GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some noob advice on moving to the Pioneer AVIC-D3

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 01:08 PM
mtschirret
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some noob advice on moving to the Pioneer AVIC-D3

I have a stock '01 GS300 and was thinking of buying the Pioneer AVIC-D3. I have searched and read up on what is needed--so far, I have gathered that it can be done, I will need the double din adapter and will lose the use of the stock sub. Buying from Crutchfield, I plan to get the Bluetooth and Sirius modules installed, along with the iPod adapter. I have additional questions that I would really value some advice on:

- Will I need a special wire harness adapter?
- Where can I get a double-din adapter faceplate that will match the color of my existing stock plate?
- Will there be any issue with the car security features?
- Assuming I can use them, what should I expect as far as sound on the stock speaker setup? If not, what should I replace them with?
- Can I use my stock sub with some sort of modification? If not, what should I replace it with?
- Can I use my stock amp with some sort of modification? If not, what should I replace it with?
- What happens to my CD changer? Can it still be used?
- Is there anything else that has to be kept in mind?

I will be having someone else do this for me (anyone know any good installers in Raleigh, NC?) and would like to have the car remain as "factory" looking as possible. I had horrible rattles after my Sirius Starbase was installed, and don't want to have to go through that again.

Apologies in advance for all the questions, but I know this is the right place to get the answers Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Best Regards,

Michael Tschirret
Old 04-18-07, 02:49 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- regular toyota harness (you need to extend these wires)
- carson toyota for the oem double din kit
- no, shouldn't be
- stock speakers are stock speakers
- will not be able to use stock sub (i asked too, haven't got an easy DIY yet)
- no, you will have to unplug your stock amp plugs to plug into the regular toyota harness
- no your cd changer will not work without modification (PM lexusaudio for modding service)
- keep in mind that you have to tap into a new ignition/switched wire source as the plugs from the stock amp does not have an ignition/switched wire (you can test and find an ignition/switched wire from the original radio plugs)