GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Retrofit Showoff!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 07:29 AM
MeenGrn02
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
im going to bump this thread. Im in the market for new headlights . I have poop green tint headlights non hid with 6k lights. Im not looking to spend 1000 but I want to find something thats clear lensed with better output for my hids. What do you guys suggest and or know of anyone who can do the ls430 mod with clear lesnes for me? If anyone has anything for sale or know anything please dm me. Ill even take factory clear lights and just wont run the self leveling. Its the last big piece i need done

I’d stick with the stock housings that you currently have and just resurface them. Then, if I had $1000 to spend on an upgrade, I’d go with RX350 AFS projectors, clear projector lenses and tuning spacers, upgraded Phillips HID bulbs (relative to factory RX350 Phillips bulbs) but stick with a color temp below 5000 kelvin, Luxury Mods brackets, high/low function relays so that you can run the projectors in high as well as the factory high beam, throw Sylvania Ultra Stars in your current high beams and call it a day. I’d then take the rest and use it to bullet proof that set up with new headlight sealant, wiring, etc. The Retrofit Source will be a pretty good source of products and knowledge for DIY.

You can utilize your stock housings and keep the Auto Headlight leveling that the car comes with stock. Just have to do your research, and I’m on my phone so I can’t readily access all the bookmarks that I have on my computer regarding projector retrofits with keeping auto level.

Last edited by MeenGrn02; 08-21-18 at 07:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dreamcar88 (08-21-18)
Old 08-21-18, 10:36 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MeenGrn02
I’d stick with the stock housings that you currently have and just resurface them. Then, if I had $1000 to spend on an upgrade, I’d go with RX350 AFS projectors, clear projector lenses and tuning spacers, upgraded Phillips HID bulbs (relative to factory RX350 Phillips bulbs) but stick with a color temp below 5000 kelvin, Luxury Mods brackets, high/low function relays so that you can run the projectors in high as well as the factory high beam, throw Sylvania Ultra Stars in your current high beams and call it a day. I’d then take the rest and use it to bullet proof that set up with new headlight sealant, wiring, etc. The Retrofit Source will be a pretty good source of products and knowledge for DIY.

You can utilize your stock housings and keep the Auto Headlight leveling that the car comes with stock. Just have to do your research, and I’m on my phone so I can’t readily access all the bookmarks that I have on my computer regarding projector retrofits with keeping auto level.
The RX350 projectors suck compared to the LS430's. My girl has a Rx350 and even when you turn a corner and the AFS system kicks in, the beam pattern's still not as wide as my LS430's Also, to make the AFS work on a GS would cost some money... if you can even get it to work.
Old 08-21-18, 01:55 PM
MeenGrn02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
The RX350 projectors suck compared to the LS430's. My girl has a Rx350 and even when you turn a corner and the AFS system kicks in, the beam pattern's still not as wide as my LS430's Also, to make the AFS work on a GS would cost some money... if you can even get it to work.
From factory, the RX350 projectors are limited, but if the RX350 you speak of is of any age, its bulbs are most likely pretty worn and could be refreshed. Is the RX350 projector as wide as the LS430? No, but they are better price, more readily available, and have a high/low functionality. With your stock outlevel, you will only be able to retain vertical that as it is adjusted via the suspension. The actual horizontal AFS will not work, but in order to get the high/low beam RX350 projector, you need to buy the AFS projector as it is the only OE high/low HID projector when that vehicle was produced.
Old 08-21-18, 04:02 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a LX470 that I retrofitted a pair of SC430 projectors in with a clear lens and they are tied with Honda S2000 projectors with width and Intensity. One if you can get your hands on a set of them your in business
Old 08-21-18, 06:21 PM
Lexusjg1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working on my Ls430 retro. Everything works fine just waiting on new headlights.
Old 08-21-18, 07:05 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Get ready for similar results. I'm running CBI 5500k bulbs and yes they are bright.

Beam pattern is wide as hell. Camera phone can't capture all the light.

Coming home on the interstate, 4 lanes on both sides of the Hwy, and I'm in the farthest right lane where u merge on and off the highway. My beam shoots across the 4 lanes in my direction, across the shoulder and across the 4 lanes on the opposite side & up in the trees (opposite side of the Hwy)
​​​​​​​
Old 08-21-18, 11:14 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MeenGrn02
From factory, the RX350 projectors are limited, but if the RX350 you speak of is of any age, its bulbs are most likely pretty worn and could be refreshed. Is the RX350 projector as wide as the LS430? No, but they are better price, more readily available, and have a high/low functionality. With your stock outlevel, you will only be able to retain vertical that as it is adjusted via the suspension. The actual horizontal AFS will not work, but in order to get the high/low beam RX350 projector, you need to buy the AFS projector as it is the only OE high/low HID projector when that vehicle was produced.
You are correct about the cost and availability. I didn't catch the part about hi/low functionality, my bad lol. My girl has an 09 Rx350 which is only a low beam projector. I think they changed to bi xenon for 2010 models and I have no experience with those.
Old 08-22-18, 05:50 AM
MeenGrn02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
You are correct about the cost and availability. I didn't catch the part about hi/low functionality, my bad lol. My girl has an 09 Rx350 which is only a low beam projector. I think they changed to bi xenon for 2010 models and I have no experience with those.

And I’m sorry for not clarifying that it was a 2010+ projector. The Bi-xenon are pretty good projectors, not as wide as the LS430, but the trade off is price, availability, hi/low function, and performance. I have never read an RX-350 Bi-xenon retrofit thread where the user has been disappointed by the results. Yes, the LS430 beats it in width, but I also haven’t seen sole LS430 projectors for sale, in a while, it seems that they are coming in headlights that are running for at least $600 per headlight.
Old 10-06-18, 08:09 PM
n1ck
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone happen to have the diameter of the Q45 projector face and/or the little circles? I found one post saying the face is 7" but another saying they're 160mm. Haven't found anything on small circles.
Old 12-09-18, 04:05 AM
PlatGS3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got tired of output from factory hid..so I pulled the trigger and did my first retrofit. Start to finish maybe 10-12 hours. OEM halogen headlamps, NHK G5R projectors, Osram CBI bulbs, Apollo 2.0 Shroud, Hylux 45 Watt ballasts. Planning on switching or doing another retrofit with the new Morimoto 5.0 D2S projectors, always liked the rx350 slope cutoff.
Old 12-09-18, 07:01 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I am working on my retrofit. Morimoto D2S 5.0 Bi Zenon for the low beams and profile LED for DRL and high beams. Still working on this setup. TRS is local to me so I just drive down there and match my parts. Have to clean them up and install my lens. Still trying to decide what bulbs to go with.

Had to trim the crap out of the shroud to fit in the tight space for the high beam.
I will post more pics of the finished product.
The following 2 users liked this post by BiGEZ:
Agent$mith (03-17-20), tiguy99 (01-08-19)
Old 12-10-18, 06:35 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
I am working on my retrofit. Morimoto D2S 5.0 Bi Zenon for the low beams and profile LED for DRL and high beams. Still working on this setup. TRS is local to me so I just drive down there and match my parts. Have to clean them up and install my lens. Still trying to decide what bulbs to go with.

Had to trim the crap out of the shroud to fit in the tight space for the high beam.
That looks really clean. Are you going to clear your turns if you're going with LEDs? Also if you don't have it already the tap turn relay has some pretty cool features. The only downside is that changing it is a pain. I had to undo the parking brake (and steering ECU to get to the parking brake) to get enough space to swap it out.
Old 12-10-18, 07:09 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks, I like how it is coming along. Yes, I plan to remove the yellow turn signal reflector and get the tap turn relay. Thanks for the heads up on replacing that relay.
I have the LED mirror turn signal with puddle light I will be installing once I get it back from the paint shop. to compliment the use of the tap relay.
Old 12-10-18, 10:36 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

that looks great Bigez
Old 12-12-18, 02:58 PM
Typ2nuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deja vu mu$&@ f&*=#@...

Originally Posted by BiGEZ

I'm damn near a mirror of your set up. Just left Nick at TRS. Which shrouds did you butcher to fit the hisense? Just opened mine to paint and trying to fit mini d2s 5.0 in housing..🤔😫. Let the grinding begin😫.

Last edited by Typ2nuk; 12-12-18 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add photo

Quick Reply: Retrofit Showoff!