle problem that most of us 2GSer's have?

Henry, do you just need to remove two screws to get at those holes? Can you just spray the carb cleaner on there without taking apart the whole throttle body?

e
Old 04-09-07, 08:39 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

e-man: are you asking about my idle before or after the clean?
Old 04-09-07, 09:22 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

e-man: are you asking about my idle before or after the clean?
Benjamin -- I was asking about your idle after the TB clean (in drive, at a stop, with the a/c off). I know your problem was a surging problem, but you also said that your car stalled with the a/c off.

My question about how to clean out the holes was directed to GSteg.
Old 04-09-07, 09:24 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

with the all accessories and a/c off, in drive, stopped... it holds an idle of around 400-500rpm.
Old 04-09-07, 09:31 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

with the all accessories and a/c off, in drive, stopped... it holds an idle of around 400-500rpm.
Mine is about the same (and I never cleaned out those holes in the top of the TB). Does your car shake at all at that low rpm?
Old 04-09-07, 09:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by e-man

Henry, do you just need to remove two screws to get at those holes? Can you just spray the carb cleaner on there without taking apart the whole throttle body?

e
Yes sir, all it takes is two of those screws to remove the cover. I dont know if it's okay to clean it without taking it apart. I was cleaning my throttle body and it just happened that it was convenient to clean it at the same time

btw. havent seen you in awhile
Old 04-09-07, 09:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Glad it worked out for you.

Also thanks to dung0981 for actually cleaning for me. I let him cleaned mine while I stood around enjoying the nice weather
Old 04-09-07, 09:44 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Mine is about the same (and I never cleaned out those holes in the top of the TB). Does your car shake at all at that low rpm?
before the 2nd clean, after each surge at the point where the rpms bottomed out it would start to shake, but it didn't stay that way long enough because the next surge would bring the rpms back up again. when i was coming to a complete stop, no gas just braking, the rpms would fall to around 300rpm and the engine was stumbling hard trying to keep running just before it stalled...thankfully it's not doing that anymore.

on a side note... i've done almost 100mi now and my p0446 code hasn't come back! snoopy dance everyone!!!
Old 04-09-07, 09:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Just curious, is it idling okay with the a/c off? If so, at what rpm? Is this a possible fix to the low idle problem that most of us 2GSer's have?
you know what, I dont ever recall having that low idle issue after my TB was cleaned out. Before cleaning it, I did have one or two occassion where the engine was shaking and it wanted to die.

But I do not know of the problem well enough to decide if this is the cause because I dont know if it only happens to higher mileage cars.

Quick Reply: help... gs400 engine surging at idle