GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mega Bright Blue AC Console mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 11:58 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jxd
I've never opened up the radio as I never used the stock radio... I'm almost positive it'd be exactly the same as the AC though. Anything which uses bulbs or LEDs for lighting can be changed as long as they are not permenantly mounted (for example, if the LED is molded permenantly into the button or something, good luck changing it without cracking a button?) Search for ROCKER28's posts, he changed the colors on the radio I think!
imma try cause i want the radio and climate controls the same color
Old 04-15-07, 12:09 PM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Where did you get those leds? I'm looking for flat ones like those.
I bought a bunch of circuit board which already had those LEDs on them, because it was the only way they were available with such brightness. I unsoldered them one by one to use them in my applications. Out of 36 LEDs I fried like 7 just unsoldering them... they are pretty sensitive, but once in place, they are really awesome.

This is what they look like (next to canadian currency for contrast, funny how each LED is just about exactly the size of the letters "LED" in the top of that toonie...):

If you want enough LEDs (without including the radio) you'd need 4 circuit boards minimum. I could mail them to you but it'd probably come to about $60 USD altogether mailed to the USA... there might be cheaper options because like i said this is hacking an existing circuit board so it definitely costs more than if you could source out those LEDs (I couldn't tho, and I live in taiwan where they are made..). Suggest you check out what's available, I don't mind providing them if you need tho.

Also - here are the problems u will encounter
1) Some stuff runs on 12V, some runs on 3V. 3V u can directly stick these LEDs in... anything that previously was using an LED is 3V off the bat, so that's easy. The bulbs are all 12V powered - so u need some resistors. The ones for these LEDs are 1.5K ohm, those are mega cheap, if u need me to provide the LEDs i can include those.

2) The buttons on the AC are tricky - when i made my own LED replacements, i made them the same size as the original LEDs and this was not a good idea. You shold make them smaller and find a way to fit hte LEDs inside the plastic tunnel thing... you'll see if you try. If they stick out, they make the button harder to press and sometimes might even make the button not functional all together. This only affected me on one button luckily, but if I were to do it again, I'd keep that in mind ahead of time to ensure same-as-stock operation.

I love the interior =) Lexus should have done it stock haha
Old 04-15-07, 12:16 PM
jxd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
imma try cause i want the radio and climate controls the same color
Sweet!!! I'm sure it would make the stock radio wayyy nicer Post up pix when ur done!!

REMINDER TO EVERYBODY : Please take extreme caution when messing with your electronics! I'd hate to see a bunch of people with broken electronics on their hands~! It's not too hard of a mod if you can solder and know basic electronics... but still... be careful! Also, rememebr stock bulbs work in both polarities while LEDs only work in one (the negative and positive must be oriented the right way).
Old 05-15-07, 01:28 AM
I.B.dAt.Fo
Pole Position

dam i want to do this soooooo bad but i dont know where to find the leds, bulbs and resistors!! nice mod by the way! so tempted... hahah
Old 05-15-07, 04:11 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what a great upgrade to the stock lights, really matches everything togethor nicely
Old 07-19-07, 08:18 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice mods jerome, oh my teins came in! so next time ur in town we can compare the before and after!

i just got my old panasonic mp3 deck hu put in today, gotta look at free air subs. however mike at sounds good is doing a good job at convincing me to get a custom inclosure built under the rear deck, a small one to make the sub sound better =/
Old 07-19-07, 08:51 PM
David1969
Pole Position

At first i thought, OMFG it's 270 degrees?! Then i saw you're from Taiwan and figured it was 27 C. The lights look ok, but you're definetly right about the floor lighting being too ricey.: I also noticed your car doesn't have tiptronic shifting.

Great write-up and i'll be sure to NEVER try this as i'd like to keep my electrical system intact and NOT fried. I suck at anything mechanical much less electrical.

Awesome pics....
Old 07-19-07, 09:21 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Omg, that is such a nice steering wheel
Old 09-06-08, 05:56 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Nice!!!

Hey bro, you are welcome!! Great job on the DIY. It looks great!! So how hard would you say it was for you to get all the parts and time time to complete. You used the exact same method I did... Cool!!!

Rock
Attached Thumbnails Mega Bright Blue AC Console mod-disp.jpg  
Old 09-06-08, 05:57 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Cool Display

Here is the way it looked off....

Rock
Attached Thumbnails Mega Bright Blue AC Console mod-disp3.jpg  
Old 09-06-08, 05:58 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Display

Sorry, I always forget the pix...... Mods, gotta change this set up with uploading mods...

Thanks,
Rock
Attached Thumbnails Mega Bright Blue AC Console mod-disp3.jpg  
Old 09-07-08, 09:31 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jxd

NOT FAIR!!! I want power folding mirrors

-Joe
Old 09-07-08, 09:59 AM
j0xxx
Pole Position

so i have a quick question...... how are your controls in Celsius?

Last edited by j0xxx; 09-07-08 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-07-08, 10:12 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

that looks pretty sweet!
Old 09-07-08, 01:20 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by j0xxx
so i have a quick question...... how are your controls in Celsius?
he lives in taiwan..

Quick Reply: Mega Bright Blue AC Console mod