GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mega Bright Blue AC Console mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 11:16 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markgs4
Awesome conversion!!

Seeing DIY stuff like this reminds me that I have no talent LOL! Great job
lol same here bro
Old 04-13-07, 01:11 AM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sceptre
Are you serious it is illegal to mod cars in taiwan?
SCEPTRE: Yah it's illegal. They don't care about lights and stuff but they say you can't change the size of your rims from stock, can't lower your car, can't turbo it, etc etc. Every year there is a full inpsection when you do your emission control testing and if your car is modified in any way it won't pass...

That said, if you know the right people, you can pay them off and pass the inspections, so many people still do it. The problem is if you go through a roadblock or cops have you pulled over for ANY reason, you are screwed. I've spoken to people with all those mods, they are simply rich enough that they don't mind paying all the tickets and sometimes having to remove all mods then put them back on again... it's the one law I don't like here. Everything else is pretty chill, they don't pick on people for slightly speeding or anything like that, they don't have undercover cars, every radar trap is always in the same place and can be waypointed by GPS... so it has its good sides too

DIY PEOPLE - DISCLAIMER: I didn't go into great detail on purpose - because I don't want to be responsible for people frying their circuit boards or whatever. This mod took patience and at least some knowledge of electronics. It's not that hard to do, but it's not easy enough either for people to just follow a DIY sheet. If you were using the exact same LEDs as I was, it might be possible to follow an exact DIY, but even then, you'd have to be careful with the soldering etc. The main point is to show it's possible.

If you are going through with this, make sure your replacements for the LEDs are also powered by 3V DC and that your replacement for the bulbs is ready for 12V DC (so, make sure you use the correct resistor so that whatever LED you use is happy constantly at 12VDC). Also, take a picture of the circuit board before taking it apart - on mine, the bulbs had a little "H" and a number on the back. The position of the H was the negative side of the LED and the number was the positive - that might be different on every board though.
Old 04-13-07, 01:21 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jxd
ELITISTK: Gushan District
wow that's where i grew up! i used to live in the small place called NeiWei. Between JiouRu road and GuShan road. ZhongShan is the closest middle school to where i lived.
Old 04-13-07, 08:06 AM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

Default heh

Originally Posted by ElitistK
wow that's where i grew up!
You might be surprised if you haven't been here in a while... this place is becoming the new downtown, and there's new stuff popping up every day. Personally I think this is the nicest hood in all of kaohsiung, but then I'm biased, wouldn't have bought a place here if I didn't like it
Old 04-13-07, 08:27 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

holy depth of field on those pics.
looks awesome though!
Old 04-13-07, 08:49 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jxd
You might be surprised if you haven't been here in a while... this place is becoming the new downtown, and there's new stuff popping up every day. Personally I think this is the nicest hood in all of kaohsiung, but then I'm biased, wouldn't have bought a place here if I didn't like it
i haven't been back home for almost 8 years...so yes, don't know what it's like there.
Old 04-13-07, 09:38 AM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

Default Blue Crazy

Well now that I have the AC done... I looked around the car and realized, there isn't much else in the car to swap... just the ignition key ring, the button that makes my mirrors fold inwards when I park (I don't know if USA spec cars have this or not), and the controls on all the doors.

I took apart my drivers door today and replaced three of the LEDs so far. These are microLEDs to begin with, 3V powered, even a tiny bit smaller than my blue LEDs but probably only 1/3 as bright. I ran out of parts and the stores are closed so I'm going to finish my doors tomorrow.

Thank god I have my 125CC scooter to get me to the electronics store and back. I think the girl there thinks I'm stalking her, she shoots me a smile and calls me by name each time I walk in or out haha
Old 04-14-07, 06:16 AM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by jxd; 04-14-07 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 09:32 AM
njwong
Rookie

Man these last pics are hot.
Old 04-14-07, 11:55 AM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

doing a great there

...plan to change the lights on the shifter bezel also?
Old 04-14-07, 12:10 PM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by manila_boy
doing a great there
...plan to change the lights on the shifter bezel also?
I would love to - I am in desperate need of the service manual for the car though!! I used to have one for my honda and it told you how to take everything apart - on this car, I've just been flat out guessing! I took all the rear door panelling off just to figure out that the electronic panel could have just been yanked out I think I've been lucky not to break anything. I plugged my drivers side electronics back in and found the lights didn't work and 3 windows were not responding... then realized i had pressed the window lock button. And after finishing everything my car wouldn't start. But I was just out of batteries LOL. Gave it 30 mins of rest and the car started right up.
Old 04-14-07, 04:08 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you think you could also mod the radio with the led's ??
Old 04-15-07, 03:37 AM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

Default Radio

I've never opened up the radio as I never used the stock radio... I'm almost positive it'd be exactly the same as the AC though. Anything which uses bulbs or LEDs for lighting can be changed as long as they are not permenantly mounted (for example, if the LED is molded permenantly into the button or something, good luck changing it without cracking a button?) Search for ROCKER28's posts, he changed the colors on the radio I think!
Old 04-15-07, 09:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Awesome job jxd

I love the new look, esp. the buttons for the windows.

Where did you get those leds? I'm looking for flat ones like those.
Old 04-15-07, 10:24 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Very awesome

Great job!

Quick Reply: Mega Bright Blue AC Console mod