GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-01 | 01:51 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Default Need help with a problem

I recently switched from my original factor rubber brake lines to the Rod Millen Stainless Steel brake lines. After a while, I've come to not like the hardened feel they add to my brakes. So I called up Lexus and asked about switching my brake lines back to factory rubber ones. I was shocked when they told me, including labor, it would come out to $300.

I pretty much told them I wasn't interested in paying $300 for some rubber and that was the end of my conversation with them. But now I'm left with the question of how to switch back to rubber brake lines in a reasonable manner?

I definitely don't feel that it's worth paying over $100 including labor to switch back to rubber brake lines. It's not a matter of money, but rather principle. I have already been overcharged by Lexus service in the past and don't want to make a habit of it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 11-30-01 | 02:02 PM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Kidding, RIGHT?

Brake pedal actuation become too hard with stainless steel brake lines...

You're kidding us, aren't you?

Have you ever driven a car without power brakes? NOW THAT"S HARD !!!

You want to go back to rubber brake lines so that your power brake system has to pump them up like a balloon before the brakes start to actuate, are you really sure about this?

On the other hand I find myself wondering if the new stainless steel brakes lines aren't somehow interfering, dynamically, with your automatic brake force distribution, your anti-lock braking system, the braking mode of your VSC systems or the PANIC braking sensing ECU.

But after all this if you still want to go back to the old rubber then go back to the shop that installed the stainless steel ones and make sure the ones they installed are DOT approved for use on your car. If it turns out they are not approved then ask the shop to return you to the original ones that undoubtedly are approved.

Good luck.

Last edited by willard west; 11-30-01 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-30-01 | 02:08 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Default willard west

willard west,

You're kidding us, aren't you?
-Why would I do that? I'm just looking for some answers to make my brakes have a softer feel that gives in more when I press down. I've grown extremely tired of the hard-to-press feel my brakes currently have.

I'm not saying what I think is right, but rather that my preference is for them to be soft with more give.
Old 11-30-01 | 03:48 PM
RacingAristo

So do you still have the stock rubber lines? If not, you can order them from Steve. He offers the best price on TRD and Lexus stock parts IMO, plus great guy to deal with.

You can take your car to any reputable shop and they would charge you less than $300. I think I got quote $200 for the full Supra TT kit installation. So go figure.
Old 11-30-01 | 03:59 PM
RacingAristo

So do you still have the stock rubber lines? If not, you can order them from Steve. He offers the best price on TRD and Lexus stock parts IMO, plus great guy to deal with.

You can take your car to any reputable shop and they would charge you less than $300. I think I got quote $200 for the full Supra TT kit installation. So go figure.