GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

some good reasons to mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07 | 10:23 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

Unhappy some good reasons to mod?

i've had my gs300 for 8 mos now and i've seen some nice cars on this forum. i would like to mod also but the wife thinks it's childish. what excuses do you guy have for me to convince my wife to let me do some mods.......any suggestions besides divorce?
Old 04-15-07 | 11:26 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

For one, you can let her know that intake will increase your gas mileage and save you money. Of course, when you add the intake your gas mileage will drop slightly because you are going to want to hear the engine growl. But just dont let her know about the second part.
Old 04-16-07 | 12:13 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

I tell mine that it needed to be replaced anyway at 90k. And for a little more it can be much much better.
Old 04-16-07 | 12:32 AM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

for things like intake and etc, i would just mod it and not tell her about it since i doubt she will notice anythiing.
Old 04-16-07 | 02:24 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dusouth
i've had my gs300 for 8 mos now and i've seen some nice cars on this forum. i would like to mod also but the wife thinks it's childish. what excuses do you guy have for me to convince my wife to let me do some mods.......any suggestions besides divorce?
Tell her it's cheaper than going to the strip club with the guys.

I mod because I am unique and I want my vehicle to reflect that.
Otherwise, I suppose we could all drive white Camrys...
Old 04-16-07 | 03:54 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Tell her that better road-holding and suspension leads to greater safety while driving!
Old 04-16-07 | 04:03 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
Tell her that better road-holding and suspension leads to greater safety while driving!
Well, it's very true. I've gotten out of some very serious jams before with the help of my upgraded suspension, brakes, and tires. If not for the upgrades I know I would be driving a different car right now. Just ask everyone else here with big brake upgrades how much it really helps in an emergency situation.
Old 04-16-07 | 04:21 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

i agree with bob

i tell my wife point blank , pick your poision, its either let me do my thing with the boys ,which is most of the time in our garages , or you will find me down at the local strip joint from time to time .which one is it

furthermore its my money , i worked for it but overall when you have a home , kids , family its all about balance in life..i have 4 kids from 17 to 5 so my time and finances get split up accordingly , home is always first then my car modding and enjoyment thereof
Old 04-16-07 | 05:31 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I've found that a small piece of jewelry now and then can cover quite a few mods.
Old 04-16-07 | 05:42 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

If its the ONLY car in the family, she may have legit reliability concerns, that may be 'offset' by a lil education. If she has her own car.....she should stop being the fun police
Old 04-16-07 | 06:48 AM
kit cat

every GS needs better brakes.

on a side note, I hope she's not mechanically inclined like my girlfriend...I'm not mechanically challenged but my g/f swapped an engine before and she's telling me that I cant mod my GS since we're both in school (which is a legit reason and I cant argue against that..grrr..). if i even touch my GS, she'll know and i'm dead.
Old 04-16-07 | 07:21 AM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

I never allowed it to get to that point, I tell my wife what I'm doing, I dont ask her. Its my money and as long as the mortgage and bills are paid for I'm allowed to do whatever.
Old 04-16-07 | 09:39 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by natnut
I two that one. That's what I said to my own when my suspension mods came in. She's like, "what car junk did u get this time?". One thing I've learned is that all mods are not soley for looks and style.
Old 04-16-07 | 09:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Before we married, I told her that there are 3 things I will do to the cars: slight lowering, wheels and tint. Wife has concerns about mods yet these are pretty mild.

A boyfriend hacked the springs on his car resulting in a stiff jarring ride. She hated being in his car so the mindset was influenced by that ding-dong. When she discovered lowering didn't always = stiff and bounce. Fixed that issue.

If she drives, it, keep her happy. If it is your ride, I feel it can be done to your tastes. Since ours is shared, we've found a balance. She liked it stock but agreed she enjoys it more with some "touches". Not all females share or understand the mod bug...possibly once she experiences a well done one...she will view it differently.

My adivce: Don't bribe her...that will begin a long treadmill of concessions that will last the rest of your life. Spend $XX she'll ask for $XX also. Talk it out so it's understood. I know a couple guys who operate this way...builds lots of resentment unless you have lots of $$$ to play this way.
Old 04-16-07 | 11:20 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Good advice.. You should also educate her on mods and try to bring her in on your interests of modding

Quick Reply: some good reasons to mod?